Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the glass distortion still a problem for ‘24 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a Tesla, safety glass is more of a Safety Hazard. After a severe accident the pyro fuse blows, cutting off the electricity. The rear doors will not open from the outside or inside. The glass makes it almost impossible for occupants to break the glass to escape from a collision and fire, and much more difficult for the first helpers to get you out of the car.
For the cars that they switched to laminated rear door glass, they have added a manual release on the inside.

The Model 3 used to be the only model with no manual rear release, but for the Highland they added it:
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_us/GUID-A7A60DC7-E476-4A86-9C9C-10F4A276AB8B.html

The decision to use laminated glass weighs the safety advantage it provides in keeping the occupants inside the vehicle, external objects less likely to penetrate, and the glass being in a single piece and not in small pieces which might injure the occupants. Of course reducing road noise is a consideration also.

For the cars that they switched to laminated rear door glass, they have added a manual release on the inside. Actually, they added the manual "emergency" rear openers at least as far back as 2018, likely further back than that. Problem is, most owners, kids, and guests in the rear seat do not know about the emergency release location, or the fact that they can be trapped in the rear.

For the cars that they switched to laminated rear door glass, they have added a manual release on the inside.
Actually, they added the manual "emergency" rear openers at least as far back as 2018, likely further back than that. Problem is, most owners, kids, and guests in the rear seat do not know about the emergency release location, or the fact that they can be trapped in the rear.

Actually, they added the manual "emergency" rear openers at least as far back as 2018, likely further back than that. Problem is, most owners, kids, and guests in the rear seat do not know about the emergency release location, or the fact that they can be trapped in the rear.
I have a 2021 Model 3 and I very much do not have a rear manual release (yes I checked). It is for this reason that there are instructions on how to install one yourself:

You can check the manual for the 2017-2023 Model 3, there is no manual rear release:
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-EA692A77-9F5B-44C4-B291-444263199337.html

True, different models have different "features." At least one Tesla model (3?) also has the front doors not opening normally when power is cut.
AFAIK every Tesla has a manual interior front door release. The older Model S/X used a two stage release (same handle, pulling it further when there is no power releases the door).
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/...UID-AAD769C7-88A3-4695-987E-0E00025F64E0.html
The 2021+ Model S/X uses essentially the same design as Model 3/Y (a separate manual release in front of the window switches):
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/models/en_us/GUID-AAD769C7-88A3-4695-987E-0E00025F64E0.html
Both versions have always had manual rear releases (for S it is under the rear seats, for X it is behind the speaker grille).
This is the Model S forum, so what you are providing is not relevant to this forum.
I was speaking in general for Teslas for that statement, and in the statement I made originally, I pointed out explicitly it was the Model 3 missing the rear manual door release:
"The Model 3 used to be the only model with no manual rear release"

In a Tesla, safety glass is more of a Safety Hazard. After a severe accident the pyro fuse blows, cutting off the electricity. The rear doors will not open from the outside or inside. The glass makes it almost impossible for occupants to break the glass to escape from a collision and fire, and much more difficult for the first helpers to get you out of the car.
Ok, a few minunderstandings. If the Pryo fuse blows, the 16v battery is still connected and powers the doors and windows. So the low voltage electricity is not cut off, only the HV. All four doors have interior mechanical door releases, should all power be lost. You might want to consult the manual to see where these releases are, as the rear ones are not as visible as the front ones.

The side laminated safety glass is the same as many other luxury brands, such as Lexus, BMW, and Mercedies. The "safety" is that it doesn't shatter as easily as unlaminated glass, which reduces or eliminates glass shrapnal glass flying into the cabin - a good thing!

Ok, a few minunderstandings. If the Pryo fuse blows, the 16v battery is still connected and powers the doors and windows. So the low voltage electricity is not cut off, only the HV. All four doors have interior mechanical door releases, should all power be lost. You might want to consult the manual to see where these releases are, as the rear ones are not as visible as the front ones.

The side laminated safety glass is the same as many other luxury brands, such as Lexus, BMW, and Mercedies. The "safety" is that it doesn't shatter as easily as unlaminated glass, which reduces or eliminates glass shrapnal glass flying into the cabin - a good thing!

The rear doors of the Model S will not open using the handles in a severe crash. The inside and outside handles will not open the door. You must pull the cable attached to the door mechanism in the door frame to open the door. In the front and in most cars, the door mechanism is in the door itself and not in the door frame on the car body. There is no mechanical connection in the rear door to open the door if electric is not working. There have been a couple of crashes where the rear passenger(s) died because they did not know how to use the emergency cables pulls. I always instruct all new rear passengers how to open the doors in an emergency. I also have glass breakage tools, but these are less effective with laminated windows like the 2021+ S models.