Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my Model 3 totaled

totaled?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the car turn on and the main screen all seems to work fine?
Can the car be driven?
Then it might be possible to salvage.
Insurance company decides which is cheaper - total or salvage.
car would not drive after hit. Screen was still on but it said something like battery fault, or limiting battery power etc. When i tried to see where car was the next day with app it wouldnt load. When I went to auto impound on Sunday (1.5 days after wreck) key would not open doors.

What we can’t see is whether the drive unit or frame or suspension are damaged. It’s possible the drive unit is OK; both rear wheels are straight as an arrow.

Here’s what’s left of our Enclave after a deer hit. $16k+ in repairs and it’ll be back on the road (in theory.) I thought for sure it was gone - airbags popped and everything. But we’re nowhere near the total-out threshold. ACV is about $36k; the initial repair estimate was $16k. That plus salvage value ($6k-ish) is nowhere near the ACV, so we’re stuck repairing a vehicle I don’t want back.

Now, on the OPs car, if the DU or battery are compromised, or the frame is twisted, I’d be pretty sure it’s a goner. But to just assume right away, not so much. The adjuster has to do their thing - best not to jump to conclusions and give them time to do what they do. It’s one of those processes we have no control over, so no sense worrying about it ....

View attachment 492446
the primary reason was to get a general idea if it was so that I could get idea if worth risking 100 dollars to start order of new Model 3 since they have a 4 to 7 week delivery window. As once they total it out, I have 4 days to return the rental.

car would not drive after hit. Screen was still on but it said something like battery fault, or limiting battery power etc. When i tried to see where car was the next day with app it wouldnt load. When I went to auto impound on Sunday (1.5 days after wreck) key would not open doors.
It probably drained the 12V battery, which happened to me when the collision took out the charging port and the wiring around it. At the tow yard I was able to get into the car by connecting a jumper cable after getting the frunk open (see manual for instructions).

I hope you get a new car delivered. If you are flexible you can probably take delivery this year and get the rebate.

Asked my brother who is a claims adjuster...he said he would bet $1 million that it is a total loss. I guess his credibility is now on the line.

so far now allstate is saying it is fixable. see another post below with the attachment of the estimate that is laughable.

so far now allstate is saying it is fixable. see another post below with the attachment of the estimate that is laughable.

unfortunately, the “total or repair?” call isn’t ours. And if they get into it and find it needs a bunch more work, they’re likely to press on and fix it, otherwise the money already invested is wasted.

So sorry - it would’ve probably been easier if they just totaled it out. I’m into month 3 waiting for repairs on our Enclave. Really wish it had been totaled!

Reactions: C141medic
so I have had a majority of everyone i talk to say it is totaled. I also have a delivery for a new one set for 12/31 as i got lucky and there was one in state left that met my order. However, i got estimate of damages back from allstate today. They estimate it at 11k. The claims folks, and my local agents think its totaled but what ever appraisal team they use thinks its 11k. What makes it worse, since i have new car replacement, they will not go off of fair market value to total it, they are now going off of the full replacement cost to decide if totaled or not. fml

I have a feeling they will still total it but it is going to take weeks probably until they get it to a tesla approved shop to get on a lift. So not happening in time for tax credit which means I am out thousands of more dollars from someone else hitting me. Since Tesla also wont refund a 2 day old acceleration boost upgrading. (got to love the customer obsession)

Attachments

• model-3-claim-estimate.pdf
    52.7 KB · Views: 141
unfortunately, the “total or repair?” call isn’t ours. And if they get into it and find it needs a bunch more work, they’re likely to press on and fix it, otherwise the money already invested is wasted.

So sorry - it would’ve probably been easier if they just totaled it out. I’m into month 3 waiting for repairs on our Enclave. Really wish it had been totaled!
totally agreed it isnt our call. just funny that even insurance folks have said it. I wish mine was simply repairable in a timely manner as i would like it back over having to lose thousands of dollars even when not my fault. But I just dont see this as being a simple repair or a timely repair. I will probably be out my car almost longer than I have had it.

so I have had a majority of everyone i talk to say it is totaled. I also have a delivery for a new one set for 12/31 as i got lucky and there was one in state left that met my order. However, i got estimate of damages back from allstate today. They estimate it at 11k. The claims folks, and my local agents think its totaled but what ever appraisal team they use thinks its 11k. What makes it worse, since i have new car replacement, they will not go off of fair market value to total it, they are now going off of the full replacement cost to decide if totaled or not. fml

I have a feeling they will still total it but it is going to take weeks probably until they get it to a tesla approved shop to get on a lift. So not happening in time for tax credit which means I am out thousands of more dollars from someone else hitting me. Since Tesla also wont refund a 2 day old acceleration boost upgrading. (got to love the customer obsession)

Yeah that is a pretty silly estimate. I guess if I were in your situation I would go ahead and buy a new car and just get rid of this one, one way or the other. But understood there may be constraints that make it difficult. Presumably makes the diminishment of value claim more concrete too, though I have no idea.

Anyway, do periodically update us as to what happens.

Reactions: C141medic
Yeah that is a pretty silly estimate. I guess if I were in your situation I would go ahead and buy a new car and just get rid of this one, one way or the other. But understood there may be constraints that make it difficult. Presumably makes the diminishment of value claim more concrete too, though I have no idea.

Anyway, do periodically update us as to what happens.
will do. I just got done yelling at everyone (I tried being the nicest person in the world with having spent all week on hold for 3 plus hours with them not knowing how their own gap coverage policy worked). But to then get this quote made no sense. They are going to get another person out there hopefully on Monday and call a few shops to get more information and hopefully have a better response before I have to cancel my order.

And this is exactly the problem asking opinions on whether or not totalled. It is so widely variable dependent upon the exact specifics, and a small difference in the hit can mean a difference of thousand$$. I would also push for a second estimate, but if they're coming up with $11,000 I don't think it's anywhere close.

I agree seems a bit low, but I'm curious to see what they come up with on their second shot. I understand why you hedged the bet the way you did, but thought you were jumping the gun, and this is why. So, to clarify, you order the new car with the acceleration boost upgrade, which is nonrefundable?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: shiv.nandak
And this is exactly the problem asking opinions on whether or not totalled. It is so widely variable dependent upon the exact specifics, and a small difference in the hit can mean a difference of thousand$$. I would also push for a second estimate, but if they're coming up with $11,000 I don't think it's anywhere close.

I agree seems a bit low, but I'm curious to see what they come up with on their second shot. I understand why you hedged the bet the way you did, but thought you were jumping the gun, and this is why. So, to clarify, you order the new car with the acceleration booth upgrade, which is nonrefundable?
I think he meant he had the boost upgrade on the car for 2 days and crash happened.

Reactions: TomB985