Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Model 3 your only car?

Is the Model 3/EV your only car?

• Model 3/EV is my only car

Votes: 84 54.5%
  • I have other cars besides Model 3/EV

Votes: 70 45.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only the Model 3 here since May. My ultimate test was a cross country trip I make yearly to Vegas from Chicago. 31 hour trip straight through with only supercharger stops. A bit of food and sleep when needed and on we go!

Zero range anxiety, 100 percent enjoyment.

Reactions: Ciditad
My other car is a 2006 Acura TL Type S. Best and most reliable car I've ever owned. It's funny how transitioning from the Acura to the Model 3 was so easy. They have similar handling characteristics and ride quality.

The Model 3 is a bit quicker accelerating, but I can go 460 miles with the Acura, which lets me get up North. We don't have an extended Supercharging network yet in Wisconsin. Hopefully that will change soon.

Reactions: Ciditad
I've almost always had an ICE car alongside an EV due to range. However the Model 3 is now my only car and I'm curious how many of you run EV only in your stable?
Yup. Had provisionally planned to keep the Camry Hybrid for the teenager to occasionally drive, but managed to get enough for it on a private sale that we're now an EV-only house. Even before the Model 3 we were putting maybe 90% of our miles on the Bolt, so once we had two EVs and one of them on the Supercharger network that was a very natural step. The only downside is that we now don't have a "liability only" vehicle, so insurance will bite in before long.....might even be worth getting bargain basement, cash-only BEV?

That means it's a good chance that of my four kids, three could very likely never drive an ICE outside of possibly borrowing someone else's (around here driver trainers seem to like Corollas, for example). This is ahead of schedule for even for what I expected 2 years ago. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
While my Model 3 isn't our sole car, our other car is a Model S, so both electric. Not sure if the poll was created due to concern of having an EV powered car as your sole transporation mode but assume so. After having our MS for more than a year, I lost all qualms about going totally EV for our household and before that knowing my car was old (17 years) and a new car would be in the picture soon. I originally did toy with the idea of having an ICE along side our MS but I've had ICE cars that have needed maintenance/repair issues and have been without for sometime so really don't see how owning an EV would be any different. There are always loaners or rentals if need be. I certainly don't have range anxiety like I probably did in the beginning, and certainly not with our Model 3 LR vehicle. Our 75D MS has taken us everywhere we wanted to go and it has less range than our Model 3.

Yep, i own just model 3, but spouse has old Toyota RAV4. She actually hates model 3 screen, it makes her dizzy. For me it will be hard to convert her to EV if not possible.

If the map portion bothers her then maybe bring up the music panel and extend it upwards to cover the map. Or maybe you can dim the map portion (screen brightness?). I wonder what about it makes her dizzy is it the moving icon of the car on the map and the changing satellite or road map screens? I was concerned about the position of the sole screen and where the nav directions were placed (progressive lens user) but neither are an issue for me. The change from right to left on the screen of the directions has helped and the sole screen I guess I adapted to it fairly quickly.

All EV for more than 3.5 years. The Model 3 replaced a leased e-Golf. The last ICE I purchased was a 2004 Accord 4cyl 5sp manual. It was traded in for the RAV4 EV in 2013.

2001.5 Passat GLX FWD Wagon -> 2015 e-Golf -> 2018 Model 3 LR RWD
2004 Accord LX 5sp -> 2012 RAV4 EV

I cannot imagine buying another ICE car. Ever.

Reactions: Emmexx1
I had a RAV4 with 315k miles on it that I planned to keep, but the transmission started to slip, so I ended up selling it to a salvage yard about 2 weeks before my model 3 arrived. That was in September and I have survived without any real issues with just the model 3.

But, to be fair my dad does have an extra vehicle and lives in the same town as I do. So, I do have a backup other than a rental car if I ever really needed it. I had to use it for the 2 weeks between the RAV4 dying and the model 3 delivery. I also used it while it was in the shop getting a paint protection film and ceramic coating for 2 days.

I have an 08' f250 Diesel truck that I have to have for work (general contractor) the 3 we bought in april replaced 2 cars (2013 passat tdi and a 2014 bmw 535d) I almost pulled the trigger on another 3 but decided we can get by with one car but I have to say whenever I have to use the truck for an errand (thats not for work) its always kind of sad, love driving the 3!

All EV for more than 3.5 years. The Model 3 replaced a leased e-Golf. The last ICE I purchased was a 2004 Accord 4cyl 5sp manual. It was traded in for the RAV4 EV in 2013.

2001.5 Passat GLX FWD Wagon -> 2015 e-Golf -> 2018 Model 3 LR RWD
2004 Accord LX 5sp -> 2012 RAV4 EV

I cannot imagine buying another ICE car. Ever.
I have been considering a used Rav4 EV for work. May use tax credit to pick one up, if any are available at a decent price/condition.