Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Work in progress: stalks on 2021 Model S. (and optional round-y wheel)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to consolidate the info here when I have more time, but finally got it all assembled last night. My notes are on the github link but reposting here for simplicity:

Why?​

The yoke is .. fine .. but I do not like the haptic controls at all. I've driven @ 5k miles, and they just aren't good. I decided to fix it for myself, and will share my work.

The Plaid uses a lot of the parts bin from the Model 3/Y, and that's a great thing! The electrical architecture of the Plaid is basically just that of an oversized Model 3, which is a smart move for manufacturing simplification.

Notes​

• The left stalk (signals/brights/wipers) is fully functional. The other side is a work in progress, but I've validated I can change gear via software, so I just need to wire everything up.
  • You cannot just put a Model 3 or Y clockspring/SCCM into a Plaid and make it work. The refresh S ignores the CAN messages from this, and more importantly the car refuses to go into drive with an SCCM running firmware it doesn't like.
  • The stalk modules can be removed and fit perfectly into the Plaid SCCM because it is literally the same part number as the 3/Y SCCM. You cannot just plug the ribbon cables in, however, since the Plaid's firmware doesn't try to report on the stalks, so they'll just look pretty without doing anything.
  • I wrote custom firmware that uses a Particle Photon + Carloop device to send messages that the plaid expects. This took a bit of reverse engineering and I'll post the info to the github link as time allows. I will not directly help anyone who wants to do this, but I wish you luck. It should be relatively easy once I work out the remaining kinks.
  • This change is entirely reversible, and no stock hardware is permanently modified. The shrouds with cutouts for stalks are directly out of a Model 3, and the Plaid shrouds are untouched.

fixedit.jpg

Last edited:
This is awesome. Thank you for doing the hard work. I am interested in these mods, mostly for gear selection. I wish we could move the horn to the correct place, but that would take an entire new wheel. I played with a refresh a few weeks ago, and think the turn signals are easy, and likely easier with the latest software update. My only concern is what happens when there is a software update, as there just was. Do the original controls still work as intended?

This is awesome. Thank you for doing the hard work. I am interested in these mods, mostly for gear selection. I wish we could move the horn to the correct place, but that would take an entire new wheel. I played with a refresh a few weeks ago, and think the turn signals are easy, and likely easier with the latest software update. My only concern is what happens when there is a software update, as there just was. Do the original controls still work as intended?
This doesn't change anything about the stock controls. I plan to make it possible to change what the haptic buttons do, but worst case you'll just have to unplug something to restore stock functionality.

Reactions: 4SUPER9
I'm going to consolidate the info here when I have more time, but finally got it all assembled last night. My notes are on the github link but reposting here for simplicity:

Why?​

The yoke is .. fine .. but I do not like the haptic controls at all. I've driven @ 5k miles, and they just aren't good. I decided to fix it for myself, and will share my work.

The Plaid uses a lot of the parts bin from the Model 3/Y, and that's a great thing! The electrical architecture of the Plaid is basically just that of an oversized Model 3, which is a smart move for manufacturing simplification.

Notes​

• The left stalk (signals/brights/wipers) is fully functional. The other side is a work in progress, but I've validated I can change gear via software, so I just need to wire everything up.
  • You cannot just put a Model 3 or Y clockspring/SCCM into a Plaid and make it work. The refresh S ignores the CAN messages from this, and more importantly the car refuses to go into drive with an SCCM running firmware it doesn't like.
  • The stalk modules can be removed and fit perfectly into the Plaid SCCM because it is literally the same part number as the 3/Y SCCM. You cannot just plug the ribbon cables in, however, since the Plaid's firmware doesn't try to report on the stalks, so they'll just look pretty without doing anything.
  • I wrote custom firmware that uses a Particle Photon + Carloop device to send messages that the plaid expects. This took a bit of reverse engineering and I'll post the info to the github link as time allows. I will not directly help anyone who wants to do this, but I wish you luck. It should be relatively easy once I work out the remaining kinks.
  • This change is entirely reversible, and no stock hardware is permanently modified. The shrouds with cutouts for stalks are directly out of a Model 3, and the Plaid shrouds are untouched.

View attachment 719220
Holy cow! You actually mucked around with hardware, firmware and CAN bus analysis?
Respect. From a hardware design engineer. 👍🙂

I hope Elon is reading these messages. I’d love for a traditional steering wheel with stalks as an option.

I so badly want to stay with Tesla for my next car purchase. 😌

Ditto Redshift . . . "Holy Cow! ......Respect"
I'm sooo glad there is know-how/skill out there that can/will pioneer such customization.

Just the same, I keep getting an image in my head of a bygone diehard installing a saddle and reins on their Model T.
;)
Certainly no disrespect, and to each his own.

Reactions: GSP
Ditto Redshift . . . "Holy Cow! ......Respect"
I'm sooo glad there is know-how/skill out there that can/will pioneer such customization.

Just the same, I keep getting an image in my head of a bygone diehard installing a saddle and reins on their Model T.
;)
Certainly no disrespect, and to each his own.
Perhaps an apt analogy, if Ford had decided that seats were ugly and had removed them from their cars to get that hawt ultra-minimalist vibe.

This morning, I'll finally get a chance to try the drive selector stalk! I hope to provide a more meaningful update to the github repo this week as well, so that people can start DIYing to their hearts' content.

Some people on twitter are very very cross with me for "ruining" my car and its perfect aesthetics with stalks. Meanwhile, this is approximately what it looks like from the pilot's chair...

IMG_4208.jpg

Stalker!!!
I love it. No reason for Musk to remove them. Aesthetically, it looks like it was made to work this way.
Question: once this project is completely set up, how long of a process do you think it would be to reverse it, and then re-install? Say, I have an issue with my car and need service, and I don't want them to see it.

Reactions: AMPd and MitchMitch
Stalker!!!
I love it. No reason for Musk to remove them. Aesthetically, it looks like it was made to work this way.
Question: once this project is completely set up, how long of a process do you think it would be to reverse it, and then re-install? Say, I have an issue with my car and need service, and I don't want them to see it.
I think it would take about ten minutes, but you will need to remove the airbag (which just pops out) and the yoke itself (one large center bolt)

Tbh I’m going to take it in with the mod, and have strong doubts that they will even attempt to blame any warranty issues on it. And if they do, I wish them luck proving it.

I think it would take about ten minutes, but you will need to remove the airbag (which just pops out) and the yoke itself (one large center bolt)

Tbh I’m going to take it in with the mod, and have strong doubts that they will even attempt to blame any warranty issues on it. And if they do, I wish them luck proving it.
RIght. I guess it depends on the issue. If it is a taillight issue, they certainly cannot. If it is software/UI issue, maybe.
10 minutes? I am doing this.

• Funny
Reactions: McQ14