Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the $1,000 deposit Refundable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's kind of the point. They removed the reservation right away and there is no place to select any option, nor was there such an option when canceling. No confirmation of any sort, other than an on-screen message after having submitted the cancellation.

To me this comes across exactly like the behavior of many of the target market on this forum, i.e. "thank you for your money and welcome to the cult", followed by "buzz off, you're not worthy" if I fail to worship correctly.

I hope they'll get their act together and I'll be able to buy one of their cars once they have finally got to the point where they care about quality and service.

You put down a refundable deposit of $1,000 that is in the process of being refunded. How much entitlement do you think that should buy you?

Tesla uncorked a Model X I got in Dec 2016 reducing my 0-60 by over a second a few months ago for FREE - and hooked me up with Tesla Model S loaner to use for the day.

Can you find any manufacturer anywhere that has done this for their customers?

"Worship/admiration/appreciation", whatever you want to call it is warranted at times.

Being an actual owner might give you more credibility (and personal experience) on Tesla's quality and service.

That's kind of the point. They removed the reservation right away and there is no place to select any option, nor was there such an option when canceling. No confirmation of any sort, other than an on-screen message after having submitted the cancellation.

To me this comes across exactly like the behavior of many of the target market on this forum, i.e. "thank you for your money and welcome to the cult", followed by "buzz off, you're not worthy" if I fail to worship correctly.

I hope they'll get their act together and I'll be able to buy one of their cars once they have finally got to the point where they care about quality and service.
I was initially feeling that you wanted help, though I can see after 2 initial posts of diatribe 2.5 years ago you have not managed to temper those feelings of negativity to the opinions of others.
Critique is welcomed here, and I have been pushing on many issues myself and have some great debate here and major disagreements on blind faith. Therefore I believe it unwarranted to consider this a cult, rather, it is fair to say you’re on a passionate Tesla fan site, because... um... it is ;)

I wish you well and that you find a reasoned balance to your outputs here, though freely admit part of me hopes it will be at least another 2.5 before you post again - I will not know either as my feed will not be cluttered by you and will not feed you further. The ignore member option, for me, is to help the signal to noise ratio and being used. Goodbye.

I was initially feeling that you wanted help, though I can see after 2 initial posts of diatribe 2.5 years ago you have not managed to temper those feelings of negativity to the opinions of others.
Critique is welcomed here, and I have been pushing on many issues myself and have some great debate here and major disagreements on blind faith. Therefore I believe it unwarranted to consider this a cult, rather, it is fair to say you’re on a passionate Tesla fan site, because... um... it is ;)

I wish you well and that you find a reasoned balance to your outputs here, though freely admit part of me hopes it will be at least another 2.5 before you post again - I will not know either as my feed will not be cluttered by you and will not feed you further. The ignore member option, for me, is to help the signal to noise ratio and being used. Goodbye.

You know what, there are two reasons I don’t own a tesla, despite having more than a passing interest in electrical powertrains and tesla in particular:

The first reason is that in my perception of their quality is that it is very poor for the price point (on all of their vehicles currently for sale).

The second reason, and perhaps the more important one, is that I believe that the kind of people who write replies like the one quoted above are doing the company a great disservice. This holier than thou, condescending blabber does two things:

1. Turns off the likes of me (i.e. those who dare speak with insufficient awe) from wanting to be associated with the brand and

2. Gives Tesla a pass and allows them to continue to slack when it comes to improving quality, which lessens my chances of actually finding a nice and halfway-reliable Tesla soon.

The same people referenced above would generally reply to #1 with something along the lines of “get lost, we didn’t need you here anyway” and to #2 with “you don’t know what you’re talking about, it’s perfect, you just don’t understand because you don’t own one or are too dim to comprehend the greatness”.

Meanwhile the likes of Porsche/Audi will continue to actually test their electric vehicles and in the end will get my money once again ... which, as one who gives a toss about American manufacturing, pisses me off to no end.

Side-note: apart from this forum, the last time I had to deal with “I’m ignoring you” as an answer to an argument, I was a lot younger than my children are now.

Anyone know if the $1K deposit is refundable once you receive an invite and select hold my place in line rather than configure?
That scenario would mean that receiving an invite would immediately convert your deposit to non-refundable status without prior notice. It’s hard to see how that would be legal.

But as Twiglett wrote above, ask Tesla for the official answer.

That scenario would mean that receiving an invite would immediately convert your deposit to non-refundable status without prior notice. It’s hard to see how that would be legal.

But as Twiglett wrote above, ask Tesla for the official answer.
Of course Tesla would be the “official” response. What I was actually wondering is if I received an invite and deferred for AWD or the SR would the 1K deposit be refundable up until the time that Tesla invited me to configure for either of the two options?

I guess I don't understand why one would think they would not get a refundable deposit back if they asked for it. In my experience, Tesla has always tried to do the right thing. Of course, they are the new kid on the block, building things not done before, exceeding expectations, learning how. But look where they've come from and where they are now. You see in my avatar that I have two. I own them. And I have stock, which, incidentally, allowed me to buy the two Teslas. That's the major difference I see in having educated faith and trust as opposed to thinking everyone is going to steal from you.

Until you configure your car, the $1,000 is refundable (regardless if you are open to configure or not). Once you configure, you will be required to pay an additional $2,500 deposit which is non-refundable which Tesla will use to "locate a vehicle." (I am currently waiting for Tesla to locate my vehicle - I hope they find one soon in their factory somewhere).

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic