Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Model 3 your most expensive car?

Model 3 the most expensive car you will buy?

• Yes

Votes: 279 65.5%
  • Yes, but barely

Votes: 21 4.9%
  • No, but barely

Votes: 12 2.8%
  • No

Votes: 114 26.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Model 3 will be my the very first new car I will purchase, but the second most expensive overall. Most recent vehicle purchase (wifey's luxury tank) was about $69k, my most recent vehicle (Prius) purchased way below market from a family member, before that I had a used Silverado (about $11k), a used Jeep Wrangler (about $9k and actual made a profit on it when I sold it a year later) and a used Infiniti (about $5k).

Yes it will be over DOUBLE the price of any other car I've ever bought. I make decent money, but I buy slightly used cars, drive them for 10 years, then sell them before repairs get real expensive. It's a great way to save money. Buying new cars is for suckers... UNLESS there is a large expiring tax refund on them. The full federal tax credit plus my state rebate (total 10k) is the only thing that could make me buy a new car, since it makes it significantly less financially stupid.

Calling BS on the poll since most cars built so far were sold to Model S/X owners. There has only been about 15,000 sold in the US out of perhaps 300,000 reservations.

Yes, the poll is probably skewed with a high percentage of S & X owner but I don't think the poll is limited to current owners. Anyone who is planning on buying the 3 can answer - they don't have to have the car in possession already.

Our Model X90D from 2016 was about twice as expensive, with less range. Still our preferred vacation mobile because of all wheel drive, more luggage space and seats, and 250 mile range actually being good enough thanks to supercharging network in california.

I am still dying to take the Model 3 on a road trip though to feel the additional range.

I am also still floored that basically the Model 3 is half the cost of a Model S for about the same range and features. Amazing achievement really.

Our Model X90D from 2016 was about twice as expensive, with less range. Still our preferred vacation mobile because of all wheel drive, more luggage space and seats, and 250 mile range actually being good enough thanks to supercharging network in california.

I am still dying to take the Model 3 on a road trip though to feel the additional range.

I am also still floored that basically the Model 3 is half the cost of a Model S for about the same range and features. Amazing achievement really.

No kidding. And the S looks dated on the interior compared to the 3. Amazing achievement by Tesla for sure.

More than all 2 brand new cars + 3 year lease on a Chevy volt COMBINED

Altima Hybrid (new)
Scion FRS (new)
Chevy volt (lease)

The one thing a bit annoying is co workers asking me “so how much did you spend?”... well I am a senior engineer and I spent more than anybody else on a car (CTO, Vice Presidents etc)

Sometimes I have no idea what people do with their money to be honest.

This will be my family's most expensive car, either by a little or a lot (depending on LR vs SR and tax credit).

My wife is still driving her 2011 Ford Edge we picked up in 2012 that came in around $38K (0% financing, $2K+taxes down, $600/mo)
I ordered a 2015 Wrangler for ~$33K a couple years back but totaled it Dec '16 and have been driving a used '06 F150 since then. Can't wait to get away from the 14 mpg on my 65 mile r/t commute.

I waited in line to put my reservation down in Northern VA. As a non-owner I received my invitation but find it hard to order the long range at $56K. The real decision is going to come in July when we find out if/when the 200,000th delivery occurred. If there is a chance I can get a Short Range delivered in Q4 with the full tax credit then I have no hesitation. If not I'll have to decide if this is the right time to jump on the electric train.....

This will be my family's most expensive car, either by a little or a lot (depending on LR vs SR and tax credit).

My wife is still driving her 2011 Ford Edge we picked up in 2012 that came in around $38K (0% financing, $2K+taxes down, $600/mo)
I ordered a 2015 Wrangler for ~$33K a couple years back but totaled it Dec '16 and have been driving a used '06 F150 since then. Can't wait to get away from the 14 mpg on my 65 mile r/t commute.

I waited in line to put my reservation down in Northern VA. As a non-owner I received my invitation but find it hard to order the long range at $56K. The real decision is going to come in July when we find out if/when the 200,000th delivery occurred. If there is a chance I can get a Short Range delivered in Q4 with the full tax credit then I have no hesitation. If not I'll have to decide if this is the right time to jump on the electric train.....
I would expect Tesla to ride out the LR version as long as they can, simply for them to become profitable. Hopefully they do start with SR later this year, but I'd have to believe Tesla will keep selling LR's as long as they possibly can to maximize profits.

Most expensive car before my Model3 was my new 2012 Nissan Leaf SL for which I paid MSRP (~$37,000). I’m expecting my Model3 VIN in the next day or so (been waiting 3.5 weeks for it).
Same here - except I got the 2011 Leaf SL-e (got a discount) and I leased. So, it didn't feel it was expensive or otherwise.

My current bill of $53.5k after taxes etc puts it about $20k more than Leaf.