Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Robocar's autonomous "racing" technology ahead of Tesla's Autopilot ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was watching this video today. It is the first autonomous racing car completing a racetrack. This happened yesterday I believe. According to Robocar people, this is all AI (not some rule-based system)

A lot of thoughts come to mind in relation to Tesla's autopilot.

On how it looks, there is a lot of wobbling, similar to how Tesla's autopilot was at the first stages of Autopilot 2. It feels like speed is a bit limited. Maybe they did it just for safty reasons (as people standing close to the track). It handles extremly well changes in sun lighting and hill climbs on the road. Maybe it is just the video camera but at one point it is very hard to see how the road turns but Robocar did really well. In terms of race driving, it is doing a good job slowing down before and accelerating after a turn. But the lines are really awful.

Obviously one cannot compare this to Autopilot. Robocar doesn't have to deal with pedestrians, signs, speed limits, traffic lights etc etc etc. But it shows that there are teams out there ready to put autonomous driving systems on the road, without any driver in. For some reason, watching this, it feels like Tesla is falling behind or at least there is not much progress being made. I know this is not true. But I would love to see a Tesla video, similar to this (obviously not those fabricated ones Tesla showed a year ago)

What do you guys think? Is Robocar's autonomous "racing" technology ahead of Tesla's Autopilot ?