Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is something amiss with my model 3.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model 3 RHD.

Its awesome in lots of ways but one continually annoying thing is when I use my wipers first thing in the morning to clear moisture from the windscreen or use the wiper washers to clean the screen, I end up with quite of lot of water on my driver side window. Not sure if the car is missing a particular item to stop it doing this.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a DIY fix or do I need to book service app to resolve.

Cheers.

The washer jet pointing that way can end up squirting a jet of water at the windscreen which then bounces off and instead of ending up on the wiper blade or screen it will get the person/car to your right or if you're driving along will probably spatter all over the side window like you're seeing.

This may help you diagnose/fix it...

Many thanks Electric Dream. You can actually see in the video the water running over the side of the windscreen, over the chrome door trim and onto the drivers side window akin to what I am experiencing. I'll try adjusting the jet - must admit didn't think they were adjustable.

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I have noticed this as well and it's not the nozzles. I live in FL which has crazy humidity so every morning the car is just covered in water. When I do a single wipe (no nozzle spray), the water always drains down the drivers window. It's due to the low Cd of the car. Tesla didn't put drip rails on so the speed of the wiper just pushes the water fast enough to cross the a pillar and onto the drivers window. I just don't open my windows until this process is done (and the roof water has been removed from wind as well as any right turn will do the same).

The washer jet pointing that way can end up squirting a jet of water at the windscreen which then bounces off and instead of ending up on the wiper blade or screen it will get the person/car to your right or if you're driving along will probably spatter all over the side window like you're seeing.

This may help you diagnose/fix it...

This was informative and oddly mesmerizing (like a lot of slow mo videos are).

Reactions: Dangerous Fish
I've always assumed when things don't work exactly how I expect, it's due to the aero design. In this case, there's less channeling of fluids to go down the sides of the windshield, and less guttering framing the doorframe. Minimizing that, improves the aero, but also means fluid flows down the sides of the side windows.

I have noticed this as well and it's not the nozzles. I live in FL which has crazy humidity so every morning the car is just covered in water. When I do a single wipe (no nozzle spray), the water always drains down the drivers window. It's due to the low Cd of the car. Tesla didn't put drip rails on so the speed of the wiper just pushes the water fast enough to cross the a pillar and onto the drivers window. I just don't open my windows until this process is done (and the roof water has been removed from wind as well as any right turn will do the same).

Thanks JMADDR. Least its not just me then. Rather annoying after you clean your car & end up with loads of rivulets down the drivers window. Guess no fix available so I'll just have to put up with it!

...and less guttering framing the doorframe. Minimizing that, improves the aero, but also means fluid flows down the sides of the side windows.

Slightly OT but if you like to drive with the window barely open like I do on rainy days, much of the time, it's a waterfall directly into the car and onto the electric window buttons. Tesla isn't the first car I've owned that has this issue but it's maddening and like pouring a cup of water into the car.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Many thanks Electric Dream. You can actually see in the video the water running over the side of the windscreen, over the chrome door trim and onto the drivers side window akin to what I am experiencing. I'll try adjusting the jet - must admit didn't think they were adjustable.
I had this and they made an adjustment as to how far left the wiper sweeps. Fixed it 95 percent but I still make sure the windows are up while wiping

Slightly OT but if you like to drive with the window barely open like I do on rainy days, much of the time, it's a waterfall directly into the car and onto the electric window buttons. Tesla isn't the first car I've owned that has this issue but it's maddening and like pouring a cup of water into the car.
Interesting, I can see how that would suck. That may be why people get those air deflector shields for their door frames?

Interesting, I can see how that would suck. That may be why people get those air deflector shields for their door frames?

Yea or the car by design, has a gutter just large enough to channel the water down front/or back of the car instead of a waterfall directly into the car, the smaller the gutter and/or the larger the angle from bottom/top of the window, the more it's a target for water to flow right into. It is super annoying, because in my M3, it's probably the worst I've ever seen. I might video it next time it's raining.

Yes.....Burbank couldn't fix it after two tries.

I took it to Van Nuys for other things. When I picked up my car I noticed it wasn't fixed. The intake guy started to give me a bs story about how it was normal and all cars do the exact same thing.

While I was in the process of explaining the width and depth of intake guy's stupidity, the manager came out and asked me what's wrong.

He took one look at the wipers, said the same thing happened to his Model 3, took it to the back for 5 minutes, had it adjusted and then brought it back, 90 percent fixed (good enough for me....the other 10% is design flaw).