Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

is Registration fee $750 in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
any car you buy in California you can count on paying about 1% of the MSRP for yearly registration...so a couple hundred dollars shouldn't be a deal breaker

they charge a little bit extra for to make up all the tax revenue they will be missing by you not buying gas anymore.

Btw, that new $2000 California CVRP rebate will help make up for it....or the $7500 federal tax credit 👍
if i qualified for the 7500, its a no brainer buy.

You will likely have to pay the following fees if your vehicle is registered for on-highway use:

• The registration fee
  • California Highway Patrol (CHP) fee
  • Vehicle license fee
  • Transportation improvement fee
  • County/district fee

Plus 100 electric vehicle fee

Ridiculous to pay gas tax. In fact there should be more incentive for saving the planet while adapting to inconveniences of EV
The reason for the tax on gasoline (and diesel) is for road maintenance. Your Tesla is using the roads just as much as every other vehicle out there (actually causing MORE wear and tear on the road vs. a comparable ICE bucket since EVs weigh more due to the battery).

Unless you're arguing against a "gas tax" in general. In which case you contradict yourself by saying that a gas tax dis-incentivizes one to "save the planet when in fact the OPPOSITE is true: the higher the gas tax, the more incentivized one is to find alternate forms of modality, be it an EV, public transportation, or just a more fuel-efficient vehicle.

Reactions: fholbert
it's pretty easy....you mkae over $150K in 2023 you won't quality, under that amount and you do....and if you are making over $150K per year you probably arent sweating a few extra bucks to register it.🫡

The $150k is based on MAGI, so if you make 401k deductions, you can qualify on up to around $175k income.

On another topic, I just paid $718 on my 2022 Model Y. Breakdown below:
$383 Registration Fee
$324 License Fee
$11 County/District Fees

The $150k is based on MAGI, so if you make 401k deductions, you can qualify on up to around $175k income.

On another topic, I just paid $718 on my 2022 Model Y. Breakdown below:
$383 Registration Fee
$324 License Fee
$11 County/District Fees

Curious why federal rebate is based on AGI while CA rebate is based on gross income. And the gross cutoff is lower than the fed MAGI cutoff, which makes no sense given cost of living in CA.

Hi,
This is my second year with Model Y in Los Angeles. and just renewed my registration. Didn’t realize at first but now am comparing the fee from the first year with this year’s and the fee increased significant. Paid $80 more than the first year. Wouldn’t registration fee usually decreases accounting depreciation of automobiles into its formula?
Anyone experiencing this too?

Hi,
This is my second year with Model Y in Los Angeles. and just renewed my registration. Didn’t realize at first but now am comparing the fee from the first year with this year’s and the fee increased significant. Paid $80 more than the first year. Wouldn’t registration fee usually decreases accounting depreciation of automobiles into its formula?
Anyone experiencing this too?
its California - not good leadership

it's pretty easy....you mkae over $150K in 2023 you won't quality, under that amount and you do....and if you are making over $150K per year you probably arent sweating a few extra bucks to register it.🫡
$150k is not a lot of money in CA. 1st max out 401k so you make 127k and then pay around 42k in taxes. Your take home pay is 85k. After mortage and property taxes, it's like 50k. They need to increase the income limit. People making 150k shouldn"t buy a car over 50k.

Reactions: cindysue