TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is the Honda Clarity EV actually available anywhere?

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by Vinc, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Vinc

Vinc Member

Hi there!

I am looking for an inexpensive EV lease further down the road in case we need a second car in addition to the M3. The Honda Clarity EV looks very interesting, short range and all, at $199/month with very little down. The fun part is finding a dealer who wants to get you into one.

I have approached two different dealers. One told me that the last Clarity EV they got was over a year ago. There is a reservation list but it is not guaranteed that another car will ever arrive (the 2018 model is sold out and only 600 units will be produced of the 2019 one), the other Honda dealer did not officially say that the car is not available, but took my info and keeps contacting me to let me know that my Clarity Plug-in Hybrid (not what I want) is "available for you!".

All of this while I still see banners advertising the Clarity EV on this very page and others.

Anybody has any experience leasing a Clarity EV? I have seen them around, I know it can be done!

2. miimura

miimura Active Member

This is typical Honda compliance behavior that started with the Fit EV. When Honda first released the Fit EV, they came up with an initial lease price that was too high. There were few takers. Then they revamped it by dropping the price way down and included collision insurance. At that point it was too attractive and the waiting lists were out of control and unpredictable. IMHO, the Clarity EV lease price is too low given their supply. I don't understand why Honda does this. They could lose slightly less money by slowly adjusting the lease price to match the market and gradually find customers that are willing to pay the current price.

3. gregd

gregd Active Member

"Bait & Switch" tactic, perhaps? If they are advertising something that can't actually be purchased, I'd think that would apply.

4. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

You can get a used 2015 Leaf with similar range for well under $10k. They are a dime a dozen in CA.

5. Vinc

Vinc Member

Literally, on the top of the page as I am writing this, I have the banner advertising the Clarity EV. Yes, it is probably a mix of greenwashing, bad planning and bare minimum compliance.

The Leaf option is not a bad idea, although for a number of reasons leasing is a better alternative for me.

I will update if by any chance I end up getting my hands on this mythical vehicle...

6. Vinc

Vinc Member

Quick update. Just got a call from one of the Honda dealers. And, unlike the last 10 calls, it is not a new salesperson not knowing the difference between Clarity Hybrid and EV. Somebody might have actually found a Clarity EV in the back of the factory somewhere...

• Funny x 1
  7. Vinc

Vinc Member

Quick update to the update. These are the terms:

-They might be getting one Clarity EV a month. No option to pick color, you get what they have and you will like it.

-No reservations in advance. If you need the car a couple of months from now, you have to get lucky that they do get a car by then, and that they don't happen to lease it to somebody else. Don't call us, we will call you kind of attitude.

-No looking at the car beforehand. The cars only get delivered to the dealer once the buyer signs the papers. Which of course also means...

-No test-drives. You can only "test drive" the car if you are the buyer and have already provided the downpayment.

Sooo... Feel free to cut and paste the above when people complain about the reservation process for the Model 3.

8. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

It sounds like Honda is living in the Dark Ages... I wonder, do they still have one of these in the showroom?

[​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Is this how the "established car manufacturers" are going to beat out Tesla at the EV game?

10. miimura

miimura Active Member

They don't care about the "EV Game". They are playing a big picture money game. EVs are just a checkbox they have to deal with so they can keep selling the rest of their ICE cars.

• Like x 1