Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Is the eMMC memory subject to Failure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There, recently, is a lot of talk about the S having eMMC memory failures because of the excessive writes of the system log.

Is the Roadster subject to this kind of failure?

Support for the Roadster has been evaporating from Tesla themselves (as has their service gone way downhill). So I'd like to know if there is a problem and possible solution?

I'm nerdy enough to take apart the unit and re-solder a new eMMC memory chip. But it would need to be flashed, which would mean having an image of the firmware on hand.

Anyone familiar with this potential issue?

(I developed a linux based MCU using flash memory, and I wrote the logs to a virtual FS in RAM, so as to not abuse the flash. And I'm pretty disgusted with any engineers who didn't take such a thing into consideration.)

-Scott

I don't have much knowledge on the issue but my model s is currently at the service center having the MCU replaced after it failed. I think this has to do with the recent update, seems like all of the sudden in the past week there's a ton of people having this issue. It also appears that my service center might be out of the part which would indicate they've done a lot of replacements recently. Originally I was told the repair would be done same day but now I am told they don't know when it will be done

I don't have much knowledge on the issue but my model s is currently at the service center having the MCU replaced after it failed. I think this has to do with the recent update, seems like all of the sudden in the past week there's a ton of people having this issue. It also appears that my service center might be out of the part which would indicate they've done a lot of replacements recently. Originally I was told the repair would be done same day but now I am told they don't know when it will be done
I would like to know if you notice any previous clues before your MCU failed.
I am having an issue with the last -Four- firmwares. I think the issues are memory based and I am basing this on the fact that the browser cannot run and therefore the system will not download the release notes or the owners manual. I called the service center about this a week ago and the first question asked was "does the browser work".
I haven't heard back from them so I'll wait another week and try again

v9.0 (32.12.2 58f3b76) 02 Oct 2019, 33,400 Miles - WiFi, In Car,
NOTE!! No Release Notes, No browser

v9.0 (32.11.1 d39e85a) 02 Oct 2019, 32,786 Miles - WiFi, In Car App,

v9.0 (32.2.2 da05838) 17 Sept 2019, 32,786 Miles - WiFi, In Car App,

v9.0 (28.3.1 f9e95acd) 26 Aug 2019, 32,661 Miles - WiFi, In Car App,

Is this being discussed in the MS/MX/M3 forums?

I haven't seen anything on this type issue on the roadster forum (at least not recently) but the number of roadsters is far smaller than any of the others.

Let's keep this thread focused on ROADSTERs... :)

Is this being discussed in the MS/MX/M3 forums?

I haven't seen anything on this type issue on the roadster forum (at least not recently) but the number of roadsters is far smaller than any of the others.

Let's keep this thread focused on ROADSTERs... :)

Yes, that was my focus, just on if the Roadster has any issues. There are less, but it's the age and re-writes of the memory that cause the failure. So if it's an issue, I expect some people would have experienced it.