Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is scheduled departure working consistently for you?

Is scheduled departure working for you?

• Yes

• Not consistently

• Not using the feature

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have used it for 4 days now since getting 36.2.1. Only one of those 4 days did it work. Behavior is flakey for me. I have a Raven p 100D. Scheduled charging was set to weekdays and 5:15am departure.

Day 1 was a Sunday and it was set to schedule departure on weekdays only. When trying to charge the car would charge but app not car would let me stop the charging until it finished charging or I physically pulled out charger.

Day 2 was Monday and the car never started charging overnight even though it said on my app it was suppose to start charging around 11:30pm. I woke up at 5am to check my phone app to find the charging didn’t start and as soon as my app woke up my car it then started automatically. Bummer

day 3 was Tuesday, worked flawlessly and as expected.

day 4 was today/Wednesday, woke up at 5am to see the phone app saying there was no power at the charger via the app and then within a second it started charging.

conclusion: this feature is very buggy and unreliable and frankly unusable for me.
What’s your experience??

• Informative
Reactions: tranzndance
My issue is that it is not observing the set start time for charging. I plugged in after parking but noticed in the app it started charging immediately instead of waiting until the set time (midnight). The cabin was warm though this morning.

I have the exact same issue as described in your day 2 & day 4. I have a Model S 75D 2018. It is set to departs at 07:30. It did work sometimes, but most of the time it does not. The car is not charged and charging starts when I open the app. It's like if the car is sleeping and does not wake up to start charging.

Hopefully the next update will fix this.

On 19.40.50.7 and today was the first time Scheduled Departure worked for me!

I set it to finish at 7:45am and noticed the app reported charging started at 1:15am and stopped at 5:31am. At 7:42 I checked the app and indeed the car was preheating the cabin, even though it finished charging over two hours ago. My next test is to have a lower SoC (or raise the charge limit) and see if Scheduled Departure will cut off charging at 6am or will it keep charging until the set limit. I am just happy it worked today as earlier attempts failed when the feature first rolled out, due to the car not waking up from deep sleep. On that note, I also noticed the deep sleep is a lot more effective than before.

Even though Sentry Mode is off when at home, I routinely lost one mile of range every two hours. Since the latest update, I only lose one mile of range in 14 hours when unplugged. I wonder if Tesla changed it so the car doesn't deep sleep when plugged in and that is why Scheduled Departure now works.

The funniest thing was when the wife was leaving for work and runs back in the house and asks, "do you know your car is on?!?". Well, yes dear, the car is preheating the cabin, just as planned/scheduled.

You're car will always try to finish charging by 6 AM, regardless of SOC. It's done this way to take advantage of lower rates. The departure time setting only applies to pre heating/cooling cabin.

From the manual: "Your vehicle aims to finish charging before 6am (end of off-peak hours). If given sufficient time to charge, charging may stop at 6am, even if your scheduled departure is later. If the vehicle does not have enough time to complete charging before 6am, it will continue to charge until it reaches the target battery percentage."

You're car will always try to finish charging by 6 AM, regardless of SOC. It's done this way to take advantage of lower rates. The departure time setting only applies to pre heating/cooling cabin.

From the manual: "Your vehicle aims to finish charging before 6am (end of off-peak hours). If given sufficient time to charge, charging may stop at 6am, even if your scheduled departure is later. If the vehicle does not have enough time to complete charging before 6am, it will continue to charge until it reaches the target battery percentage."

Thanks, dandrewk, that last part is most important. I wouldn't want it to stop charging just because it's 6am.

Thanks, dandrewk, that last part is most important. I wouldn't want it to stop charging just because it's 6am.

Right. Just as long as you don't expect to fully charged at 6 AM if you plug it in at 4 AM when three hours charge time is required. :)

Tesla does departure setting a bit different from other EVs. The others calculate the length of time to charge to set SOC and aim to be ready an hour or so before that set time.

Mine works 100% of the time reliably.. Couple of points.. My car never sleeps (teslafi shows it rarely ever happens and this is probably because of the apps polling it). I can also see in the IOS app called 'stats' what time it will start charging at to meet my depart by time (e.g. I depart at 5:45am, car is at 65%, charge set to 85%, charge to start at 3:15am, its -7c right now). 2015 P85D running 2019.40.2.3 for what seems eternity.

Is there an option to do Scheduled Departure, but without the charging? Some days I only drive 30 miles and find it pointless to charge everyday from 80% back to 90%. I don't think that's great for the battery longterm and would rather let it reach a lower SoC before topping off (to 90%), except I want to keep the automatic cabin preheat feature. Looks like there's a Weekday/Weekend option but doesn't really accomplish what I want. Am I just spoiled and asking for too much?

Is there an option to do Scheduled Departure, but without the charging? Some days I only drive 30 miles and find it pointless to charge everyday from 80% back to 90%. I don't think that's great for the battery longterm and would rather let it reach a lower SoC before topping off (to 90%), except I want to keep the automatic cabin preheat feature. Looks like there's a Weekday/Weekend option but doesn't really accomplish what I want. Am I just spoiled and asking for too much?

There are a couple apps that do this that I know of. I know 'Stats' and 'Tesla Plus' both have the schedule features but I havnt tried them for those specific features (the other features work great).

There is little, if any negative impact by charging to 90%. If you did 100%, yeah that could have an affect. The real issue is how long you keep it charged at a high percentage.

However, in cold climates like Toronto, you will probably be doing your car a favor by keeping it plugged in all the time. That way the Tesla will keep the battery optimized and better to receive a charge, and then later when you use it for the first time of the day. It draws current from your home, but it is more than paid back by subsequent charging and driving efficiency.