Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is model 3 going to ever offer a Sub 3 sec car?!

Model 3 fastest version will be Sub 3 Sec or NOT!!

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just think it's a bad idea to create a mass market car that has supercar acceleration.

(Personal opinions follow which a whole lot of you will not agree with I am sure).

I so agree with Electroman. So many supercars get wrecked, many soon after their first-time supercar owner picks them up - sometimes with disastrous consequences, sometimes with just really bad financial consequences.

I think Elon/Tesla needs to decide what the message is - the safest car on the road, or one of the most dangerous (in the hands of certain drivers)?

The many videos on Youtube showing inexperienced drivers trying to best 0-60 times of others (many on neighborhood roads) suggesting the masses WILL use that acceleration if it is there.

The question is WHY is it there? It's cool, it gets media attention, it's exhilarating to experience (IF you have the skills to use it) - but this should be a track only experience where the (other) masses are not exposed to the risk that the driver does not have the reflexes to deal with vehicle performance.

This has not needed to be legislated against in the past, as that kind of performance has not been available to the masses. And perhaps it won't need to be - because perhaps manufacturers will realize just because it CAN, does not mean it's a good idea.

As power went up in many production cars, limiters started to be used for top-end. Perhaps responsible vendors will simply not enable the vehicles to accelerate as fast as they could. Again, the question becomes why is it necessary? And yes I feel this is just as true for MS and even more so MX. Ludicrous mode is well named, for me it is the only real tarnish on an amazing technological achievement.

How many accidents have been linked to Ludicrous mode? Quite a number for people just driving too fast, but Ludicrous doesn't increase the top speed.
Idiots with money have always been able to buy vehicles with performance capabilities well above their own.

Reactions: ev-now
How many accidents have been linked to Ludicrous mode? Quite a number for people just driving too fast, but Ludicrous doesn't increase the top speed.
Idiots with money have always been able to buy vehicles with performance capabilities well above their own.
Perhaps it'll be the opposite in the future. Maybe when there are quicker, more affordable, more responsive vehicles on the road, the average driver will be able to learn how to handle them due to increased experience (and the unfortunate Darwinism to weed out those who can't handle them).

Perhaps it'll be the opposite in the future. Maybe when there are quicker, more affordable, more responsive vehicles on the road, the average driver will be able to learn how to handle them due to increased experience (and the unfortunate Darwinism to weed out those who can't handle them).

You can buy 50k cars that will run sub 11 seconds now
used Hellcat and Charger
both run under 1/4 mile 11 sec times

(Personal opinions follow which a whole lot of you will not agree with I am sure).

I so agree with Electroman. So many supercars get wrecked, many soon after their first-time supercar owner picks them up - sometimes with disastrous consequences, sometimes with just really bad financial consequences.

I think Elon/Tesla needs to decide what the message is - the safest car on the road, or one of the most dangerous (in the hands of certain drivers)?

The many videos on Youtube showing inexperienced drivers trying to best 0-60 times of others (many on neighborhood roads) suggesting the masses WILL use that acceleration if it is there.

The question is WHY is it there? It's cool, it gets media attention, it's exhilarating to experience (IF you have the skills to use it) - but this should be a track only experience where the (other) masses are not exposed to the risk that the driver does not have the reflexes to deal with vehicle performance.

This has not needed to be legislated against in the past, as that kind of performance has not been available to the masses. And perhaps it won't need to be - because perhaps manufacturers will realize just because it CAN, does not mean it's a good idea.

As power went up in many production cars, limiters started to be used for top-end. Perhaps responsible vendors will simply not enable the vehicles to accelerate as fast as they could. Again, the question becomes why is it necessary? And yes I feel this is just as true for MS and even more so MX. Ludicrous mode is well named, for me it is the only real tarnish on an amazing technological achievement.

Actually there are very few supercar crashes compared with the amount that are on the road.
The % is less than a "luxury sedan" type BMW Mercedes etc

Reactions: Red Sage
You can buy 50k cars that will run sub 11 seconds now
used Hellcat and Charger
both run under 1/4 mile 11 sec times
I wouldn't exactly call those common. Your run of the mill Charger is going 0-60 in over 6 seconds.
In addition, the build quality and dependability of any FCA car leaves something to be desired.

Hellcat performance isn't nearly as quick as ludicrous mode. Furthermore the majority of cars with a supercharger have a fairly noticeable delay after asking for power before it's actually delivered by the vehicle (slower than the speed of thought). This is especially true when you compare it to the response of an electric motor.

I wouldn't exactly call those common. Your run of the mill Charger is going 0-60 in over 6 seconds.
In addition, the build quality and dependability of any FCA car leaves something to be desired.

Hellcat performance isn't nearly as quick as ludicrous mode. Furthermore the majority of cars with a supercharger have a fairly noticeable delay after asking for power before it's actually delivered by the vehicle (slower than the speed of thought). This is especially true when you compare it to the response of an electric motor.

i was making the point that there are quick affordable autos on the road now.
MS in ludicrous mode is also much easier to drive than the cars similar to the hellcat, which is another plus for tesla.
hellcat speed is almost identical as ms ludicrous in 1/4 mile so i'm not sure what you're trying to say in that regard. i can assure you driving a high powered ICE car is more dangerous than the Tesla in any form.
TESLA rocks in that regard!!

Last edited:
i was making the point that there are quick affordable autos on the road now.
MS in ludicrous mode is also much easier to drive than the cars similar to the hellcat, which is another plus for tesla.
hellcat speed is almost identical as ms ludicrous in 1/4 mile so i'm not sure what you're trying to say in that regard. i can assure you driving a high powered ICE car is more dangerous than the Tesla in any form.
TESLA rocks in that regard!!
I agree Teslas rock, point about the hellcat is that it's slower to accelerate and therefore more forgiving if you have trouble with your footwork and change your mind about accelerating.

Similar to messing up your throttle control on a sport bike vs a Harley.

Actually there are very few supercar crashes compared with the amount that are on the road.
The % is less than a "luxury sedan" type BMW Mercedes etc
I couldn't actually find statistics to support either of our positions on that - where did you get yours from? Mine was certainly not based on anything else other than watching the Porsche dealer near my home as I grew up - and how many 911's found their way off the road ass-forward on the first roundabout and the media loving to report crash supercars (as much as they love to report crashed Teslas - but there are more supercars on the road to draw from).

I couldn't actually find statistics to support either of our positions on that - where did you get yours from? Mine was certainly not based on anything else other than watching the Porsche dealer near my home as I grew up - and how many 911's found their way off the road ass-forward on the first roundabout and the media loving to report crash supercars (as much as they love to report crashed Teslas - but there are more supercars on the road to draw from).
Basing your position on the 911 adds another layer because of the rear engine layout and semi-trailing arm rear suspension design. Not sure when you were growing up, but older 911's are notorious for "snap oversteer" and have bitten plenty of novices as well as experienced drivers.

Basing your position on the 911 adds another layer because of the rear engine layout and semi-trailing arm rear suspension design. Not sure when you were growing up, but older 911's are notorious for "snap oversteer" and have bitten plenty of novices as well as experienced drivers.

True. Then again for contemporary reference, the first Hellcat in CO was totalled within an hour of leaving the dealership ... Not a true supercar but more evidence that people over-estimate their abilities with powerful vehicles.

Is there any data that correlates mortality and accidents with acceleration? Do these people crash during the acceleration or simply by travelling too fast for the environment? People crash all the time in all sorts of cars, but how many are from "surprise" accelerations?

I understand the points you're all making, but it's anecdotal. Is a quick car really that dangerous?

Is there any data that correlates mortality and accidents with acceleration? Do these people crash during the acceleration or simply by travelling too fast for the environment? People crash all the time in all sorts of cars, but how many are from "surprise" accelerations?

I understand the points you're all making, but it's anecdotal. Is a quick car really that dangerous?
It generally understood that a quick car/motorcycle is dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced driver. A higher top speed is far less dangerous because at over 40mph if you're going to die, you're still going to die but if it takes you 10 seconds to get there then a slower thinking individual can react a bit differently.

My point is not that they are dangerous per se, it's just people need more experience with them than the slow horse and buggies they are used to.

There are more idiots without money. They just don't have the funds to make it visible.

Just kidding.

• Funny