Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is rear pano-window a poor design?

Is rear pano-window a poor design?

• Yes

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 50 83.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the design of MS is almost perfect. Why change it and make it worse?

1. It limits trunk opening a lot!
2. For rear passengers, the view is severely limited because of the roof structure around B pillar. Glass roof (with the best view) on MS is NOT available.
3. On the other side, the view increased because of rear pano-window is useless. One have to turn their head almost 90 degrees up to "use" that part.
4. A metal roof looks silly with such big area covered with glass.

I would call it a design fail and bad UX. Too late to find it tho...

2. For rear passengers, the view is severely limited because of the roof structure around B pillar. Glass roof (with the best view) on MS is NOT available.
3. On the other side, the view increased because of rear pano-window is useless. One have to turn their head almost 90 degrees up to "use" that part.

First understand that the Model S is a hatchback and not a standard trunk. Therefore, you're comparing apples and oranges.

Second, the view of rear passengers is better than with a metal roof, adult passengers will have far more headroom than they would in a Model S. It is the Model S that's "severely limited" in the rear seat headroom department. If you were a tall person, what good is a view if you can't even comfortably sit back there? The Model 3 was designed with passenger headroom in mind because of the lessons learned from Model S.

Good point. Didn't consider that.
However, my point is, M3 can have the outline now (good headroom), but with "normal" window setting.
They can make a normal-size rear window (just like other sedans) to have a bigger roof (like MS).

Using a pano-window with less view didn't make sense to me.

Good point. Didn't consider that.
However, my point is, M3 can have the outline now (good headroom), but with "normal" window setting.
They can make a normal-size rear window (just like other sedans) to have a bigger roof (like MS).

Using a pano-window with less view didn't make sense to me.

That might compromise roll-over safety. That said, In the newer Model S they were able to strengthen the pillars in order to remove the crossbar.

Tesla-Glass-Roof.png

This happened after the Model 3 reveal so who knows if the Model 3 will adjust too. (I'm not sure that it can due to the lack of a rear cross bar like the S has).

Reactions: EvanLin

You call this a design fail based on which personal experience?
Most of the people who actually sat in the thing and commented said that it felt really open with positive reviews, "crazy open" was one comment.
On that basis, no it is not a poor design.

Because Model 3 is not identical to Model S in dimension. It is much smaller, and if you just shrink the Model S to the size of Model 3, you leave the rear passenger with no headroom!

The trunk opening is limited by the chassis design and cross bar. Model 3 was designed to be a sedan and not a hatch back from the start.
So the trunk opening would not change regardless of whether they put in pano rear window or not.

I would call it a design fail and bad UX.

I totally disagree with you.

Reactions: garsh
That might compromise roll-over safety. That said, In the newer Model S they were able to strengthen the pillars in order to remove the crossbar.

Tesla-Glass-Roof.png

This happened after the Model 3 reveal so who knows if the Model 3 will adjust too. (I'm not sure that it can due to the lack of a rear cross bar like the S has).

Thanks for the picture. Crossbar is the biggest problem (after considering headroom) to mention. Glass roof has better view and is a more proper solution with no doubt.

What about looking in the rear view mirror? The Model S has a really restricted view looking in the rear view mirror, and it's one of the biggest weaknesses of the S. The smaller Model 3 would be even worse. I for one look forward to the much more expansive view looking through the rear view mirror.

What about looking in the rear view mirror? The Model S has a really restricted view looking in the rear view mirror, and it's one of the biggest weaknesses of the S. The smaller Model 3 would be even worse. I for one look forward to the much more expansive view looking through the rear view mirror.
considering the beam is further forward, how on earth does that make the Model 3 even worse. Surely it would be better and less intrusive.
But again, its a supposition.

The beam is further forward because of the rear pano window. To get a Model S style roof you would need to push the beam back again.
again I don't understand - you said it "might" block the rear view mirror. But if its further forward that would raise it higher and further out of the way of the rearview.
again - supposition with zero evidence

BECAUSE the crossbar is blocking the view, apparently. I think I've mentioned it for the 3rd time.
you have mentioned it many times, but stating a theory multiple times doesn't magically make it a fact.
To change a supposition into a fact requires evidence.

Therefore, here is some, one pic from the Motortrend photoshoot.
I would love to see how that crossbar gets in the way of a rearview mirror as @gregincal mentioned.
As for it being poor design and blocking the view, I'm assuming someone must have a gigantic head for that crossbar to prevent them from looking up or having a bad view. There is so much glass there is bound to give a great wide open feeling, which is one of their stated design goals and confirmed in fact my many reviewers.

again I don't understand - you said it "might" block the rear view mirror. But if its further forward that would raise it higher and further out of the way of the rearview.
again - supposition with zero evidence

I confused as to what you are trying to argue. The original poster wanted to get rid of the rear pano window partly because of the positioning of the crossbar. I'm just pointing out the negatives of moving the crossbar and why the current Model 3 design is better. If you keep the crossbar where it is, then what's the point of getting rid of the rear pano window (which is the topic of this thread)?

My only potential (small) issue with the glass roof is the potential for cracks. I fully plan to park in my garage at home and work but I live in a city full of trees. If branches, pine cones or even large hailstones fall on it I would be very dismayed to find a crack. That being said the potential for cracks on the roof is MUCH less than it is for the windshield and I imagine Tesla has designed for this. I'm just being paranoid.