Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla only good for local driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PXL_20210529_021146032.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20210108_213201842.jpg

Reactions: KJD, GSP and RTPEV
You do have more years of driving under your belt than I do, and I respect that, but for many of those years I also bet you grabbed a paper map out of your glovebox or side pocket and actually planned your route using it. Yes, maybe you didn't have to worry about where to fill up (partially because you didn't run the tank down to the last 10 miles of range like you could do if you really needed to in an EV), but you likely did have to do some level of planning.

Nowadays it's different. You use the car's built-in nav and just put in your destination and it does the planning for you. Yes, I suppose it's not as spontaneous as what you remember in the past, but that doesn't mean it's worse. This sounds like a classic case of Rosy Retrospection to me.
You are correct in the past a map was checked to determine what route to take to the desired destination, frequently the route was based on what to see along the way. What I'm perceiving with an EV is that it becomes how to get to the destination from charger to charger Vs take this road to that road and don't concern yourself there will be gas. I would not call charging worse but certainly not as convenient based on number of chargers. "Rosy Retrospection", perhaps but with about 1100 supercharger locations Vs 110,000 gas stations it will likely need to stay as "Rosy Retrospection" for years to come. I generally don't drive even 200 miles w/o a restroom stop, but what I'm use to is stopping any time needed and just top off the tank at the same time, just a convenience. Sorry for rambling. I do like my Y a lot ; I've driven a lot of vehicles over the years and the Y is the best of the lot.

You are correct in the past a map was checked to determine what route to take to the desired destination, frequently the route was based on what to see along the way. What I'm perceiving with an EV is that it becomes how to get to the destination from charger to charger Vs take this road to that road and don't concern yourself there will be gas. I would not call charging worse but certainly not as convenient based on number of chargers. "Rosy Retrospection", perhaps but with about 1100 supercharger locations Vs 110,000 gas stations it will likely need to stay as "Rosy Retrospection" for years to come. I generally don't drive even 200 miles w/o a restroom stop, but what I'm use to is stopping any time needed and just top off the tank at the same time, just a convenience. Sorry for rambling. I do like my Y a lot ; I've driven a lot of vehicles over the years and the Y is the best of the lot.

A good majority of those 110,000 gas stations are literally sitting across street corners from each other, and many in locations that are convenient to where people live (because they can't fuel at home), not necessarily where they travel. Completely unnecessary redundancy.
1628193899949.png

I'm not saying that every traveled route has Superchargers within 2 minutes of the route of travel, but it's becoming pretty darn hard to find common travel routes (i.e. interstates and major highways) without a relatively convenient Supercharger stop. So yes, the route planning done by the nav system is about routing from charger to charger, but that rarely differs materially from the optimal travel route.

And your point about stopping "when the need arises" is a legitimate one, as it does make sense to combine charging stops with restroom stops (as it does with gas stops), so that does put a constraint of say 30-40 miles between charging sites, meaning you are usually within 15-20 minutes of a bathroom opportunity. We aren't there yet, but in many places, we aren't far away. But again, I will bring up my favorite stretch of I-81 in PA between Harrisburg and Hazelton. Until the rest area on that stretch recently re-opened, God help you if you get past Hershey and need to pee, even in a gas vehicle!

A good majority of those 110,000 gas stations are literally sitting across street corners from each other, and many in locations that are convenient to where people live (because they can't fuel at home), not necessarily where they travel. Completely unnecessary redundancy.

And as I've said before, around my part of the country, they still could be too far apart to just go on a trip without looking. Or may be closed at night. There might be six stations on a 100 mile stretch, all at just two locations. I ran my motorcycle to 252 miles and didn't think it could make it, because other stations were closed. There but useless.

"Rosy Retrospection" for years to come
Actually, as EV's increase in popularity, even replacing a small percentage of ICE, marginal gas stations will start going out of business. Then the next level and so on. There will be places where it will be tough to find gas again and gas car drivers will have to plan carefully or risk getting stranded without gasoline.
At some point there will be a crossover point where they are equally convenient (or inconvenient for the benefit of pessimists).
After that point more charging stations will continue to be built and everything will tip the other way.
That's pretty much how technologies supplant each other. Have you tried to find a payphone or buy a typewriter ribbon recently? Any convenient farriers in your area?

This thread is hilarious. I went back and looked at the area in Idaho this "Tesla owner with long distance experience that is limited to 30 min / 100 mi of charging on the super charger network".

If you filter by 120kw+, there are more superchargers than CCS. If you then filter on "plugscore" you lose more CCS because of low ratings.

Finally, if you lived in a mythical world where Tesla slows your charge rate to a crawl so it takes longer to charge and then also limits you to 100 miles of charging on the SC network but provides you a non limited CCS adapter ...

Well I hope they enjoy fighting over the few "probably" working CCS chargers in the Walmart parking lot.

I am all for more and better charging infra, but OP is trolling.

About 15 years ago I rented a Ford escape and took a trip from Austin to Fort Stockton/Marathon/Big Bend. It was my first time traveling west Texas so I thought I was prepared.

I didn't prepare for all of the closed gas stations. It was a nail biting exercise and I remember thinking after passing through a small town that if the next town doesn't have an open gas station we're done.

I have to assume now that it's better with CC pumps.

But just did a quick nav in the Y ... No problem no planning. If I did that same trip in a gas car again I would have more anxiety and be more proactive in planning stops.

This thread is hilarious. I went back and looked at the area in Idaho this "Tesla owner with long distance experience that is limited to 30 min / 100 mi of charging on the super charger network".

If you filter by 120kw+, there are more superchargers than CCS. If you then filter on "plugscore" you lose more CCS because of low ratings.

Finally, if you lived in a mythical world where Tesla slows your charge rate to a crawl so it takes longer to charge and then also limits you to 100 miles of charging on the SC network but provides you a non limited CCS adapter ...

Well I hope they enjoy fighting over the few "probably" working CCS chargers in the Walmart parking lot.

I am all for more and better charging infra, but OP is trolling.
The guy is a troll, not a real Tesla owner. Just stirring things up, for over 100 messages here.

We need to stop feeding the troll.

Actually, as EV's increase in popularity, even replacing a small percentage of ICE, marginal gas stations will start going out of business. Then the next level and so on. There will be places where it will be tough to find gas again and gas car drivers will have to plan carefully or risk getting stranded without gasoline.
At some point there will be a crossover point where they are equally convenient (or inconvenient for the benefit of pessimists).
After that point more charging stations will continue to be built and everything will tip the other way.
That's pretty much how technologies supplant each other. Have you tried to find a payphone or buy a typewriter ribbon recently? Any convenient farriers in your area?

I buy my buggy whips from Amazon.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I guess what I am about to do next month is impossible then. I was talking with my wife about some vacation plans this weekend, and we are going to merge my trip to Salt Lake Comic Con with going down to Los Angeles to go to Universal and Disneyland (STAR WARS GALAXY'S EDGE!!!!!!). It will be about an 1,800 mile loop from Boise to SLC and then down to Las Vegas for a day or two and then down to L.A. and then back up to Boise.

The only place that is troublesome is that gap between Winnemucca and Boise. It's a bit over 250 miles, but I will just use my CHAdeMO adapter at the Greenlots stations there.

Just wanted to add to this thread of my experience- weekend road trip to central Idaho. Spent the night in Boise and twin falls, both of which were planned. Didn’t have to but I wanted to since I haven’t been in 7 years. Went up to Sun Valley and spent the night. Charged at a hotel to 100% and drove Stanley. I didn’t need to do that. Stanley is incredibly rural, there’s a couple of RV parks. Did not charge there. I had more charge remaining on the MY than anticipated when coming back to twin falls that day. It was an incredibly easy trip to do in the MY.

As a Tesla owner I was shocked to realized that the Tesla, pracitically speaking, is only good for local driving. Just taking one long or two or more day trips. Outside of major metropolitan corridors and areas there are relatively few if any Tesla Superchargers.
I strongly disagree. I have driven tens of thousands of miles on long trips away from home (when I lived in California) and used Superchargers almost exclusively, including interstate trips to Oregon, Washington, Arizona, and New Mexico.

There are now a staggering number of Superchargers compared to when I bought my first Tesla in 2013, and the number increases monthly. The network is very well developed and will only improve with time.

And I’ve done my trips while towing a trailer, which requires much more frequent charging stops.

CB49B509-F592-4886-9610-3C3302A5A3EF.jpeg

Just got back from a trip from Texas to Michigan and back. No problems at all. What might have taken me about 20 hrs total (if I did splash and dash and picked up fast food to eat in the car) in an ICE takes about 22 with my LR M3. With Autopilot and getting out and walking around for 20-30 minutes every 2-3 hours I am not nearly as beat up as I am if I drive a long day in an ICE car. My back much prefers my trips in the 3. I will admit that it can take a little more pre-planning to see what food options are near each stop to pick which ones to skip, but that's a minor annoyance.

Long time S owner here. I started doing the LA to Indianapolis area drive years ago and each year it’s gotten better. I’ve done it a total of five times, roughly 25,000 miles. I’ve also driven to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Seattle, NorCal, etc on the west coast. My car had 265 miles of range but in reality had about 220 miles range at speed on 21” wheels. And I never had an issue. A 300+ mile Tesla would’ve been great though.