Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is Registration fee $750 in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And this B.S. from our tax and spend Congress that doesn’t account for the cost of living (hence higher income) in California.

• Big Change for Those Making Over $145,000 – For plan years beginning in 2024, participants who are considered “high earners” must designate catch-up contributions as Roth contributions.
This will be a big change to the way many older participants are saving for retirement and will result in a higher current tax bill since Roth contributions are made after-tax.…. A higher current tax bill may cause some participants over age 50 to rethink making catch-up contributions.

Last edited:
And this B.S. from our tax and spend Congress that doesn’t account for the cost of living (hence higher income) in California.

• Big Change for Those Making Over $145,000 – For plan years beginning in 2024, participants who are considered “high earners” must designate catch-up contributions as Roth contributions.
This will be a big change to the way many older participants are saving for retirement and will result in a higher current tax bill since Roth contributions are made after-tax.…. A higher current tax bill may cause some participants over age 50 to rethink making catch-up contributions.

Going a bit off topic, but my 401k is garbage even after maxing it every year, but it's a safe place for my future self. Rest, I am all in on TSLA. I even convert my RSUs to TSLA when they drop. But back to topic, registration fees are based on a % of the car. My manager just paid $18,000 to re-register his Porsche 918.

Reactions: cindysue
Going a bit off topic, but ….

fair point! here is what i paid in mid June and my fees:

IMG_0266.png

We purchased our 2023 MY about a year ago.
Yesterday, we received a $755 Registration Renewal Notice!
$755 is about five hundred dollars more than we've ever paid for registration renewal.
Is the amount cited possibly a mistake?
What are others here seeing for Tesla registration renewal fees?

Is the amount cited possibly a mistake?

No

What are others here seeing for Tesla registration renewal fees?

You must have just moved to California. Everyone is seeing the exact same type fees here since registration is calculated the exact same way for everyone. What people are paying in other states is immaterial to your cost here, if you live here.

I just paid $551 for my yearly registration for my 5 year old Model 3 performance. I have lived in this state my entire life, and nothing about this surprises anyone who lives here.

No

You must have just moved to California. Everyone is seeing the exact same type fees here since registration is calculated the exact same way for everyone. What people are paying in other states is immaterial to your cost here, if you live here.

I just paid $551 for my yearly registration for my 5 year old Model 3 performance. I have lived in this state my entire life, and nothing about this surprises anyone who lives here.
Thanks for your reply. Actually, I've lived in CA for almost 50 years. The $755 fee notice we just received is about $500 greater than any previous reg fee renewal notice we have received... while living in CA. I guess this is the state's thank you, for going green.

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I've lived in CA for almost 50 years. The $755 fee notice we just received is about $500 greater than any previous reg fee renewal notice we have received... while living in CA. I guess this is the state's thank you, for going green.
Then you must have never registered a car with the same Selling price, in the past 5-6 years. I dont believe there is any EV kicker on registration here.

Also, just as a FYI, I asked one of the mods for this subform to move this to the CA subforum since this is not a Tesla topic at all, and there is an existing thread on this exact discussion there already:

Then you must have never registered a car with the same Selling price, in the past 5-6 years. I dont believe there is any EV kicker on registration here.

Also, just as a FYI, I asked one of the mods for this subform to move this to the CA subforum since this is not a Tesla topic at all, and there is an existing thread on this exact discussion there already:
True. $21K is most we have ever previously paid for a car. On the topic of EV Registration Fees: States are going to be looking to recoup the lost gasoline tax revenue--a tax that is not paid by EV owners. I think that EV Registration Renewal Fees might be a topic for Tesla owners, in all states.

Nothing new. If you never had a new and/or relatively expensive car before then you would have never seen it this high.

It’s based on the selling price of the car and DMV has their own depreciation table so the fees will lower as the car gets older.

On the topic of EV Registration Fees: States are going to be looking to recoup the lost gasoline tax revenue--a tax that is not paid by EV owners. I think that EV Registration Renewal Fees might be a topic for Tesla owners, in all states.
This thread doesnt have anything to do with "EV" registration fees though, as there is no EV specific fee.

So, you think that the dollar amount of our $755 registration renewal fee is based solely on the sale price of the car?

Yes. If you purchased any other car that was the same price, your registration cost would be the same. I have been leasing BMWs previous to buying my tesla(s) for roughly 20 years and the costs are the same.

Reactions: bluestreak55