Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is Tesla trying to become the absolute worst service organization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've had my Model S for just shy of 7 years now and I've seen quite a change in Tesla service. When I first got my car, they where top notch. Over the years however, I've noticed the service level go down, down, down to the point where it's just crap. Today, my onboard chargers suddenly stopped working and the car won't charge on ac. I can still charge at a supercharger, but not at home. I tried calling Tesla service but they want you to schedule using the phone app (does everything nowadays have to be done with a phone app?). The best I could do with the phone app was a mobile visit in a week. I also tried leaving a help email at their website and voice mail message at the local service center (they don't answer the phone), but after 3 hours I still haven't heard any response to either. I used to be very proud of my Tesla and wanted to show it off to everyone. Now I'm not so sure.

Tesla servie offerings have gone mobile, meaning you using their mobile app for more and more with each release. The old ways of calling a service center seems to be going away. While this is not what you expected since the early days of your Model S, this is the new way as their vehicles are now approaching 1 million +. With a fleet that large, they are looking at new ways of providing support (ie, requesting other SC and mobile service through the app, getting tire rotation at home, getting glass replacement at the SC, etc...).

I guess the difference here, is that they are gearing up for the next generation of ownership where using technology to simplify requesting service through their mobile app is becoming more common. While it's not what you would expect, it feel like it's going in that direction more and more. Some are proud to see new ways of improving service, while others see it as a hassle an want the old dealership ways.

I guess it's really in the eye of the beholder.

Note: Leaving emails and if you can leave a VOICEMAIL won't get you a response, however from my experience once you book your appointment through the app, you'll get a text message shortly thereafter, along with a call if they have any details questions for you before your actual service appointment.

First, you are doing it wrong. Call emergency roadside assistance. They will look up your car while on the phone and check the records confirming the changer failure code.

Then you can demand they put you through to service and schedule and appointment. That's what I did when my charger failed on the way home from Sacramento to the bay area.

It's a workaround, but at the same time, you'll be able to confirm the failure with Tesla, they can make your appointment and enter the text describing the problem and code.

You can schedule online. That's good.
It's the amount of time that's the problem, and it's due to cost cutting that Tesla has needed to keep their losses low enough to convince investors to send more money their way.

At best, Model Y will be needed to provide the profitability to expand service, at worst it'll never recover.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
First, you are doing it wrong. Call emergency roadside assistance. They will look up your car while on the phone and check the records confirming the changer failure code.

Then you can demand they put you through to service and schedule and appointment. That's what I did when my charger failed on the way home from Sacramento to the bay area.

It's a workaround, but at the same time, you'll be able to confirm the failure with Tesla, they can make your appointment and enter the text describing the problem and code.

Not being able to speak or correspond with a human at the local SC is what makes the current service experience so bad.

Not being able to speak or correspond with a human at the local SC is what makes the current service experience so bad.

Everything makes the current experience bad. The people, by and large, are still good. They are doing the best with what they have.
We are going on two days with no access to a loaner car (despite being put on “the list” each day). Our model X has not even been diagnosed yet after the power steering went out Sunday. The car is still sitting in the same spot at the service center with nothing but Uber credits to show for it and 3 kids in car seats shoved into the back of my Model S.

So, I've had my Model S for just shy of 7 years now and I've seen quite a change in Tesla service.

Your user name made me fondly recall the good ol days when the Tesla VP over the service organization, Jon McNeill, monitored and occasionally participated in this forum. His forum name doesn't seem to come up any more, but it was something close to yours, JonMc or similar.

Come to think of it - those of us with leases are paying anywhere from $30-$60/day when our cars are sitting in service, yet Tesla won’t pony up to cover a loaner car during that time!?

I met a gentleman today who was told his car needed more than a day to be fixed and when he said was heading out of town for two days - they told him he would incur a STORAGE FEE.

I met a gentleman today who was told his car needed more than a day to be fixed and when he said was heading out of town for two days - they told him he would incur a STORAGE FEE.

Oh, I had to fight them one time to have them keep our S so I am not surprised. They didn't complete a requested repair (ignored that line item it appears), so when we said we would just leave the car until they completed the original repair, they said no and that they weren't allowed to keep cars; we would need to make another appointment.

Since this was the 4th time we had the car in for this exact issue only to have it not fixed the prior times, we told them nope, you figure out how to keep the car, we are leaving it until it is done, period. The dumbest thing about the whole saga was the repair they couldn't manage for all those visits was just a replacement of the T decal on his trunk lid. Maybe a 5 minute job? Took them another day, but they finally got that decal on. :rolleyes:

That particular saga was the one where my husband was an inch away from selling his S and buying an ICE. The sheer incompetance for a simple decal repair was astounding. It involved 2 mobile service visits, one mobile service no show, one service center visit and one late night argument with an SA to keep the car and PLEASE just put the decal on so we don't have to deal with it anymore.

Oh, I had to fight them one time to have them keep our S so I am not surprised. They didn't complete a requested repair (ignored that line item it appears), so when we said we would just leave the car until they completed the original repair, they said no and that they weren't allowed to keep cars; we would need to make another appointment.

Since this was the 4th time we had the car in for this exact issue only to have it not fixed the prior times, we told them nope, you figure out how to keep the car, we are leaving it until it is done, period. The dumbest thing about the whole saga was the repair they couldn't manage for all those visits was just a replacement of the T decal on his trunk lid. Maybe a 5 minute job? Took them another day, but they finally got that decal on. :rolleyes:

That particular saga was the one where my husband was an inch away from selling his S and buying an ICE. The sheer incompetance for a simple decal repair was astounding. It involved 2 mobile service visits, one mobile service no show, one service center visit and one late night argument with an SA to keep the car and PLEASE just put the decal on so we don't have to deal with it anymore.

This is an all too familiar story. Just replace your issue with issue A, B, or C it’s all the same story.

The shorts out there will tell you Tesla no longer wants to repair warranty concerns due to cash flow issues. I’m starting to believe them given how many times service has “forgotten” to order parts and reschedules me 3 weeks down the road.

The shorts out there will tell you Tesla no longer wants to repair warranty concerns due to cash flow issues. I’m starting to believe them given how many times service has “forgotten” to order parts and reschedules me 3 weeks down the road.

There is some evidence they are reluctant to repair some things under warranty, the yellow border being the most visible example. Wonder how many arbitration cases Tesla lost just on that issue (lots of reports of arbitration wins in that thread and only a couple of losses).

I think my service issues have all just been incompetance at this point. Not the right parts ordered, zero communication, etc. I get better service for my beat up 2006 Tacoma at our local Toyota dealer, which is a bit sad.

There is some evidence they are reluctant to repair some things under warranty, the yellow border being the most visible example. Wonder how many arbitration cases Tesla lost just on that issue (lots of reports of arbitration wins in that thread and only a couple of losses).

I think my service issues have all just been incompetance at this point. Not the right parts ordered, zero communication, etc. I get better service for my beat up 2006 Tacoma at our local Toyota dealer, which is a bit sad.

In California, it’s 30 days in service = a lemon.

Reactions: asrose
So, I've had my Model S for just shy of 7 years now and I've seen quite a change in Tesla service. When I first got my car, they where top notch. Over the years however, I've noticed the service level go down, down, down to the point where it's just crap. Today, my onboard chargers suddenly stopped working and the car won't charge on ac. I can still charge at a supercharger, but not at home. I tried calling Tesla service but they want you to schedule using the phone app (does everything nowadays have to be done with a phone app?). The best I could do with the phone app was a mobile visit in a week. I also tried leaving a help email at their website and voice mail message at the local service center (they don't answer the phone), but after 3 hours I still haven't heard any response to either. I used to be very proud of my Tesla and wanted to show it off to everyone. Now I'm not so sure.
I can tell you that the service centers and parts people and sales at locations dont bother to answer phones. Its truely sad. I did get the delivery area at the service center once locally and asked to be tranfered to tony in service and was told they were in a diff building next door and didnt have the ability to tranfer a call to service...WHAT!!!!! lame

This is an all too familiar story. Just replace your issue with issue A, B, or C it’s all the same story.

how cAN that be? the tesla sc in denver on broadway has like 3-4 guys just in service on any given day always on the computers.

omg are you serious?????? How can you even not be pissed and how can they fix that??? What did you do?

There comes a point where you don’t get angry anymore, you just get sad. I’m saddened because of how much I’ve loved and supported this company. It’s like watching a family member succumb to addiction and eventually become homeless and you’re helpless, just watching from afar.