Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the nag now 15 seconds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read in electrik that the nag is now 15 seconds with the latest update. Called my service center to see if I can stop the install, ( I have it set up for 9:30 pm central time). They say nope, it is already downloaded and waiting to install.
A15 second nag interval is intolerable. Now AP1 is nothing more than a gimmick to me.
It depends on how lightly you hold onto the steering wheel.

Torque from the steering wheel is used to detect if hands are on the wheel, with hands at 10 and 2 they will be fairly balanced and therefor not reliably detected. One hand sitting on the wheel is typically enough to be detected and keep the nags at bay. I usually find resting a hand at the bottom of the wheel or on one of the spokes is a good compromise. Bummer if the nags have been increased again though, just got the latest update on my AP1 car but haven't been able to confirm the change to the timeout yet.

Torque from the steering wheel is used to detect if hands are on the wheel, with hands at 10 and 2 they will be fairly balanced and therefor not reliably detected. One hand sitting on the wheel is typically enough to be detected and keep the nags at bay. I usually find resting a hand at the bottom of the wheel or on one of the spokes is a good compromise. Bummer if the nags have been increased again though, just got the latest update on my AP1 car but haven't been able to confirm the change to the timeout yet.

Well that's great, since two hands on the wheel allows for better response when taking over...

Reactions: jrad6515
I don't think the interval is actually 15 seconds. It does seem when you first enable Autopilot if you immediately remove your hands from the wheel it will nag in about 15 seconds, but the subsequent nags revert to their normal intervals (longer if going straight and more often in the road is curvy).

Reactions: scottf200
The nag is getting annoying for sure, it seems to be happening way more often. Of course, I realize I am supposed to keep my hands on the wheel so should I really be complaining?

The scary part of all this stuff is the stories I've heard from folks who go to do a TESLA test drive and have the sales person tell them "go ahead and take your hands off the wheel" like they are showing off the feature in a way that it is absolutely not supposed to be used. Why oh why didn't they call this thing COPILOT instead of AUTOPILOT???

It's 20 seconds, I just measured it. I got SEVEN nags in less than 3 minutes. WTF. I am hoping to appeal to Elon's common sense on Twitter on this subject. Maybe a better compromise is a ratcheting system.... As long as you respond quickly to prove your attentiveness, then let the system ratchet back, over time, to what it used to be. If you have even one slow response, it resets to the current ultranag state....