Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the current CPU chip for full FSD made in China?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the current CPU chip for full self-drive autonomous mode made in China? A few month's back it was stated that Nvidia's chip did not have the capacity to do full self drive capacity so Tesla turned to China to supply it. But just today I heard Sandy Munro in response to battery day market craziness say the "chip" was a function of Tesla's make it in house vertical integration. All this implies that some older models will not have the capability to perform the newer generation neural network of FSD. (You know, the one Elon is driving around with and testing it out)

All this implies that some older models will not have the capability to perform the newer generation neural network of FSD. (You know, the one Elon is driving around with and testing it out)

I see you're new here, look for "HW3" and "HW2" and "HW2.5" and "HW1" or "AP1" threads. Tesla moved through three different iterations of hardware for self driving over the past 5 years.

Tesla designed and engineered the chip out of the US primarily and then outsource the chip and motherboard manufacturing to cheaper locales (Asia). So the physical hardware was made somewhere else, but the work to design and code was done locally.
NO US company could do circuit board & assembly - all had moved to China.
Chip made by Samsung in Austin, Texas.

search youtube: tesla autonomous day

IBM makes the power chip and servers in Quebec Canada...
Parc scientifique Bromont - Microelectronics
I didn't mean ALL circuit boards makers have moved.
side note: Tesla ships parts to China to get FSD made AND then pays 25% import fee to bring them back. Tesla tried to get exemption from 25% import fee, but Trump refused (Trumps war on China - you can search and read all about it.)

MUSK even buys steel for his factories from US companies - and China import steel was cheaper.

I only think I know what I read.

Tesla designed and engineered the chip out of the US primarily and then outsource the chip and motherboard manufacturing to cheaper locales (Asia). So the physical hardware was made somewhere else, but the work to design and code was done locally.
NO US company could do circuit board & assembly - all had moved to China.
Chip made by Samsung in Austin, Texas.

search youtube: tesla autonomous day
thank you Smart Electric

I didn't mean ALL circuit boards makers have moved.
side note: Tesla ships parts to China to get FSD made AND then pays 25% import fee to bring them back. Tesla tried to get exemption from 25% import fee, but Trump refused (Trumps war on China - you can search and read all about it.)

MUSK even buys steel for his factories from US companies - and China import steel was cheaper.

I only think I know what I read.
Brando, I like your Quote "I only think I know what I read"! Also glad to know Elon gets steel from US.

Reactions: Brando
Steel from US for US factories
(he wouldn't ship steel to China for China factory)

ANY one who has paid for FSD - and not gotten the latest FSD computer ?? Everyone gets upgraded IF/WHEN they paid for FSD, right? what is the oldest car you can upgrade to latest FSD? anyone?