Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is Registration fee $750 in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please tell me otherwise.
MY delivery coming up. Thinking of cancelling it.
Yup. Welcome to the Tesla experience in California. 😁

J/K Actually, it has more to do with purchase price than being a Tesla. Reg fees are, in part, based on price of the car.

You are hinging a $50k purchase on a 750 fee? I'm trying to understand...
That’s per year. And it doesn’t go down much…per year. It’s a reason CA is known for high living expenses.

J/K Actually, it has more to do with purchase price than being a Tesla. Reg fees are, in part, based on price of the car.

That’s per year. And it doesn’t go down much…per year. It’s a reason CA is known for high living expenses.
Right. Are there any other costs involved other than car payment + insurance + electricity cost + registration fee + accessories + charger install cost?

This doesn't seem out of line from what I can see. Use a California car registration calculator on the official CA DMV site: Registration Fees - California DMV

I did a dummy calculation for an electric car priced at $54,490 in Solano county and it gave $641 for the registration fees.

It's been a while since I lived in California but it is an expensive state. My registration fee in NH will be over $900 but Tesla will send me the info to register it myself after delivery instead of asking me to pay them for it.

Right. Are there any other costs involved other than car payment + insurance + electricity cost + registration fee + accessories + charger install cost
Also, all electric vehicles subjected to extra 100/year to offset not paying gasoline taxes. I think my 5 year old model 3 still costs over 500/year.
are your serious?

Also, all electric vehicles subjected to extra 100/year to offset not paying gasoline taxes. I think my 5 year old model 3 still costs over 500/year.
Actually it is $175 per year.

"Starting this month, a one-time upfront registration fee of $100 will be charged for 2020 model year plug-in vehicles in California. That will be followed by an annual registration fee of up to $175 based on the vehicle’s value. The Golden State is by far the biggest market for electric vehicles in the United States.

The fee is a result of Senate Bill 1, which passed in 2017. The bill also boosts California gas taxes by 3.2 cents to about 50.5 cents a gallon, raising approximately $7 billion a year to pay for maintenance and repairs. California EV fees are expected to generate $52 billion over 10 years, earmarked for infrastructure repairs."

Also CA defaulted on a general obligation Bond yesterday!

Actually it is $175 per year.

"Starting this month, a one-time upfront registration fee of $100 will be charged for 2020 model year plug-in vehicles in California. That will be followed by an annual registration fee of up to $175 based on the vehicle’s value. The Golden State is by far the biggest market for electric vehicles in the United States.

The fee is a result of Senate Bill 1, which passed in 2017. The bill also boosts California gas taxes by 3.2 cents to about 50.5 cents a gallon, raising approximately $7 billion a year to pay for maintenance and repairs. California EV fees are expected to generate $52 billion over 10 years, earmarked for infrastructure repairs."

Also CA defaulted on a general obligation Bond yesterday!
That’s wild

Right. Are there any other costs involved other than car payment + insurance + electricity cost + registration fee + accessories + charger install cost

are your serious?
Um. Some states charge, pretty much, what it takes to run the DMV and its offices. At the moment, that's the case for NJ.

Other states charge based upon the value of the car. When I lived in MA, lo these many years ago, that's how they did it. At the time, interestingly, if the value of the car went down over time, that tax (I think, "excise tax") would go down as well, so a ten-year-old car didn't have much tax on it. Effectively, it was a form of property tax.

For what it's worth, for those who can itemize deductions, the tax on the value of the car is deductible on federal taxes, just like property taxes are.

As far as the $100 (or whatever) that gets collected in lieu of gasoline/diesel taxes, well, if that hasn't yet happened to you, it's coming. Somebody has to pay for the construction and repair of roads. There's been several proposals made and some implemented. Most of the proposals take into account how far a BEV has been driven in a year; in others, it's calculated as some kind of average across cars driven in the state. Sometimes the weight of the car is thrown into the numbers as well, under the thought that the heavier a vehicle is, the more wear the vehicle causes on the roads.

And, of course, there's been cases where lobbying by auto stealerships, at least early in this game, attempted to make BEVs pay 3X or 5X those averaged costs (I'm looking at you, Ohio.), when the only BEVs really on the road were Teslas, or compliance cars. Dunno how successful those attempts are nowadays with most car manufacturers moving into BEVs these days.

Finally: A few months ago, a six-month research project involving a collation of eastern seaboard and gulf coast states ended. A bunch of punters in those states were invited into the study to see how well it would, or wouldn't work. I participated; for cars like Teslas, they requested access to the distance the car had been driven for every month during the study. They then would send one email with fake (i.e., nobody was actually getting charged) invoices, with how many pennies per mile one was being charged. It was kind of interesting: Each state had its own costs per mile which, to say the least, varied quite widely.

Um. Some states charge, pretty much, what it takes to run the DMV and its offices. At the moment, that's the case for NJ.

Other states charge based upon the value of the car. When I lived in MA, lo these many years ago, that's how they did it. At the time, interestingly, if the value of the car went down over time, that tax (I think, "excise tax") would go down as well, so a ten-year-old car didn't have much tax on it. Effectively, it was a form of property tax.

For what it's worth, for those who can itemize deductions, the tax on the value of the car is deductible on federal taxes, just like property taxes are.

As far as the $100 (or whatever) that gets collected in lieu of gasoline/diesel taxes, well, if that hasn't yet happened to you, it's coming. Somebody has to pay for the construction and repair of roads. There's been several proposals made and some implemented. Most of the proposals take into account how far a BEV has been driven in a year; in others, it's calculated as some kind of average across cars driven in the state. Sometimes the weight of the car is thrown into the numbers as well, under the thought that the heavier a vehicle is, the more wear the vehicle causes on the roads.

And, of course, there's been cases where lobbying by auto stealerships, at least early in this game, attempted to make BEVs pay 3X or 5X those averaged costs (I'm looking at you, Ohio.), when the only BEVs really on the road were Teslas, or compliance cars. Dunno how successful those attempts are nowadays with most car manufacturers moving into BEVs these days.

Finally: A few months ago, a six-month research project involving a collation of eastern seaboard and gulf coast states ended. A bunch of punters in those states were invited into the study to see how well it would, or wouldn't work. I participated; for cars like Teslas, they requested access to the distance the car had been driven for every month during the study. They then would send one email with fake (i.e., nobody was actually getting charged) invoices, with how many pennies per mile one was being charged. It was kind of interesting: Each state had its own costs per mile which, to say the least, varied quite widely.
Interesting