Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the 2020 model X a reliable vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

After owning gas cars my entire life and doing all oil fluid changes myself, I purchased a 2020 model X with only 28k miles. I absolutely love the car inside and out... That being said, in just eight months I have replaced the front axles, window regulator failed, charging ports actuator failed, rear hatch door won't close, and now the final straw... My AC compressor failed leaving me and the car limping home and forcing me to put it in the workshop (climate controlled). My 300,000 mile dodge ram that I traded this car for always kept me nervous but never let me down. Now this car that made me comfortable has failed me numerous times. Are you guys having a similar experience? My warranty is up in two months and I can't even imagine the costs of all this. Advice appreciated.

PS my buddies model 3 is going on 6 years with literally not a single service visit.

Last edited:

After owning gas cars my entire life and doing all oil fluid changes myself, I purchased a 2020 model X with only 28k miles. I absolutely love the car inside and out... That being said, in just eight months I have replaced the front axles, window regulator failed, charging ports actuator failed, rear hatch door won't close, and now the final straw... My AC compressor failed leaving me and the car limping home and forcing me to put it in the workshop (climate controlled). My 300,000 mile dodge ram that I traded this car for always kept me nervous but never let me down. Now this car that made me comfortable has failed me numerous times. Are you guys having a similar experience? My warranty is up in two months and I can't even imagine the costs of all this. Advice appreciated.

PS my buddies model 3 is going on 6 years with literally not a single service visit.
Some are, some are not. My 2018 Model X was in the shop every few months for something. My 2022 that I have now, has not had a single service event in two years.

Generally, the Model Y and Model 3 are considered more reliable than the X (or S). I traded in the 2018 for the 2022 just as the warranty expired. My Model 3 has only had a single service event in five years of ownership. I am comfortable continuing the Model 3 outside warranty. I would be pretty nervous about my Model X out of warranty. We'll see how the next two years go. So far, so good. It is really about your specific experience, more than the the vehicle itself.

I appreciate both of your insights. As I bought the car third party, there is not a warranty option to my knowledge, but I will do some homework. It's a very weird spot to be in. I will have to Uber to work tomorrow with a $70k car in the garage!

If I weren't in AZ I think things would be different... That poor compressor cycles on and off 24/7. I predicted this a month ago. I honestly think Tesla should have specd a compressor that is a oversized.

Anyways, I tried hard to not turn this into a rant, I'll be at the SC tomorrow hopefully and I'll update this forum for future data. (Tesla sounded so beyond stressed and said the entire parking lot was full of blown AC Tesla's).

I had driven the 2020 model X for 3 years....a great vehicle. I'd never had to bring it in for repair/service. The car has 70k miles. It now belongs to my younger brother and he loves it. I leased the car. Instead of returning it to Tesla at the end of the lease term, my brother bought it from me.

I currently drive a 2023 model X (purchased it when the price dropped to $80k)....another great car.

I also have a 2018 Model S with 98k miles on it. My son now drives it. The only time that I had to bring this car to the shop was for the wheel alignment (due to excessive inner tire wear on the rear). The original range was 325 miles. Now after 6 yrs of ownership, the range only drops to 298 miles. I love all of the Telas that I have driven.

I appreciate both of your insights. As I bought the car third party, there is not a warranty option to my knowledge, but I will do some homework. It's a very weird spot to be in. I will have to Uber to work tomorrow with a $70k car in the garage!

If I weren't in AZ I think things would be different... That poor compressor cycles on and off 24/7. I predicted this a month ago. I honestly think Tesla should have specd a compressor that is a oversized.

Anyways, I tried hard to not turn this into a rant, I'll be at the SC tomorrow hopefully and I'll update this forum for future data. (Tesla sounded so beyond stressed and said the entire parking lot was full of blown AC Tesla's).
Go to your Tesla app, and scroll down to the bottom for “Upgrades”. Do you have the option for the “Extended Service Agreement”?

PS my buddies model 3 is going on 6 years with literally not a single service visit.yea tge
Yes the 2020 is very reliable and the no cabin camera makes fsd so much better no nags I don’t care what anyone says it makes a huge difference I basically fall asleep when driving it’s so good

Sorry to hear that, X is usually less reliable, you can get an extended warranty from XCare or sell it.

As someone who purchased the 2020 Model X LR brand new -- in my own personal experience -- I have had a ton of issues. My biggest gripe is not getting straight-forward answers from my service center. Issues aren't easily replicated while in the service center, even when sharing time logs of issues with techs.

Most, if not all, were covered under warranty during the first 60,000 miles. Feel free to look at my post history as I have detailed many of the issues I've experienced for other owners.

Since then I have purchased Xcare's extended warranty plan and I feel pretty confident about the car for the next 10 years.

Reiterating again, in my own personal experience -- when the car is working flawlessly I absolutely love the damn thing. Anytime I have to bring it into the service center, I know I'm going to be stressed a bit so I know what you're going through.

Reactions: XCare EV