Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the cost of PPF worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don’t even start with that crap. You probably paid for the Turtle Wax spray that has the word “ceramic coating” on the label. Spouting out chemicals from the periodic table doesn’t make your case for $15 ceramic coating any better.
You made the claim, so you support it... and I misspoke, it cost me $20. Can I get unobtanium silicon dioxide for that price?

Last edited:
Yes they did get little chips and blips but it never bothered me or the buyers and dealers I sold the cars to.
I think you've answered your own question.

However, I PPFed my whole car myself. Cost and even the protection offered were not factors in my decision. I was excited about the car and excited to learn a new skill and buy some new tools. It's been over two years and the PPF is doing the job. Just a couple of spots on the bumper, most protection afforded was on the flare outs in front of the rear wheels.

Just got my white MYLR and am struggling with the decision to do a (Front) PPF.
Costs over $1800 with Taxes in canada.
I have owned a number of cars, including Luxury brands, and never had PPF on any. Yes they did get little chips and blips but it never bothered me or the buyers and dealers I sold the cars to.

For those who decided NOT to PPF, do you have any regrets?
Why not just get a DIY front bumper PPF and maybe a couple of strips for the bottom of the back doors where rocks kick up? Also, maybe pick up some mud flaps to cut down on rocks. That's what I'd do. That will only cost you a few hundred bucks.

Why not just get a DIY front bumper PPF and maybe a couple of strips for the bottom of the back doors where rocks kick up? Also, maybe pick up some mud flaps to cut down on rocks. That's what I'd do. That will only cost you a few hundred bucks.
Mainly because most will never get a front bumper on looking good, a small portion can but not many, having a warranty helps, having insurance pay for it in the event of an accident is another reason, other is time, people would prefer to spend it with family or out enjoying life vs tinkering with their car trying to do something that isn't simple. I've seen a number of Tesls's out there over the year who tried their selves and to say the least it really looks bad imo and I hate having to charge more to remove it at my 3 shops and put on new stuff for them, don't do it a ton but combined likely 15-25 times per year. To each their own of course but I certainly don't try to lay cement in from of my house or do brickwork and it doesn't look all too hard, plus would assume I could do it cheaper per sa being 75% off the cost but time, effort etc... leads me to hiring a trained professional to do it for me and suspect most would prefer that route if given the option.

Mainly because most will never get a front bumper on looking good, a small portion can but not many, having a warranty helps, having insurance pay for it in the event of an accident is another reason, other is time, people would prefer to spend it with family or out enjoying life vs tinkering with their car trying to do something that isn't simple. I've seen a number of Tesls's out there over the year who tried their selves and to say the least it really looks bad imo and I hate having to charge more to remove it at my 3 shops and put on new stuff for them, don't do it a ton but combined likely 15-25 times per year. To each their own of course but I certainly don't try to lay cement in from of my house or do brickwork and it doesn't look all too hard, plus would assume I could do it cheaper per sa being 75% off the cost but time, effort etc... leads me to hiring a trained professional to do it for me and suspect most would prefer that route if given the option.
LOL. Gee, I wonder if you are giving an unbiased opinion here. Come on, man. It's not that hard to put on a pre-cut front bumper PPF on a car.

Reactions: zoomer0056
LOL. Gee, I wonder if you are giving an unbiased opinion here. Come on, man. It's not that hard to put on a pre-cut front bumper PPF on a car.
Thank you for sharing your additional thoughts on this. I appreciate your perspective and understand where you're coming from. However, I’d like to provide some additional insight into the complexities involved in applying paint protection film (PPF) along with some pictures down the road if I can find them on my phone as have 30,000 plus pics on there, and the mental capacity to remember to come back and post them.

I do say this politely and and everything else here, not trying to be rude etc... I would personally love to have you come to the shop anytime and install say a tesla bumper or some other car in the same skill requirement as a tesla bumper. I do believe you may or may not be shocked that it isn't easy to do, and line up properly, let alone be contamination free or choose the right amount of slip vs tack solution and ratios of mixes to use.

While it may seem straightforward, applying PPF, especially to a front bumper, is an intricate and detailed process. It goes beyond simply sticking on a pre-cut piece of film. Here are a few points to consider:

1. Precision and Skill: Professional installers spend years honing their skills. It's not just about laying film on a flat surface; it's about managing curves, edges, and complex shapes without creating bubbles, wrinkles, or misalignments along with debris under the film.
  2. Surface Preparation: The vehicle's surface must be cleaned well and prepared to avoid trapping debris under the film. Even a tiny speck of dust can affect the final outcome along with a clean environment is needed too do quality work...
  3. Stretching and Alignment: Proper stretching and alignment are crucial, especially on curved surfaces like bumpers. This ensures the film adheres properly without distorting the material or leaving areas unprotected, silvering, stretch marks etc...
  4. Stress and Attention to Detail: Installers strive for perfection, and the pressure to deliver a quality job is high. The process requires patience, steady hands, and an eye for detail, all of which come with experience, time, wasted film and practice.
  5. Quality Assurance: A professional installation often includes warranties and quality guarantees. If something goes wrong, clients can rely on the installer to rectify the issue, providing peace of mind.
  6. Can Most Put a Screen Protector on Their Phone Cleanly: Answer is no and in the case of a car this is far more square footage. This is why there's new protectors that clean the phone and apply in one fell swoop.
While DIY kits and pre-cut films are available, most prefer professional installations to ensure optimal protection, coverage, insurance and appearance etc... It’s similar to how some people choose to have their car detailed by professionals rather than doing it themselves. I'm certainly not implying no one can do it on their own, again I just hate seeing people waste their money/time or have film on their car that look atrocious, which does affect the industry as a whole, since people will think this is what clear bra looks like.

At the end of the day, our goal is to provide high-quality service and protection for a clients vehicle, ensuring it looks great and remains protected for years to come. I hope this sheds some extra light on the expertise and effort involved in professional PPF installation.

PPF saved multiple headlights from cracking and front bumpers from getting sandblasted. I would say its 100% necessary and if you can't stomach the high cost some shops charge, maybe find a good set on amazon and self diy. I've done the cheap DYI kits and I've also gotten it done at high end ppf shops. Its just a difference of quality/workmanship and how close they get to the edge. Some of the nicer shops will wrap ppf over the edge so you don't see the transition. Cheap stuff will turn yellow after a few years too/

Reactions: NashClearBra
PPF saved multiple headlights from cracking and front bumpers from getting sandblasted. I would say its 100% necessary and if you can't stomach the high cost some shops charge, maybe find a good set on amazon and self diy. I've done the cheap DYI kits and I've also gotten it done at high end ppf shops. Its just a difference of quality/workmanship and how close they get to the edge. Some of the nicer shops will wrap ppf over the edge so you don't see the transition. Cheap stuff will turn yellow after a few years too/
I did my whole 2022 MSLR with Xpel. It has done it's job and still going strong in 2.5 years. The film is guaranteed against yellowing. When buying the precuts pieces, all edges that could be wrapped were extended. I am still impressed at how the corners were cut on the pieces that had two wrapped edges meeting. I learned a new skill, had an excuse to buy more tools and still having bragging rights after two and a half years. If one likes learning new things, likes a challenge and has time, try it yourself.

Reactions: NashClearBra
Worth it... completely depends on the person. If you are the type of personality that is going to flip out over a scratch, rock chip, dirt on your car ; you are a good candidate for PPF.
There is definitely a percentage of owners that fall into this bucket and within the forum I think a much higher percentage than compared with the general population.

For most everyone else you would have a hard time convincing me of the value of PPF, return on investment wise in terms of resale it is a terrible value.
I am trading in my 5 year old Model 3 ;
The paint still looks good to me, are their imperfections, small issues present if one looks very close YES ; would it look better if I had PPF done when purchased ; of course it would but the price I am getting would not be any higher if I paid X to get PPF 5 years ago. Maybe a slight difference if privately selling vs. trading it in could be assumed but model year, mileage, blue book values reign supreme.

Of course I am talking about clear PPF only, PPF can also be used to give your car a completely different look and given how long it lasts and the superior quality it may be worth it for that over say a vinyl wrap or new paint job. I think again only a small percentage of owners think changing the color/look of their car is worth the added expense.

If you plan on keeping your car a minimum of 10+ years ; a case for it's value could also be made.

Reactions: Midpack and OCR1

why not DIY is a simple answer for me: not for a job this big in physical size, and i'd hate the imperfect results.

i had a well-regarded shop do my full front end, in a tip top facility, and even then i found a few miniscule hair type debris lodged under the film.

to get a satisfactory result i'd need the front end and the film to be completely clean, in a room thats fully sealed, and not a mis-slip of the job. its tough enough to do that for a small consumer device.... for a car panel, any fingerprint, air bubble, pollen, flecks of dirt that gets trapped under the film is going to drive me nuts.