Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the newly refreshed model x available for test drive at tesla sale center?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wife is consider tesla model x but not sure about the yolk steering wheel. Is the new x available for test drive?

I won't be surprised if there's none. It would rather sell it to the long line of waiting customers than put it to the good use of a test drive. If you are lucky, there might be some orphaned cars that are rejected for some kind of defects and could be put to use as demo cars.

If you don't like the yoke, a third party offers a replacement for $2,299 online.

Reactions: coolmanfever
No Refresh Model X have shipped to Canada yet but they are expected in a few weeks. They will be going to customers that have waited a long time for them so I would not expect one in a store for a while.

I would contact the Toronto store and ask if they have a Refresh Model S. It won't have the SUV seating position but it will have the yoke so she can check it out. If not, there is a Canada forum here, you could start a thread there and maybe someone would be willing to let you sit in theirs: Canada

I hate the yoke and have ordered this replacement wheel:

I like it better than the one linked by @Tam and it is cheaper.

I was very wary of the yoke until we got our new X with the yoke. We have only had it for a few days, and I have driven less than 100 miles. But I am feeling more and more comfortable with it. And I really like the way it is easier to see the navigation, audio, speed, and what every else you select to display on the driver side binnacle display. With the conventional steering wheel on our last X this information was always a bit obscured.

For me, more of a consideration is the lack of the reverse/forward shift level. You know swipe up to go forward and back for reverse on the screen, use the P-R-N-D touch controls at the bottom of the phone charger, or enable the automated decide direction feature.

One feature I love is the new 17" horizontal display. It is big, bright, and high resolution. And since the speed, traffic monitor, etc. is on the driver binnacle display, less crowded than in the Y and 3.

Reactions: laceyboy
No Refresh Model X have shipped to Canada yet but they are expected in a few weeks. They will be going to customers that have waited a long time for them so I would not expect one in a store for a while.

I would contact the Toronto store and ask if they have a Refresh Model S. It won't have the SUV seating position but it will have the yoke so she can check it out. If not, there is a Canada forum here, you could start a thread there and maybe someone would be willing to let you sit in theirs: Canada

I hate the yoke and have ordered this replacement wheel:

I like it better than the one linked by @Tam and it is cheaper.
thanks for the info. I actually contacted all Greater Toronto Tesla sales center to test drive model S 's yolk. No new model S is avaiable here for test drive. We plan to visit Las Vegas in a week for vacation so was hoping to get to test drive the yolk steering on model S or model X. But I Guess turo is the way to go.

In preparation for delivery of my new X I went to our local service center to see if they had one I could at least sit in, much less drive. I was told they did not. Every X being made is spoken for by a reservation holder and there is a long line of folks waiting for theirs - so Tesla wants to get every X made into the hands of its reservation holders. It seems they don't need to encourage new orders by offering test drives. It's lousy customer/future customer relations in my opinion, but does Tesla really care about what its customers think?

Reactions: mohanman
In preparation for delivery of my new X I went to our local service center to see if they had one I could at least sit in, much less drive. I was told they did not. Every X being made is spoken for by a reservation holder and there is a long line of folks waiting for theirs - so Tesla wants to get every X made into the hands of its reservation holders. It seems they don't need to encourage new orders by offering test drives. It's lousy customer/future customer relations in my opinion, but does Tesla really care about what its customers think?
Ever car they put into a test drive pool means another person has to wait longer to get the car they ordered. With all the demand for the X why do that? When the demand drops off, they will have a X to test drive. Same thing happened with the 3 and Y.

My local Tesla store (Walnut Creek, CA) had a Model X (LR, 7 seat) for display, as of mid-November. Not available for test-drives, but you could sit in it. I was ditzing around with the second-row seats and ended up talking to a prospective customer about the differences between the various seat configurations.

Walnut Creek is not a large store location, but they managed to fit the entire S3XY line-up there.

Bruce.

My local Tesla store (Walnut Creek, CA) had a Model X (LR, 7 seat) for display, as of mid-November. Not available for test-drives, but you could sit in it. I was ditzing around with the second-row seats and ended up talking to a prospective customer about the differences between the various seat configurations.

Walnut Creek is not a large store location, but they managed to fit the entire S3XY line-up there.

Bruce.
I think this makes sense for Walnut Creek. At least when I visited it was a showroom only location, as in no SC. Also, they used to have test drives there IRC. They had some cars parked in the garage by the store.

Dublin used to be both a showroom and SC, but dropped the showroom part as the fleet size has grown. They used to make arrangements for test drives and bring in a car. They did that for me to try a Y. After the test drive I ordered another X.;)

I think this makes sense for Walnut Creek. At least when I visited it was a showroom only location, as in no SC. Also, they used to have test drives there IRC. They had some cars parked in the garage by the store.

Dublin used to be both a showroom and SC, but dropped the showroom part as the fleet size has grown. They used to make arrangements for test drives and bring in a car. They did that for me to try a Y. After the test drive I ordered another X.;)

Walnut Creek still offers test drives, as of when I was there. 3, Y, and S, but (getting back to the original topic) no X.

So that reminds me...OP you could try getting a test drive of a current Model S. It's going to have basically the same controls.

EDIT: Er, nevermind, someone already suggested that.

Bruce.