Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is Registration fee $750 in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I moved this CA topic to the CA subforum.

OP, this doesnt even feel like a real thread, sorry. If you actually live here in CA you know what vehicle registration fees here look like, unless you have never registered a new vehicle here.

Then, you put forth a statement on vehicle costs with "accessories" in it as if that is somehow some mandatory cost you have to bear to drive the vehicle.

If you are still at the "is this cost effective" stage, you should cancel your order and do more research for yourself before deciding. That discussion has been had multiple times here, so there should be plenty for you to find should you so be inclined.

For car guys, it absolutely is a mandatory expense. 😂

But anyone who would identify as anything close to a "car person" who lives in CA already knows what the general registration costs are for vehicles in this state, for a given class of vehicle. Its not like this vehicle registration fee is any different than registering any other vehicle that costs similar money, so unless this OP is going to cancel and also buy a vehicle that costs 20k less or something, the costs are going to be the same.

Framing this as "Model Y registration" is not correct, and anyone who lives here and has ever bought a vehicle of a similar cost already knows that, so I absolutely do not get the incredulity with which this is posted by the OP here.

It’s not just registration. Things r adding up quickly. For 10k miles per year, is it cost effective to go for 55k Tesla MY vs 40k gas SUV?
Do you think you're going to be saving a bunch on registration?

My tesla app estimates i paid $505 in charging and saved $1,326 over gas in the last 12 months. Also drove 9,710 miles to since march.

For car guys, it absolutely is a mandatory expense. 😂

But anyone who would identify as anything close to a "car person" who lives in CA already knows what the general registration costs are for vehicles in this state, for a given class of vehicle. Its not like this vehicle registration fee is any different than registering any other vehicle that costs similar money, so unless this OP is going to cancel and also buy a vehicle that costs 20k less or something, the costs are going to be the same.

Framing this as "Model Y registration" is not correct, and anyone who lives here and has ever bought a vehicle of a similar cost already knows that, so I absolutely do not get the incredulity with which this is posted by the OP here.
IMG_5669.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: SO16 and jjrandorin

my intention was not to frame this as a "Model Y registration" issue or bash Tesla vehicles, i was taken just aback by the $750+ number. Since EV space is new to me, Im just trying to piece together things that would affect me financially if I went ahead with this purchase. With 10k average usage and not qualifying for the tax credit, Im on the fence at the moment.

my intention was not to frame this as a "Model Y registration" issue or bash Tesla vehicles, i was taken just aback by the $750+ number. Since EV space is new to me, Im just trying to piece together things that would affect me financially if I went ahead with this purchase. With 10k average usage and not qualifying for the tax credit, Im on the fence at the moment.
Low usage will make it more difficult to justify the purchase. The more miles, the more savings (at least when charging at home). Supercharging can be a bit pricey depending on location and time of day.

Maybe start with a used one. Check out onlyusedtesla.com. Some people on there still trying to get top dollar but may find some deals.

Reactions: sanfax
Actually...

Reg fees are based of price/value of the Car.
The current powers and voters passed SB1.
The legislation created two new vehicle fees: (1) a zero emissions vehicle (ZEV) transportation improvement fee (TIF) and (2) a road improvement fee. The TIF went into effect on January 1, 2018 and charges ZEV owners a fee that ranges from $25 to $175 based on the market value of the vehicle. The road improvement fee will begin July 1, 2020 and will charge an annual $100 vehicle registration fee on ZEV model year 2020 and later.

This part also affected all vehicles including gas
Here's how that number was derived:

• Registration: SB 1 imposed a new Transportation Improvement Fee (TIF) that increases with the value of a registered vehicle. Nearly 50% of all registered vehicles in California are valued at less than $5,000. Forty percent are valued at less than $25,000. Thus, the average annual amount for vehicle registration is approximately $48.
  • Fuel: SB 1 increased the excise tax on gasoline by 12 cents per gallon. California's 26 million licensed drivers consume 15.5 billion gallons per year. That is 577 gallons per driver, multiplied by 12 cents per gallon is $69.24 each.

It’s not just registration. Things r adding up quickly. For 10k miles per year, is it cost effective to go for 55k Tesla MY vs 40k gas SUV?
In my county the new vehicle registration fee difference for a $55k EV and a hypothetical $40k SUV is $656 vs $579.

Will you save more than $77/year in fuel costs? (Hint: the answer is yes)

Please tell me otherwise.
MY delivery coming up. Thinking of cancelling it.
any car you buy in California you can count on paying about 1% of the MSRP for yearly registration...so a couple hundred dollars shouldn't be a deal breaker

they charge a little bit extra for to make up all the tax revenue they will be missing by you not buying gas anymore.

Btw, that new $2000 California CVRP rebate will help make up for it....or the $7500 federal tax credit 👍

Also, all electric vehicles subjected to extra 100/year to offset not paying gasoline taxes. I think my 5 year old model 3 still costs over 500/year.
are your serious?
Why does this seem like a foreign concept? Without getting into the politics of things, taxes/fees are a necessary element of running a government. It's a very simple fact that since you won't be buying gasoline, you aren't contributing to the maintenance of the roadways you will be using. Taxing the gas was a very efficient and equitable way of charging for usage, but with electric vehicles, that can't be done. So they add a flat annual fee (which IMO is negligible). Yes, it would be better if it were pro-rated by distance driven per year, there isn't a feasible way to do that currently without introducing invasive methodology, so it is a flat fee. Yes, by its nature, it is "higher" for a person who drives say 5K miles per year than it is for someone like me who drives 19K per year and all the others who drive more than I do.

Here is the simplified version of the cost analysis I did when I was looking at my Tesla in July 2019: when I calculated the monthly payment for the Tesla, along with estimated charging costs, and insurance, buying my then $40K Tesla was the same out-of-pocket as a $27K ICE bucket. And this was calculated when gas was $3 per gallon: you can only imagine what it would look like now