Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 on death row because of the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
....Model Y offers higher seating, more interior room for both people and storage, and that all important tow package.

Have to say I have never known anyone, friends, family, co-workers, who have ever towed anything. Not so sure how large of a buying segment that is. Surely it’s out there but think the liftgate is more a defining feature of the Y for the majority of families.

Reactions: house9 and Dolemite
Have to say I have never known anyone, friends, family, co-workers, who have ever towed anything. Not so sure how large of a buying segment that is. Surely it’s out there but think the liftgate is more a defining feature of the Y for the majority of families.
It is huge! Lots of people want a hitch. Some people just want light duty for bicycles or carry rack. It is similar to the thought process of needing a big battery vehicle for trips when most do it infrequently, or 4 wheel drive for off road when most do infrequently. We want our vehicles to be as versatile as possible to cover our whims...

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Of course the Y will outsell the 3 at some point. It's a crossover. It's a crowd pleaser. It even offers a touch of that green masochism, you know, not TOO elegant. It can likely become THE most popular car in the US, maybe the world. It's good for Tesla, and it's good for everybody's safety and the 'cology and all that. It's all good.

But for me, there's something irreplaceably sleek and elegant about a black Model 3.

It will probably pick up a few simple styling-oriented upgrades, and persist as the Daddy car, where the Y is the Mommy + The Kids car. And the Roadster as the Grandpa who made big bucks car. The CyberTruck as the crazy tattooed son (or daughter) car.

Last edited:
Reactions: drdumont
... and persist as the Daddy car, where the Y is the Mommy + The Kids car. And the Roadster as the Grandpa who made big bucks car. The CyberTruck as the crazy tattooed son (or daughter) car..

Gack you had me till this bit.

I've always preferred the smaller sporter cars and he likes to carry stuff about - not everything is so stereotypical ya know.

I want to be the Grandma that gets that Roadster!

subjective, but many wagons look good. and many hatches look good.

but the Y is neither a wagon nor a hatch. its one of these CUV things, which look bloated and bad.

re: Tow, not a big deal for the american market, but a big deal in the rest of the world, like all across europe. many households are single-vehicle households, and the ability to tow small trailers is an important feature. you'll often see vw golfs or even smaller cars drag goods on the interstate

Reactions: house9
I just don't see the big deal about the Y. Maybe its because I have no kids. I have literally nothing in my trunk right now and it's never been full. I've never folded down the back seats either. I've never had anyone say they were uncomfortable in the back seats. I know it can fit a whole bunch of suit cases I've seen the YouTube videos. But why would I do that? If I'm going to the airport I leave the car at home.

Someone can correct me but there is almost nothing borrowed from the 8C to get the 4C. Steel chassis vs carbon tub. Diff layout. Diff drivetrain.

The Tesla roadster is obviously a completely concept from the sedan, therefore different raison d'etre. But to build a coupe/roadster'ish vehicle on the model 3 sedan means removing half of the utility, for how much more incremental sales?

The 2dr variant of 4dr cars, that used to exist in past decades, have pretty much all been killed off.

You are absolutely correct... I meant only the styling was borrowed from the 8C to make a small sports car (4C). Likewise, I was meaning that Tesla could borrow the styling from their Roadster to produce a much-cheaper Roadster with the Model 3 platform. Less performance, but still plenty of performance for most people.

I’m sure there will be people out there only too keen to trade the utility of the Model 3 for the style of a sports car, just as there were people who paid double or more for Alfa Romeo’s 4C than for the Giulietta QV hatchback (these two having the same engine and similar performance). I’d hope that the Tesla version would at least not invoke much of a financial penalty, as materials and production would be a similar price :)

-Alex

I'm probably the minority here, but I would go for a Tesla style El Camino type truck. Below is an artist rendering from Motor Trend. I know I'm dreaming and realize it will never be built, but it suits my personal needs more than a Y.

Tesla-Roadster-Ute-1.jpg

Reactions: TomT
Lots of people want a hitch. Some people just want light duty for bicycles or carry rack.

Unfortunately in North America it seems the majority of superchargers are designed as back in and the supercharger cords are short. Talk about inconvenient if you have to take your bikes off the back and fold your rack so you can back in and super charge.

With the CyberTruck on the horizon I am really surprised new supercharger stations are still using this back in style, pull thru like at the gas station makes way more sense for vehicles that will be towing and using rear rack.

Add me to the list of people that dislike the station wagon look.

I actually decided to buy a model 3 after seeing the model Y. The Y reveal was a big disappointment for me.

I bought at the same time but mostly because I watched the whole reveal live and just bought into Elon’s vision. Especially when it was backed up by so many examples of the vision on stage with him...

Model 3 backs up that buy in every time I drive it. Best purchase ever. Model Y and Model S don’t move the needle for me. Model X is the closest thing to a Fabergé egg that I could own and it is awesome. Cybertruck is going to be amazing.

Fanboy out!

...coo-pay

Someone has been
watching too much Top Gear

...pull thru like at the gas station makes way more sense for vehicles that will be towing and using rear rack.

The reason you will not see this (or very little of it) is the cost of real estate. It simply takes more surface area (almost double) to design for this
and I don't see this happening any time soon.

The reason you will not see this (or very little of it) is the cost of real estate. It simply takes more surface area (almost double) to design for this and I don't see this happening any time soon.

On the contrary Tesla has said they'll be doing A LOT of this for future SC stations- specifically because the cybertruck will need to be able to supercharge withing having to go leave the trailer somewhere else to do it.

How Tesla is Targeting Electric Pickup Range Anxiety With the Cybertruck - MotorTrend
The plan is to build Cybertruck-friendly pull-through chargers, which will minimize the headache of charging with a trailer

I traded a BMW X5 in for the Model 3. We take a lot of 1500 mile and 3000+ mile round trips and always had the X5 cargo space and back seats packed to the brim so was a little worried. However, a long trip in March to our mountain home eased my concerns...we still were able to pack twice as much stuff into the Model 3 than we needed. I even bought a nice used Biria bicycle for my wife and was able to get it home in the trunk of the car (these aren’t small bicycles). Also found that I can carry 6’ dock boards in the model 3. Barely. So, so far don’t miss that problem ridden SUV at all.

Reactions: AhwatukeeDad