Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is PPF and Ceramic worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m getting the car detailed and then the ‘ceramic’ stuff. Hopefully, it’ll make it easier to clean.
Screenshot 2022-03-23 at 10.48.02.png
You'll just see the rain beading on your car :)

Might be best to comment on content related to Kentucky as you have not got a clue about UK services.
You might want to research ceramic coating content on google before thinking $100 full auto ceramic coating is actually ceramic coating. Then again I should research maybe in the UK they just call a basic sealant spray ceramic coating. However I assure you that for $100 applied you are not getting what we call in the US ceramic coating. The product alone for a quality ceramic is well over that not including a quality labor application by a detailer that knows what they are doing. In the US you are looking at more like $900-$1000 for a 5 year ceramic on a Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: VX Foxy
A
You might want to research ceramic coating content on google before thinking $100 full auto ceramic coating is actually ceramic coating. Then again I should research maybe in the UK they just call a basic sealant spray ceramic coating. However I assure you that for $100 applied you are not getting what we call in the US ceramic coating. The product alone for a quality ceramic is well over that not including a quality labor application by a detailer that knows what they are doing. In the US you are looking at more like $900-$1000 for a 5 year ceramic on a Tesla.
As I politely said, maybe best to stick to locations you have knowledge in :cool:

A

As I politely said, maybe best to stick to locations you have knowledge in :cool:

Checking around, ceramic coatings are chemically similar in the US to the U.K. and some detailing places here use the same US products.

The cost for my car to be prepped outside and for the coating to be applied is circa $700£550. I called around and the places explained that most of the prep goes into removing crap and correcting paintwork/swirls before the stuff is applied - I think they said they use Shelby Ceramic coating/sealant.

The articles that I found describe ceramic coatings/products as paint sealants. So sealant is correct.

Reactions: goin2drt
Checking around, ceramic coatings are chemically similar in the US to the U.K. and some detailing places here use the same US products.

The cost for my car to be prepped outside and for the coating to be applied is circa $700£550. I called around and the places explained that most of the prep goes into removing crap and correcting paintwork/swirls before the stuff is applied - I think they said they use Shelby Ceramic coating/sealant.

The articles that I found describe ceramic coatings/products as paint sealants. So sealant is correct.
And that sounds more like it. I am a little familiar with Shelby. A friend that is a detailer by trade uses Gyeon but he got on with them early. Folks get very confused thinking that just because something says ceramic in the title it is actually a quality ceramic coating. Turtle Wax makes a spray ceramic for like $20. That is not the same as what you are doing and getting the paint properly prepped and a quality 5year coating applied by hand. Labor alone is easily 3 hours and that is if your car isn't already a mess. My simple point above was $100 is not a ceramic coating. But then again I guess here in Kentucky we don't know anything about Ceramic coatings. I will head on out to my US threads.

And that sounds more like it. I am a little familiar with Shelby. A friend that is a detailer by trade uses Gyeon but he got on with them early. Folks get very confused thinking that just because something says ceramic in the title it is actually a quality ceramic coating. Turtle Wax makes a spray ceramic for like $20. That is not the same as what you are doing and getting the paint properly prepped and a quality 5year coating applied by hand. Labor alone is easily 3 hours and that is if your car isn't already a mess. My simple point above was $100 is not a ceramic coating. But then again I guess here in Kentucky we don't know anything about Ceramic coatings. I will head on out to my US threads.

I miss living in the US. I could easily get some great products and services and great service!

Just another opinion based on my (relatively little) experience with PPF.

Have had full PPF done in the past, and whilst small stuff definitely bounced off, at the end of the day it's just vinyl film and stones will occasionally win. Some installers will give you a warranty to replace sections within a certain period. I had a few big chips that went through the PPF and the paint, and having PPF that then needs replacing because it looks awful (dirt gets in the edges of any punctures) on top of the paint needing doing was a bit of a gut punch.

This time around I'm doing DIY PPF on the front bumper only, after that, just planning on enjoying the car and not worrying as much as I have in the past. The other important bit is that the PPF bits are on the rear panel in front of the rear wheels where the arch flares out, as that area will take a hammering. The stuff they put on from the factory is very thick here because it doesn't need to stretch to conform around complex curves like other areas do, i.e. bumper.

To each their own etc!

having PPF that then needs replacing because it looks awful (dirt gets in the edges of any punctures)

Not my experience, but for balance! I just treat my car as a car. It rarely gets washed etc.

I had full PPF on first Model-S, did 95K miles in that over 3.5 years and (to my, not very discerning, eye) the paintwork looked "as new" when I traded it in. Plenty of snuggling up to rural hedgerows in that time ...

Dunno if it makes any difference, but the next cheapest car at the gaff where I had mine done was 10x the price of my lowly! Model-S

This is what I said, "After your pride and joy has been detailed, the "snake oil" treatment as you call it is just £100 extra". I never said or implied that the entire treatment was a £100, in actual fact if you go to the beginning of the thread a link to the detailer and prices was provided.

Reactions: VX Foxy
Dunno if it makes any difference, but the next cheapest car at the gaff where I had mine done was 10x the price of my lowly! Model-S
If there is one thing I've learned from dealerships, it's that "mint" paint is only worth something when you're buying it from them. :D

Paint chips on a used or ex-demo car? "That's normal, just general use, expected from the mileage"

Paint chips on a car you're selling or trading in? *SHARP INHALATION OF BREATH*

Going to stick my neck out here. Our Q4 '21 red M3LR has had paint swirls since collection. Today, we picked it up after proper paint correction plus ceramic coating. The result speaks for itself...
IMG_3612.jpg

Swirls/scratches are history. This is how the car should've been at the point of delivery. Tesla make great cars, but their delivery prep sucks giant hairy moose balls.

My MYLR will be getting the same treatment next month.

Steve

I had my first Tesla MX ceramic coated from new and it didn't really make much difference in the long run. Maybe slightly easier to clean at first, but after a year or two it made no difference. So I didn't bother with our Model 3 and just used Turtle Wax spray on graphene wax, which was just as effective for £20 vs £500+ for a professional ceramic coat.

I think PPF MIGHT be worthwhile IF you are planning to keep the car long term and fret over minor stone chips. But if you are likely to chop it in after 2 or 3 years then I think it's a waste of money. Our 15 month old Model 3 is starting to gather a few minor chips on the front bumper and along both door sills (so that's where it needs PPF), but nothing that detracts from its appearance when standing 1 metre away. I'm about to trade it in against a new Y for almost zero depreciation so I'm really glad I didn't blow a load of cash on paint protection that would have made no difference to the trade-in offer.

I'm not going to bother with ceramic or PPF on our new Model Y. The sills look less vulnerable than they are on the 3 (never had an issue with stone chips on our Model X door sills) and we'll probably end up trading it in again in a couple of years if the used market continues to be so strong.

PPF on front bumper and full length of door sills would be my recommendation for a Model 3 if you really want to avoid chips at all cost.