Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla accelerating and decelerating transition to renewables?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what I'm gathering is that in 2020 US EV sales reached 2.3% market share. Tesla contributed 62% of EVs, or 79% of BEVs. This leaves Tesla with a 1.43% share of the US auto market.

I don't see a problem here. A share of 1.43% is pushing no competitor out of the US market. The only problem is that most competitors are still trying to compete with obsolete ICE technology. But that's not Tesla's problem.

So what I'm gathering is that in 2020 US EV sales reached 2.3% market share. Tesla contributed 62% of EVs, or 79% of BEVs. This leaves Tesla with a 1.43% share of the US auto market.

I don't see a problem here. A share of 1.43% is pushing no competitor out of the US market. The only problem is that most competitors are still trying to compete with obsolete ICE technology. But that's not Tesla's problem.

I mentioned previously that the acceleration from Tesla at Shanghai, Berlin and Austin will more than offset any slowdown by competitors.

Most competitors are smart enough to realize they can't afford to slow down.

Bottom line, Tesla is accelerating the transition, via direct action, and giving competitors no options, other than losing market share, or stepping up their efforts.

Reactions: jhm
What Tesla is doing is normalizing non-crappy battery power, and that is an important effort. Too many manufacturers either intentionally or unintentionally hurt public opinion of battery powered equipment (in addition to just making bad products) by underpowering them (not just auto makers, but many other industries too like yard equipment). Tesla might not have huge market share, but without Tesla I think all automakers would still just be making embarrassing golf cart cars, but a few of them are actually trying to make decent ones now. Likewise, I think Tesla has helped drive the desire to build charging networks, another huge requirement for sustainable transport adoption.

Reactions: Buckminster
What Tesla is doing is normalizing non-crappy battery power, and that is an important effort. Too many manufacturers either intentionally or unintentionally hurt public opinion of battery powered equipment (in addition to just making bad products) by underpowering them (not just auto makers, but many other industries too like yard equipment). Tesla might not have huge market share, but without Tesla I think all automakers would still just be making embarrassing golf cart cars, but a few of them are actually trying to make decent ones now. Likewise, I think Tesla has helped drive the desire to build charging networks, another huge requirement for sustainable transport adoption.

there are more
This is their first sheet without PHEV's

1683999209777.png

• Informative
Reactions: jeewee3000