Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 your most expensive car?

Model 3 the most expensive car you will buy?

• Yes

Votes: 279 65.5%
  • Yes, but barely

Votes: 21 4.9%
  • No, but barely

Votes: 12 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 114 26.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the time comes to order/purchase, it will be my most expensive vehicle by
tenor.gif

If I were to purchase just the $35,000 base model, it would cost around $33,500 more than my most expensive vehicle purchase to date (not including delivery fees, sales tax, other fees, etc). I don't remember the exact price of all of my previous vehicle purchases, but I believe the 3 of them add up to less than $3,500.

But as of now I'm looking to purchase the $50k model, so it'd be more like $48,500 more than my previously most expensive car.

tenor.gif

Damn I just looked up the numbers.. So my Model 3 is costing $59,000 - wheels being the only option I didn't go for.

In my history - going backwards: In '06 an '02 Camry ($12K); In '98, a '94 Intrepid ($6K); In '90, an '89 Olds Toronado Trofeo ($20K), In 85, an '85 Chrysler Laxer XT Turbo ($15); In '81, an '81 Dodge Omni O24 Miser ($5500)

So this car is costing more than the last 5 cars I've bought for myself dating back 37 years!

Damn I just looked up the numbers.. So my Model 3 is costing $59,000 - wheels being the only option I didn't go for.

In my history - going backwards: In '06 an '02 Camry ($12K); In '98, a '94 Intrepid ($6K); In '90, an '89 Olds Toronado Trofeo ($20K), In 85, an '85 Chrysler Laxer XT Turbo ($15); In '81, an '81 Dodge Omni O24 Miser ($5500)

So this car is costing more than the last 5 cars I've bought for myself dating back 37 years!
$20k in 1990 is equivalent to $39k in today's dollars. So really, just 50% more. If that makes you feel any better. :)

I bought a 2003 Nissan 350Z for ~$35k in 2003. So inflation adjusted, that is $47k. I'll be spending $59k, assuming $5k for AWD.

Ended up changing my vote from "Yes" to "No". Just paid almost $1600 to replace the O2 sensors in my E46 since it failed the smog check last week. Coupled with all of the other service trips made over the last 16 years or so, not to mention the gas I've used, I think I've easily paid the price of the car again. Of course it's unknown at this time how much the Tesla will end up costing me in the future, but with no gas, no smog check, no oil changes or leaks to pin down, no clutch replacements (okay, that one may not count as the BMW is still on the original), that's several sources of cost that will not translate to the Model 3. What will translate is the similar cost of factory labor charges as a BMW if/when service is needed, or so I gather from reading some of these threads.

Side note: Was given a brand new (41 miles on it!) X2 xDrive28i as a loaner while my car was in the shop for four days. If I didn't have a waiting order for the Model 3, I'd seriously consider getting the X2 despite the negative/differences. Handled real nice; a little bit more leaning in the corners than the Model 3, but it obviously doesn't have the acceleration as the Tesla (has a 2 liter turbo). Similar view out the back window (narrow), Ginormous amount of buttons, dials and knobs everywhere. Back seat was much more comfortable than the Tesla, especially in the area of thigh support. Front seats were 10-way adjustable and fit me like a glove. LED headlights were about the same as I remember with the Model 3 rental I drove a couple of months ago; which is to say, great. But with the upcoming news next week about AWD, I'm glad that I waited.

Transportation is four different things.

1) A status symbol. Fashion, brand, or Green, something to prove. I'm better than you.
2) A mathematical choice. The best tool for the job.
3) Enjoyment. A toy to have fun with.
4) Investment, Bought to make a profit.

I'm a number 3 guy.
I don't give a sheet what folk think of me.
I do place a high weight on what on what will get the job done, but that's virtually anything.
I love driving. If I can enjoy a car, I can put up with a lot of hassle.
I don't buy jewelry to drive,

Reactions: karmamule
Obviously we should exclude our Model S or X purchases if we bought them new. In 2010 I struggled with purchasing a used Lexus for $13,000. Psychologically, not financially. I had set out to find one for around $8,000 but I had to spend a bit more to get stability control. Now after buying my S and having $1,000 payments for six years I find it odd that I gave my Lexus purchase so much concern. I have a first day M3 reservation, but my guess is I'll stick with my S. Hopefully I can talk my wife into getting a standard range base M3 when it becomes available. Funny how that looks like the deal of the century now.

I put NO as my 2008 Roadster set me back $75K, but aside from that then YES by a significant margin.

Obviously we should exclude our Model S or X purchases if we bought them new.

Excluding cars I paid more expensive than the Model 3, then yes, this is the most expensive car I am buying (otherwise, no) :)

This is actually more than I've spent on all my four previous cars combined. However, counting the gas savings, tax credit, lack of maintenance and such, if the car lasts me eight years or more, it will cost me less than my current car.