Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 on death row because of the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have to say I have never known anyone, friends, family, co-workers, who have ever towed anything.

I think the number of people who have towed, for example, a boat or a camper is pretty small, even among full size SUV owners.

But a few years ago I had a friend enlighten me on the value of utility trailers. They aren't that expensive, you can put a lot in them as long as the stuff isn't really heavy. Just about any sedan can pull a small trailer. If you have a place to store one, it's way more practical than getting a full size SUV.

I traded a BMW X5 in for the Model 3. We take a lot of 1500 mile and 3000+ mile round trips and always had the X5 cargo space and back seats packed to the brim so was a little worried. However, a long trip in March to our mountain home eased my concerns...we still were able to pack twice as much stuff into the Model 3 than we needed. I even bought a nice used Biria bicycle for my wife and was able to get it home in the trunk of the car (these aren’t small bicycles). Also found that I can carry 6’ dock boards in the model 3. Barely. So, so far don’t miss that problem ridden SUV at all.

the model y doesnt really offer any advantage for long thin items. It's basically when you get to the bulky item where they would fit in theory but the parcel shelf is in the way. Tbh I don't even know why The Model 3 has the bloody parcel shelf and sometimes I think it's just a job for the flex machine to cut a big square out in the middle of the car. it's clearly a deliberate choice and not really needed. Of course with most items you still strugge to get them in given that they have to either fit through the door or through the booth.

Model Y offers almost nothing for an much uglier design and more expensive. I saw one at a supercharger and was amazed by how bad it looked. I tow my boat often, and do projects around the house. It can’t do either, nor could the X. At least the X can fit a person in the third row. The Model 3 is the fun sports sedan, and my truck is for life.