Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla sending a message to the US Model Y customer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
US customers got BASIC model Y first and there is nothing to be happy about it.

They didn`t get double windows, heated wheel,....

Along with all known paint and alignment issues.

And they paid $60k for that.

Now China is getting all upgrades and fixes, and saying "thank you American people for testing first our beloved car".

While i like Tesla periodic upgrades its just frustrating for current owners who maybe wanted them so badly (heated wheel) and missed it by one or 2 months

Reactions: aspushkin and kaess
US customers got BASIC model Y first and there is nothing to be happy about it.

They didn`t get double windows, heated wheel,....

Along with all known paint and alignment issues.

And they paid $60k for that.

Now China is getting all upgrades and fixes, and saying "thank you American people for testing first our beloved car".

While i like Tesla periodic upgrades its just frustrating for current owners who maybe wanted them so badly (heated wheel) and missed it by one or 2 months

In the world of tech and how fast everything is upgrading so fast, not being happy about personal expectations isn't all Tesla's fault. Anyone who bought a new model vehicle will always have the "basic" version as all issues wont be seen until larger populations use said product. Like someone mentioned before, the expectation of buying something completely new should come with knowing you will be the Beta tester and anything that comes after that will usually be upgraded or better. It is ultimately up to the consumer to make that decision to buy now or wait since Tesla didn't force you to buy their vehicle.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Everyone who bought a Model Y clearly thought it was worth the cost at the time. It’s totally natural & understandable to feel jealous of people who bought it later and got additional features (I’m jealous of people getting heated steering wheels now), but it doesn’t suddenly mean I was ripped off.

Updates and technological advances are always gonna happen over time...letting them make you feel dissatisfied with what you already have is a one-way ticket to an unhappy life.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Everyone who bought a Model Y clearly thought it was worth the cost at the time. It’s totally natural & understandable to feel jealous of people who bought it later and got additional features (I’m jealous of people getting heated steering wheels now), but it doesn’t suddenly mean I was ripped off.

Updates and technological advances are always gonna happen over time...letting them make you feel dissatisfied with what you already have is a one-way ticket to an unhappy life.

You are right, however, my gripe is more with the withholding of features from the US market. I want the best Y available at the time of purchase. Clearly there is a better vehicle than the one I am being sold. Tesla’s silence, where it is their right, is a little out of character for a car company that claims to be customer centric. I am just disappointed is all. With all that said, I am still a big fan of what Tesla is doing. Simplifying the automobile while making it more fun to operate it. Love it.

They aren’t withholding features. The Model Y was launched in China just weeks ago and whether it’s the factory or a local supplier making the updated interior bits, they stopped building the “old” versions back in October when they updated the 3.

At the US factory, they’re going to build MYs with the current center consoles, steering wheels, door cards, etc. until they exhaust existing supply. Tesla doesn’t do model years the way the rest of the industry does. It’s mostly incremental changes. You get the features listed on the website at the time you order.

Yeah... More FUD -- Fear Uncertainty Doubt...

Where have we heard this before? :rolleyes:

A self-proclaimed "fan" who only criticizes Tesla.
A self-proclaimed "fan" that claims they would buy a Tesla if it weren't for some issues (which they NEED to make it public) that makes them always put it off.

You are right, however, my gripe is more with the withholding of features from the US market. I want the best Y available at the time of purchase. Clearly there is a better vehicle than the one I am being sold. Tesla’s silence, where it is their right, is a little out of character for a car company that claims to be customer centric. I am just disappointed is all. With all that said, I am still a big fan of what Tesla is doing. Simplifying the automobile while making it more fun to operate it. Love it.

Yup. No one is forcing anyone to buy a Tesla or any other vehicle. Don't buy if you don't want or like it.

I waited ~13 months after placing my deposit and I'm sure others waited longer.
People in China waited ~9 months after people in the US started getting Ys.
People in Europe are still waiting.

I wish I got the upgrades, but I can't buy teh ~9 months of the fun time I've had with my Tesla.

I don't have an issue with people criticizing Tesla when it's warranted. But for new Tesla owners, there's a learning curve when it comes to ordering/owning... it doesn't follow the model used for 100+ years by every other car maker. I think what gets people so ticked-off when incremental (non-software) changes are made is that they perceive these products as technology devices and so they want the latest/greatest. Because of that perception, when they see a new console or heated wheel go into production on a car the same model year as theirs, they feel short-changed. "I paid the same amount for my 2021 and I didn't get a heated wheel and dual pane front door glass! I should get a refund check or free upgrade to those new features!!!" But once you understand the way Tesla works, it should feel more like "shucks, I wish that new console was available when I ordered MY car. Oh well" vs "Tesla sucks!"

Here's the reality:
  1. Build Quality: Watch Sandy Munroe's videos. The problem is the Fremont Factory. It's old, with an outdated paint shop, and a culture that prioritizes quantity vs quality. That's because up until recently, Tesla had ONE factory working non-stop pumping out cars for the entire planet. The issues are then magnified during the mad rush to deliver more and more cars by the end of each fiscal quarter. They can't shutdown and modernize Fremont or even slow production until China, Austin, and Berlin are all fully online. Those factories are/will be state of the art. Until then, your doors/lights/fenders probably aren't going to line up perfectly and you'll have paint imperfections. It's that simple. The only reason they sell so many vehicles - despite the issues - is that at the moment, there is no competition. Tesla is in a race against the clock trying to get all this sorted out before real competition arrives.

2. Laminated Front Door Glass: Coming from a 2019 Model 3, the Y with single-pane glass has far less side wind noise. The Glass and B-pillars are more flush (if they're installed as designed) and the side mirrors are smaller. The main thing the new glass can help with is noise from outside the car (passing cars, etc). Most wind noise in the Y seems to come from the windshield where it meets the roof panel. I'd say the best advantage of laminated glass is safety in an accident. People are far less likely to be ejected through laminated glass vs. tempered. There are disadvantages to laminated glass to consider. The cost of replacement is much higher, it's heavier, and if you need to exit the vehicle and can't open a door or roll down the windows, you'll need to break a rear door window and exit through there. You can't break through laminated glass.

3. New Center Console: If you don't factor in looks (personal preference) the main advantage to the new console is a reduction in parts and complexity. Sandy Munroe confirmed this in his new videos. Tesla eliminated a multitude of hinges, dampers, mechanisms etc. Far fewer parts, cheaper to build, easier to assemble. I have the original console and one advantage is that you can hide your phone while it's charging wirelessly. If you leave it in the car, it can be hidden from sight. Also, Munroe found that Tesla removed the sound deadening material from the newer console side panels which was designed to reduce HVAC fan noise in the cabin.

4. Heated Steering Wheel: This is a nice feature in cold climates. I'm in Silicon Valley and have had cars with/without heated steering wheels and honestly, I rarely used them. Again, nice feature. Of course, 10 years ago, very few cars even offered heated steering wheels and we all survived just fine.

5. Upcoming New Interior Door Panels: Again, this is personal preference. The new panels with wood trim in black interior cars is a nice addition. However, in white interiors, you lose the white panels in all 4 doors which really brightened things up (particularly in the back seats). This wasn't really done for aesthetics. It's cost cutting and simplification. Model Y (and M3) door panels will be the same in black and white interiors with the exception of a small wood or white aluminum trim piece that I'm sure just snaps into place. And the shift to matte black window switches/trim from gloss is something that some with like, others won't. It will "fit" better once the Y gets the new console which is devoid of piano black.

Last edited:
Not quite sure how you're getting that message. The US-market Model Y has been receiving incremental enhancements since launch (the latest builds including heated steering, glovebox-USB, auto-dimming side mirrors...). The interior pic on the updated ordering page even shows a matte-finish front center console. Now we also have a Standard Range option, as well as 7-seat configuration. Then there is the acceleration-boost option. Where are you feeling let-down? What aspect of the Shanghai Y makes the US Y look dated?

Sure, the new S/X have a high-res 17" left/right-tilting display instead of fixed-mount 15", a display above a yolk-style steering wheel, and Active Noise Cancellation, but those models are also at a significantly-higher price point. And none of those features are in the Shanghai-based Model Y either.

Not only has the US Model Y been getting steady updates, it got a price cut recently in the US. Not exactly sure how Tesla is portraying that they don't care about US customers.

I sense some jealosy here. I remember smug posts some time ago how some would brag that their Model 3 was the new Flagship of Tesla because they had the newer technology (true at the time).

3/Y had the more nimble handling feel, faster battery charging chemistry, fantastic hidden vent HVAC system with heat pumps. They cost bunch less, cheaper to insure, take up less space in the garage, were easier to park etc. It went on and on.

They said they would never want to drive such a big and clumbsy car as a S...let alone an X. Noted how outdated they seemed compared to the latest and super popular value priced offerings.

Now things have changed a bit, and the S/X are the new darlings of the media. Smoother ride with adaptive air suspension, Better handling as well. Now they have faster battery charging chemistry, longer range, even cooler and larger multiple displays, that innovative steering system with even higher technology buttons. No more clumbsy and confusing multiple stalks, state of the art noise cancelling sound systems, more luxurious limo style rear seating, rear passenger display and entertainment systems, and perhaps the ultimate performance packages in the Plaid and Plaid+ etc.

But things will not stay still. The Y and 3 are getting their own updates with multi-pane side windows, heat pumps, I believe air suspension is on it's way, and perhaps even 3 motor configurations like will be going in the New Coupe. FSD is around the corner (still). The pace of innovation is unparalled in the automotive industry.

All Teslas are designed, proto'd, and built in the US right now. The plan for Shanghai is more than just a satellite assembly plant. The HEPA filter redesign is a good example of adapting to fit the market.

The air quality in the Bay Area can get bad (fires) so it'd be good having the option of retrofitting a HEPA filter.

If you need it, you can retrofit a HEPA filter into your car for $100.

Tesla Model 3/Y HEPA Cabin Air Filter Replacement (Set of 2)

I sense some jealosy here. I remember smug posts some time ago how some would brag that their Model 3 was the new Flagship of Tesla because they had the newer technology (true at the time).

3/Y had the more nimble handling feel, faster battery charging chemistry, fantastic hidden vent HVAC system with heat pumps. They cost bunch less, cheaper to insure, take up less space in the garage, were easier to park etc. It went on and on.

They said they would never want to drive such a big and clumbsy car as a S...let alone an X. Noted how outdated they seemed compared to the latest and super popular value priced offerings.

Now things have changed a bit, and the S/X are the new darlings of the media. Smoother ride with adaptive air suspension, Better handling as well. Now they have faster battery charging chemistry, longer range, even cooler and larger multiple displays, that innovative steering system with even higher technology buttons. No more clumbsy and confusing multiple stalks, state of the art noise cancelling sound systems, more luxurious limo style rear seating, rear passenger display and entertainment systems, and perhaps the ultimate performance packages in the Plaid and Plaid+ etc.

Some exaggerated bullshit in this post.

Let me show you what luxury limo style rear seating with rear passenger display and entertainment system really looks like (Tesla doesn’t have it).
mercedes_sclass_043.jpg

Was comparing new Model S to current Model 3..

But I must agree, that picture shows great comfort and luxury...but not an EV.

EV version of S class is coming.

personally I think the back seat of a model s is lousy. The issue is the cushion height is the lowest of all Tesla models which makes it like sitting on a cushion on the floor. It’s awkward for the legs.

I used to use Model S car service when traveling (because I care about carbon footprint) but have since switched to a company which uses the I-pace which is so much more comfortable. Back seat of the Y and X are also great but very few car service companies offer the model x.