Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is my wheel arch paint normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I omitted the screw on ours after learning that the ones supplied rot out pretty quick - I was going to get some stainless steel ones, but I gave up trying to phone through for a small quantity from the supplier, so have been running without the screws for 4-5 months. Not noticed any issues but we do have PPF along most of that edge so its not going to go rubbing on the paintwork. They seem pretty solid without them. I heard that the newer ones have clips instead, much like the rears.

I guess mud guards within a week of getting the car, but I'm still seeing some paint erosion - mostly in front of the rear wheels. I think the Americans call it the "rocker cover", or something like that. My last BMW I had for over 5 years and 65k miles without anything like this. Still love the car, but I'm reluctantly coming to the conclusion that Tesla paintwork really is sub-standard.

The paint on my Cayman rear arches got peppered over time by stone chips. It definitely is not a problem exclusive to Teslas or because of "thin paint".

I'm getting PPF on my arches which will hopefully help somewhat. Not a fan of the aesthetics of the mud flaps at all, I'm afraid.

The paint is thin, Tesla need to sort it out but doubt they will.

Yes it does happen on other cars but this type of issue normally takes years not months. I drive an 8 year old Mercedes CLS snd it does have signs of paint damage behind the rear wheels, but it’s 8 years old, rear wheel drive and has had between 500-900bhp going through the rear wheels so would expect it. However, I wouldn’t expect it after 3-6 months like the Tesla Model 3.

It doesn’t put me off having a Model 3, as I accept that Tesla are still a new “car” company and are adapting to supply and demand, but longer term I hope build quality doesn’t become Tesla’s Achilles heel when the main stream manufacturers offer comparable cars.

On my last three Jaguars , XF and XE, was advised by sales reps that this area was prone to peppering because there was a slight flare. Fitted mud flaps on all three, didn't notice any damage when selling. Suppose the type of road surface can have a big effect.
Yes, that's a good point. The Model 3 shape does have flared lines leading up to the rear wheels, so that may be the issue rather than paint per se.

Yes, that's a good point. The Model 3 shape does have flared lines leading up to the rear wheels, so that may be the issue rather than paint per se.
I have noticed that a lot if not most cars with a flair in front of the rear wheels seem to have a transparent piece of plastic, like ultra thick PPF covering that part of the paintwork so I think it is a general problem that paint cannot handle whatever it is that happens there. The problem seems to be that Tesla paint is not only worse than industry average but also lacks this additional protection. I'm surprised there is no enterprising person selling shaped pieces of film to fit here. Having said that the worst affected part is where there is stone chip guard low down which means the chips are not through to the metal but would make it hard to fit film since its not a smooth surface.

My 1998 Lotus Elise EV has black vinyl plastic on these areas so is hardly a new problem and is an area on the M3 that the mud flaps will not be protecting so a bit of transparent PPF should do the job.

Elise.jpg

My 1998 Lotus Elise EV has black vinyl plastic on these areas so is hardly a new problem and is an area on the M3 that the mud flaps will not be protecting so a bit of transparent PPF should do the job.

View attachment 529959
agreed, The fact that its' been a problem that is known about forever makes it rather annoying though that Tesla chose to just ignore it!

Reactions: Cyclone1
This seems to be an American term that I've read before but I don't know what the "rocker covers" are! The rocker cover I know about was at the top of an engine covering the camshaft and rockers.
When I got the quote for PPF the detailer helpfully gave me a break down by panel. He uses Xpel which I think is an American company and I assume the software he uses for the cutting also provides costs per panel too. Suspect he just copied the price list from there and added his mark up.

I looked up the etymology of 'rocker panel' and still don't understand why the Americans refer to it as that:

a panel forming part of the bodywork below the level of the passenger door.

If our sills rocked we would be taking the car in for a service!

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado
Rocker as in the bit hit by rocks so I am led to understand.

If using Xpel, make sure that it is from the approved installers list and not just trained by. I did the latter and had to have the job redone due to various issues - learned my lesson and the approved installer was great apart from having to pay twice for same job.

XPEL Clear Bra Installers | United Kingdom

Not sure why they are called bra's - anyone?