Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla service deteriorating as they scale??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been trying for almost three weeks to get someone to contact me about buying a car. Nobody will call me about a used Tesla. Evrntually, someone emailed me and now that person won't return my calls. Also, I gave up trying to contact service and just went down to the service center instead. This is from a new customer trying to give them money. My initial impression is that this is awful. I can imagine if I buy one of these cars and I need to get something done or have a question. I personally know they used to value the sales experience more in the past.
It will only get worse. Take the hint.

FYI - I spoke to the service center and escalated this to the supervisor. Let's see if anything comes from it. Also FYI apparently they send out a survey after the service and that is where we need to provide feedback (good and bad)
In my experience, this is actually true. I've given pretty bad ratings in the past when the SC has badly screwed up (like the third time they damaged my car, or when claiming they can't hear a noise literally anyone with function ears could hear and complain about, or when my instrument cluster was stuck in a boot loop and they did nothing). In 2 out of 3 of these cases, the situation was resolved, so I do suggest you fill out the feedback form.

For those wondering, the instrument cluster was the one they couldn't fix. They do no regression testing for old cars and new software broke it. For safety reasons they suggested I not drive the car until it was resolved, which took nearly 3 months.

It’s actually the opposite. Customer service is one of the most cost-effective ways for a startup to gain market share. We’re not talking about matching luxury brand infrastructure per car. We’re talking about competency.

This isn’t a startup problem. It’s an ethos problem. Owner happiness isn’t really part of the autonomous, Robo future that Tesla pushes

Btw, Tesla was great at CS as a startup.

Yes exactly, customer retention is way cheaper than customer acquisition. The key thing is Tesla/Elon believes people shouldn't own cars in the future. Question is how far away is that future.

Reactions: electricar
I was feeling the same way and I posted this poll: Tesla Total Customer Service Experience poll

Since the OP I've upgraded my customer service experience twice. I have actually been able to do productive live chats and even live phone help for Tesla Charging and Energy questions I had.

What is your Tesla Customer Service experience? Check up to 3 responses.

1. My issue(s) are addressed in a timely manner above my expectations
    12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. *
    My issue(s) are addressed in a timely manner as expected
    13 vote(s)
    29.5%

3. My issue(s) are addressed eventually
    7 vote(s)
    15.9%

4. I have talked to Tesla employee(s) about my issue(s) but nothing is getting done
    7 vote(s)
    15.9%

5. I can't get anyone to address my issue(s)
    8 vote(s)
    18.2%

6. Tesla has failed to address my issue(s) but I'm sticking with them
    6 vote(s)
    13.6%

7. I may not buy some products again because of Tesla's poor customer service
    18 vote(s)
    40.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
CHANGE YOUR VOTE IS HERE ON THE BOTTOM OF THE POLL

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Earthpower
Wow! Tesla Motors is a prime example of a) a GREAT CAR DESIGN with b) marginal quality mechanical assembly coupled with c) The POOREST service attitude in the industry! On my 2016 S, it took EIGHT trips to service to get the HVAC working properly. And a total of 7 months to get all the minor problems fixed.
NOW... With my 2020 model S (bought in December 2019), Things are different. I was not allowed to just LIST all 30 of my initial bugs. Instead, I had to go in with the car and DEMONSTRATE them. Most were software bugs. Slowly over the first six months they got fixed. Example: If I was on the freeway, and a slow car or truck was in the right lane, my car would try to match my speed with the vehicle on the right with a VIGOROUS braking action! No fun. Only a few problems are left. the major one is that the two fender cameras and the two door pillar cameras "fog up" when the temp is cool and damp outside. This prevents the guidance system from working.. I am told that this is NORMAL. I think that in the YEARS TO COME, Tesla may decide to make the camera modules SEALED UNITS.. We will see.

Wow! Tesla Motors is a prime example of a) a GREAT CAR DESIGN with b) marginal quality mechanical assembly coupled with c) The POOREST service attitude in the industry! On my 2016 S, it took EIGHT trips to service to get the HVAC working properly. And a total of 7 months to get all the minor problems fixed.
NOW... With my 2020 model S (bought in December 2019), Things are different. I was not allowed to just LIST all 30 of my initial bugs. Instead, I had to go in with the car and DEMONSTRATE them. Most were software bugs. Slowly over the first six months they got fixed. Example: If I was on the freeway, and a slow car or truck was in the right lane, my car would try to match my speed with the vehicle on the right with a VIGOROUS braking action! No fun. Only a few problems are left. the major one is that the two fender cameras and the two door pillar cameras "fog up" when the temp is cool and damp outside. This prevents the guidance system from working.. I am told that this is NORMAL. I think that in the YEARS TO COME, Tesla may decide to make the camera modules SEALED UNITS.. We will see.

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

73 (from another out of area W2 1x2)

Reactions: InternetDude
Hmmm. All very interesting. Think I'll try a few stats.

Tesla has built about 350,000 cars to date. Let's say 15% no longer exist - through crashes, tired batteries or something else. That leaves about 300,000 still around. Some people own more than 1; let's say that's 20% of the vehicles left. That implies about 240,000 current owners of Tesla vehicles.

There are about 50 posters on this thread about poor service (and a few deniers who we'll ignore). There have been other threads in the past about the same complaint. Let's quadruple the complainers.

That leaves 200 owners out of 240,000 who are mad enough to spend time here writing about it.

Sounds like a 99.92% success rate to me...
The cumulative vehicle production through Q2 2020 is 1,105,990. The rest of your math also doesn’t add up. But as a previous poster said, maybe you were joking.

Try the Corvette or Jaguar forums. Check with Mercedes AMG about plunging resale values and uber expensive after warranty costs. Hear the complaints about owners waiting months for specific unavailable repair parts. Learn how they complain about overpriced oil changes and wiper blades.
Hear the complaints that their premium metallic paint jobs cannot be matched by their dealerships, how their cars are never quite the same after collision damage.
Also hear complaints that they have run out of loaners and need to be shuttled to a nearby
Hear them complain about overpriced OEM wheels and exhaust systems.

Believe it is just the normal course of things with high expectation consumers.
I think on the other end it is a human based system made by humans and run by humans. I have the same issue with part made for space and aerospace. Human deficiency.

We are on page 7 and nobody has mentioned when Tesla's VP of Sales and Service quit in Feb 2018, Saint Elon took over CS personally. And the VP for CS quit four months later. So that's likely one of the reasons it's so messed up, because Elon is the person in charge of service and he answers to nobody.

Tesla President of sales and service leaves, Elon Musk takes over his responsibilities - Electrek

Tesla's VP of worldwide service leaves the automaker - Electrek

I have personally not experienced terrible service issues in WA but I've noticed a distinct trend online where I see a lot more of these complaints as a percentage of Tesla commentary than a few years ago. And I've also told interested buyers the same - it's a great car, but don't expect luxury service. As a former lifetime BMW driver, I know what that service experience is like, and Tesla is determined to deliver something else.

I dread the idea of having to buy a new car especially since the S has been so stripped of options I like such as the solid roof, the range of colors, the alcantara etc. I've been driving an EV since 2013 and a Tesla since 2017 and EV competitors have always been coming "next year". There really aren't a lot of interesting options.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chaserr
I don’t think there is any real disagreement that Tesla service has gone Way downhill in the last two years since the M3 Launch. The Only real issue if you cut through all the clutter is if it has gone completely to Hell or to the Ford level of mediocrity. Honestly, there is a simple reason for that and it’s not all that hard to understand. I think that what we are failing to realize here is that the Tesla brand is doing things completely contrary to conventional wisdom and is transitioning from a luxury brand to a Ford type middle class focused one. Instead of the expensive Model S and X which sold for 100k plus through the 2016-17 period, (myP90D Ludicrous was 135K) they are now driving relentlessly down market and driving prices and profit margins down with it. In fact, They keep reducing prices on the same vehicles they just introduced in an attempt to gain market share. One could argue that their profit margins are now non existent on the 3 and close to that on the Y. Yes I know they are profitable from selling emission credits, but they keep aiming to barely break even on vehicle sales to expand their sales reach. So basically, there is no money left to fund service as there was in the start up days, as everything is a cost center. If they increased spending there, prices would have to go up to cover it. Add the fact that probably 70 plus % of all vehicles are still under warranty and it’s clear that service is simply a big drag on the drive to accept ever lower prices and margins.Im sure that someone on the forum knows how many service centers have been added since the M3 and MY introductions, and it is not many. Just like the sales centers that were closed, they cost money and drain profits from a fully integrated company. So as was said above, get used to it, it’s not going to get better, it’s going to get worse. There are no “Dealers” to push costs to,or franchise fees to be recouped, everything is a cost center and service is a black hole to Elon, and is a controllable expense for him as service VP. So despite our rightful feelings of being special and part of something that is changing the world, Tesla is is no longer a luxury brand. Yes, a high tech brand, the highest, and maybe a barely upmarket brand.If a forum member could graph the average sales price per unit over the past 5 years, it would look much like a ski slope.Not saying his mission to sell EVs by pricing them so low the world has to notice is wrong, just saying that with that goal foremost, you’re not going to get a loaner, or in many cases a person to tell your troubles to. upper mid priced low margin brand that is driving for market share before other companies intrude into their space. Get used to it.....

I've had service performed several times in 3 centers (plus Ranger Service in Naples & Belmont. NC) for my 2 Model X's: Dania Beach, Charlotte & Raleigh.

In every case over the last 5+ years, service has been impeccable

In fact, last week I was out of town in Cary, NC preparing to go on a long trip to Ohio and had a AP freeze on my White X. I called the National service number and they ran me through their fixes (to no avail) & they scheduled a service visit for me in Raleigh early afternoon that same day. The Raleigh service team was able to quickly fix the problem and I was on my way. Simply Outstanding!

I think it comes down to this:

- I Love my car, I love the way it handles, drives, accelerates, I Love to drive it.
- I Love the unique features that don't have comparison to any other, such as - the cruise control is amazing (TACC), I love having the reverse camera always up, and doors that close when I hit the brake

I've had 3 Model S's and now the X, driving Tesla exclusively since 2014 - this will be my last Tesla because of the service experiences over the past 2 years.
The service from the very beginning 2016 has been a real challenge. Customer service nil. When I am in need of service , which has also been from the very beginning, I am totally frustrated. The last was About a month ago. On the app I had no option for the edit. The date and time they gave me was not suitable. . Trying to get in touch with a person is next to Impossible. My suspension went so the car was very difficult to drive. Tesla has a lot of competition now and will need to improve their customer service, especially because the number of Tesla’s has become so much higher.

I've had service performed several times in 3 centers (plus Ranger Service in Naples & Belmont. NC) for my 2 Model X's: Dania Beach, Charlotte & Raleigh.

In every case over the last 5+ years, service has been impeccable

In fact, last week I was out of town in Cary, NC preparing to go on a long trip to Ohio and had a AP freeze on my White X. I called the National service number and they ran me through their fixes (to no avail) & they scheduled a service visit for me in Raleigh early afternoon that same day. The Raleigh service team was able to quickly fix the problem and I was on my way. Simply Outstanding!

Perhaps you live in a Tesla Desert, and the ratio of number of cars to SeC is favorable..