Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is Registration fee $750 in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon? Many already do. I can't speak for the accuracy of this but did find a list at https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/ev-...e-electric-car-owners-$200-or-more-every-year. It lists 32 states that do.
Thanks for that link. It's surprising that California is not one of the states charging EV owners an extra fee. It's disappointing to me that none of my $755 registration renewal fee already includes the extra EV charge--that extra charge will probably be added to my next renewal.

Reactions: bluestreak55
I just renewed CA registration for the two vehicles in my household... a 2016 GLE and a 2023 Model Y. The Model Y renewal was "paperless" so I didn't even get a breakdown of the cost details, just an emailed $804 total and links to the DMV website and other payment options. Even during online payment, there were no details of the costs presented. The DMV site also doesn't have the ability to show any prior payments. It's possibly the worst website I have experienced as far as usability and available information. Only after I paid did I finally find the online tool to calculate the fees for registration which showed the fees involved. And boy, there are a lot of extra fees charged to the Tesla that are not charged to the old gas guzzler. Here’s the comparison:

2016 GLE: Total $281

$171 Registration Fee
$99 License Fee
$0 Weight Fee
$0 Plate Fee
$11 County/District Fee
$0 Owner Responsibility Fee

2023 Model Y: Total $804

$71 Registration Fee
$335 License Fee
$32 CA Highway Patrol
$1 County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee
$1 Fingerprint ID Fee
$6 Air Quality Management District
$1 South Coast Air Basin
$3 Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee
$2 Vehicle Theft / DUI 2
$118 Road Improvement Fee
$194 Transportation Improvement Fee
$40 1960 Legacy Renewal Sequential

Can anyone explain all these extra fees on the Tesla registration renewal bill and why they only apply to the Tesla and not the GLE?

Reactions: brianbcc
Yes. If you purchased any other car that was the same price, your registration cost would be the same. I have been leasing BMWs previous to buying my tesla(s) for roughly 20 years and the costs are the same
That doesn't seem accurate according to my experience. There are several extra fees being charged to my Tesla registration renewal that are not charged to my I.C.E. vehicle. While the Vehicle License Fee is based on the cost of the vehicle, the inclusion of several other costly fees doesn't seem related to the purchase price of the vehicle. For instance, why is my Tesla being charged a $118 Road Improvement Fee while my GLE has never been charged such a fee? Or the $194 Transportation Improvement Fee? Or a $40 1960 Legacy Renewal Sequential Fee? Why all these extra fees for the Tesla which none of my other vehicles have ever been charged?

That doesn't seem accurate according to my experience. There are several extra fees being charged to my Tesla registration renewal that are not charged to my I.C.E. vehicle. While the Vehicle License Fee is based on the cost of the vehicle, the inclusion of several other costly fees doesn't seem related to the purchase price of the vehicle. For instance, why is my Tesla being charged a $118 Road Improvement Fee while my GLE has never been charged such a fee? Or the $194 Transportation Improvement Fee? Or a $40 1960 Legacy Renewal Sequential Fee? Why all these extra fees for the Tesla which none of my other vehicles have ever been charged?
Some of it may be because EVs don’t pay for gasoline taxes that supposedly goes to road repair.

But these fees (as well as in other states) are far higher than I ever paid in gas taxes with my ICE.

I just renewed CA registration for the two vehicles in my household... a 2016 GLE and a 2023 Model Y. The Model Y renewal was "paperless" so I didn't even get a breakdown of the cost details, just an emailed $804 total and links to the DMV website and other payment options. Even during online payment, there were no details of the costs presented. The DMV site also doesn't have the ability to show any prior payments. It's possibly the worst website I have experienced as far as usability and available information. Only after I paid did I finally find the online tool to calculate the fees for registration which showed the fees involved. And boy, there are a lot of extra fees charged to the Tesla that are not charged to the old gas guzzler. Here’s the comparison:

$171 Registration Fee
$99 License Fee
$0 Weight Fee
$0 Plate Fee
$11 County/District Fee

$71 Registration Fee
$335 License Fee
$32 CA Highway Patrol
$1 Fingerprint ID Fee
$1 South Coast Air Basin
$3 Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee
$2 Vehicle Theft / DUI 2

Can anyone explain all these extra fees on the Tesla registration renewal bill and why they only apply to the Tesla and not the GLE?
So I believe I have figured out most of this... the AQMD, SCAB, VT/DUI, Fingerprint and CSAFEF fees listed in the Telsa costs are all bundled into the $11 County/District Fee in the GLE costs. The $40 1960 LRS cost is the Black and Yellow special license plate fee on the Tesla... I didn't realize we had to pay annually for the colored plate (which looks better on our all black Model Y.) The $118 Road Improvement Fee is for all zero emission vehicles, which apparently helps replace the revenue lost from no gas tax. And the $194 TIF is based on the vehicle value, similar to the VLF, but the revenue is earmarked for road maintenance. So the main cost difference that is based on the Tesla being an EV and not related to just the cost of the vehicle or a standard flat fee is that $118 Road Improvement Fee.

[Changed sequence for easier clarification]

$118 Road Improvement Fee - This is the one directly attributable to the Tesla being a Zero Emission Vehicle. Interestingly, it only applies to model year 2020 and later (so my 2019 is exempt)
$194 Transportation Improvement Fee - Covers road & bridge maintenance. I pretty this applies to all vehicles and is based on value of the vehicle (see my note below on this for the GLE).
$40 1960 Legacy Renewal Sequential - This fee is being charged because you appear to have non-standard license plates. More at the link
$335 [Vehicle] License Fee - this is based on the value of the vehicle and is "0.65% of purchase price/value of vehicle." They are valuing your Y at about $51,5385
$71 Registration Fee - Since this is $100 LOWER than your GLE, I suspect that some of the fees broken out for the Tesla (below are incorporated in here for the GLE)
$32 CA Highway Patrol​
$1 County Service Authority for Freeway Emergencies Fee​
$1 Fingerprint ID Fee​
$6 Air Quality Management District​
$1 South Coast Air Basin​
$3 Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee​
$2 Vehicle Theft / DUI 2​
I'm pretty sure that the Transportation Improvement Fee on the GLE is $65 or possibly $32

Except for the 1960 Legacy Renewal Sequential fee (which is linked above), I found all the information at this CA DMV link.

$171 Registration Fee
$99 License Fee
$0 Weight Fee
$0 Plate Fee
$11 County/District Fee

$71 Registration Fee
$335 License Fee
$32 CA Highway Patrol
$1 Fingerprint ID Fee
$1 South Coast Air Basin
$3 Alt Fuel/Tech Reg Fee
$2 Vehicle Theft / DUI 2

That's a long list of fees wow. I just renewed the registration on my Model 3. Here's the breakdown of the $343 total cost:

$171 Registration Fee
$161 License Fee
$0 Weight Fee
$0 Special Plate Fee
$11 County/District Fees