Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 on death row because of the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the Model Y been very close in price, size, and performance with the Model 3,
with numerous improvement (Larger and more practical trunk, heat pump, lift gate, extruded rear floor, tow hitch, third row...)
what would be the real advantage of ordering a Model 3 versus getting a new Model Y,
especially when the Model Y SR+ will be available?

I haven’t sat in or driven a Y but I think the 3 will still be the drivers car out of Tesla’s lineup. Lower should mean better handling. It’s also lighter and faster with slightly more range.
I do think 3 sales will significantly decrease for the reasons you’ve mentioned. Perhaps they’ll make some updates to the 3 to bridge the gap on some of its deficiencies.

With the Model Y been very close in price, size, and performance with the Model 3,
with numerous improvement (Larger and more practical trunk, heat pump, lift gate, extruded rear floor, tow hitch, third row...)
what would be the real advantage of ordering a Model 3 versus getting a new Model Y,
Did the S die when the X was released? Don’t think so, in fact the S got a facelift to match the X’s look.

The 3 will be just fine.

No. The Model Y is a mommy car. I prefer a sports sedan. Now if they released a smaller & lighter version of the Model 3.... I'd be interested. It’s already a fairly big car, but people don’t realize that with the industry’s size creep.

2010taurusshoreview038.jpg

upload_2020-4-16_8-50-36.png

I really dislike the side windows (tinted rear/untinted front) of the Y, the cheap black trim and handles, and black wheels. It just looks ‘budget’ to me :) and then it’s bigger, so it loses some of the elegance AND performance... a more upright seating position... need I go on :D

It’s probably great for other people and I hope it brings Tesla mass sales/profits, but it’s just not the model for me - sorry!

-Alex

No. The Model Y is a mommy car. I prefer a sports sedan. Now if they released a smaller & lighter version of the Model 3.... I'd be interested. It’s already a fairly big car, but people don’t realize that with the industry’s size creep.

Same here - I would be interested in a smaller and lighter version of the Model 3 also. I'm not a SUV, CUV person.

Quicker, lighter, slightly more range, better handling, thousands cheaper comparably optioned.... lots of advantages.

We've already got a 2nd vehicle that's an SUV for the very few times we actually need to carry more than 4-5 people or need to move something that won't fit in the 3.

It's certainly possible whenever it's time to replace that it'd be replace with an EV, but I'd still much rather have the 3 as my daily driver.

I'm sorry, I just don't like the look from the outside.

I don't like the bubbled up look of the Y. I love it as a car....but don't like the look.

It looks like someone put a bomb in a model 3 and said.....yeah.....lets do that.

I love the sleeker look of the 3.