Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Locking phone in car possible/Key card functionally questions.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a youtube made by a surfer who melted the key card in acetone to get the chip and antenna, then built a key shaped object that he attached to his wetsuit. Shouldn't be too difficult to find

There was a story about a woman who had it implanted in her hand, IIRC. Always with her, never lost. Change car models? No biggie: Just return to the doctor and remove it and replace with whatever the new car uses.

We don't wear wetsuits here. Well, scuba divers do, and some hardcore freedivers/spearfishers. For paddling and some casual snorkeling/freediving we don't. And I can bring the OtterBox for other activities, such as the Pilates studio where I don't need or want the phone.

I also have a plastic card-holder with a keyring attached. I never use it, but it would be another solution. I actually used it once: When I had my car shipped here. The shipper expected to be able to put car keys on a keyring. This made that possible. (I also printed a sheet clearly explaining the card's use.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Ormond
Today my 5 2/3 year old iPhone SE was (I'm nearly certain) at least half full when I shut off the BT and the ringer so I could leave it in the car. When I came back 3+ hours later the phone had shut itself off and would not start, due to the battery being empty. The key card let me drive home, but now I'm wondering if 5 2/3 years is the useful life of an iPhone SE battery.

Today my 5 2/3 year old iPhone SE was (I'm nearly certain) at least half full when I shut off the BT and the ringer so I could leave it in the car. When I came back 3+ hours later the phone had shut itself off and would not start, due to the battery being empty. The key card let me drive home, but now I'm wondering if 5 2/3 years is the useful life of an iPhone SE battery.
Was it still getting updates to the OS? If not, it may be time for a new one.

Apple did replace some bad batteries under warranty a while ago. Check with Apple to see if you’re entitled to a battery replacement.

On a phone that's almost six years old? And that only did this after I foolishly upgraded to the latest version of iOS. (Well, I upgraded partly because a couple of apps would not upgrade without a more recent OS.)

I've gone into my settings and shut off a lot of stuff that was either off or didn't exist before, but that the upgrade turned on. Hopefully it will be okay now. The phone tells me that the battery has 86% of original capacity. It also showed me that apparently it was the camera that was draining the battery while the phone was in the car. Which is weird.

As for upgrading, the iPhone SE 2020 does not get great reviews. Only three stars on Verizon's website.

I saw a youtube made by a surfer who melted the key card in acetone to get the chip and antenna, then built a key shaped object that he attached to his wetsuit. Shouldn't be too difficult to find
that's brilliant!
I almost always have a watch on - if i can melt a keycard and put in a small rectangle (3d printed or otherwise) i might be able to store that in the bottom of my watch clasp (inside the clasp recess) - and then i'd always have a key on me.
at about $17 each, i could have one for each watch that has enough room.
i'm not sure if the metal would interfere or if i could just hold the bottom of the watch to the car, but it presents options. thank you!

that's brilliant!
I almost always have a watch on - if i can melt a keycard and put in a small rectangle (3d printed or otherwise) i might be able to store that in the bottom of my watch clasp (inside the clasp recess) - and then i'd always have a key on me.
at about $17 each, i could have one for each watch that has enough room.
i'm not sure if the metal would interfere or if i could just hold the bottom of the watch to the car, but it presents options. thank you!

FWIW, the card pocket I got for my phone blocks the signal. I have to remove the card from the pocket to use it. Not a problem because the phone doesn't fail often. But it might be relevant to your watch idea.

Also, don't know how spread out the antenna has to be. In the card, I think it goes all the way around the edge. And the card has to be just about touching for the car to see it.

great video, thanks! i'm thinking there is NO WAY it will work as intended in my watch - the metal will likely shield it. however, idea number 2 - still do the watch thing, but then remove it, and if necessary unravel it to use - if i can't use it as a daily key (why would i want to, i go everywhere with my phone) but still, in an emergency it may be able to get the job done. so, a small rectangle, antenna mostly around the permiter, more to store than anything else, and bob's yer (my) uncle! (maybe!)

Been at this for a few weeks now. I just turn my phone off and leave it in the car.

Tessie Apple Watch app solves everything (you need cell signal) or carry key…or both.

Yes, the key card will always be used to lock/unlock the vehicle and start up the Tesla vehicle to be able to to drive. You don't have to turn off your phone, just turn off Bluetooth. For additional security of your Tesla vehicle consider using PIN to drive. This requires a 4 digit PIN every time you step on the brake pedal while the Tesla vehicle is in the Park shifter position. With PIN to drive no one can just hop into your Tesla vehicle and drive off. You can also set a PIN for the glove box.
Just reading this as I like to leave my iPhone in the glove box when I go to the park with the dogs wearing my Apple Watch with Watchla. Been doing this for awhile and finally noticed that the car could unlock just by using the door handle. Glad no one else tried it 😅