Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the performance to "easy" to get yourself in trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven slow cars my entire life, but decided that after my Honda Fit I would get a fast car. Before getting my P3D, I didn't quite believe it when people said that it's more power than anyone would need for commuting. But they're right, no one needs this level of performance for commuting. In fact, I'd consider it dangerous since the car zips around far quicker than people would expect. It's fast enough that I expect people to misjudge the acceleration of my P3D and accidentally cut me off.

The power combined with how beautiful the car looks has actually made me a more cautious driver. I leave a ton of room in front of me now, and am generally pretty careful when making lane changes. But to answer OP's question, yes, it's easy to get yourself into trouble, and if you're a crazy driver, it's probably easy to get yourself and others hurt too.

Still, I have no regrets getting the performance edition :)

Yeah, I've been thinking about that case a lot (that some ICE vehicle thinks they have time to get in front of you in an EV). For example when they are say pulling out of driveway (in there ICE vehicle) and they judge, thinking, well you can't get there that fast (not knowing the you are in an EV). They pull out and boom, you're on his butt (or worse). We've all misjudged now and then (ICE to ICE) and say oh sh$t maybe I shouldn't have pulled out (after a couple honks and flashed lights), I'll do better next time. But with an EV (or a Performance Tesla) that "calibration" you've developed over your carrier of driving is thrown completely off.

That's great that you feel you have adjusted for the other guy.

So could an EV have pulled out quick enough in front of another EV to keep it safe ;)

I have never owned a performance car and somewhat have purposely avoided it. I think my Jeep is 0-60 in 14 seconds or some such. Don't get me wrong I love acceleration as much as anyone. FYI, I owned a dodge charger 440 when I was like 17 and did some stupid things with it.

My wife and I are both concerned I might "screw up". To err is to be human. I've not had a speeding ticket in 20 years. Couple warnings (slow back roads).

After you have been driving any car for a while you instinctively learn it's limitations and it becomes an extension of you.

And with the addition of electric it doesn't give as much feedback as an ICE vehicle that, you know you are really pushing it and telling everyone else while your at it, that you are pushing it when the ICE screams through it's nostrils that you are coming.

Here is a simple example. Say your on this 2 lane highway and your trying to pass a truck that you've been stuck behind.
The dashed lines open up but there is a car coming the other way. So you wait. The car passes and the dash lines are about to go solid, but you think you still have time (with the P). You this car is quick, do you know go for it, where in your past cars you never would? Will you know, when you really shouldn't?

Will you naturally push the acceleration odds? Will you tend to drive faster (or accelerate faster) without the rumbling feedback reminder nag.

I'm just curious if anyone else contemplating the Performance has considered this and for anyone who has and got the car (or any under 4.0s 0-60 Tesla), how is it going?

One curious question I have also, do you feel you can drive it "normal" as the Non-P (or ICE for that matter). That is, does it constantly remind you it wants to get up and go? Or does the P only show itself when you really push it or you need to put in some performance mode. I know about chill mode.

Because the reasons above I have NOT test driven one yet. I have a feeling I WILL want it, have to have it. It's kind of like drugs after that first high your in trouble ;)

"Chill" mode is your friend.

Reactions: pnd4pnd
Much safer for passing on two-lane highways. Reduces time and distance spent in opposing traffic lane. Not by a little, by a lot.

...the car zips around far quicker than people would expect.

The "P" makes passing safely an absolute breeze.

Step 1: Decide you want to pass
Step 2: Signal and push GO pedal.
Step 3: Blink eyes once.
Step 4: You're now past. Time to merge back in, waaayyy ahead of the car you've just gone past.

You also learn that other cars simply don't expect you to be able to accelerate so quickly, and you drive more defensively as a result.

The biggest problem I've had is that sometimes it gets me to places before my brain was expecting it, so it makes me feel a little out of control. My brain is getting used to the speed for the most part now. The traction & stability control are excellent and as long as you keep your wits about you and keep it pointed the right direction, it's OK.

If it's too fast for you, just start out slow (the throttle is not an off/on switch) and build confidence and add speed as you get comfortable.

If you really don't want a performance car, stick with the AWD or RWD, (depending on your climate) they are less aggressive at launching, but still very quick cars.

Update. Got the P3D- took all of 12 days from config to delivery. No white seats. VIN in 103xxx range. Got 242 whm for 120 mile trip at 65mph.

Chill mode is great. I’ve yet to take it out of Chill mode after 190 miles.

The over speed thing is useless.

Problem is, it can act as a overspeed warning, but it’s also double duty the default target for cruise control / auto pilot.

Why would I want a speed “warning” at the same speed I target? These should be separate settings.

If it was separate I’d set autopilot default target to be say 5 over PSL. And set warning of say 12 mph over PSL.

I don’t believe I can currently do that?

Update. Got the P3D- took all of 12 days from config to delivery. No white seats. VIN in 103xxx range. Got 242 whm for 120 mile trip at 65mph.

Chill mode is great. I’ve yet to take it out of Chill mode after 190 miles.

The over speed thing is useless.

Problem is, it can act as a overspeed warning, but it’s also double duty the default target for cruise control / auto pilot.

Why would I want a speed “warning” at the same speed I target? These should be separate settings.

If it was separate I’d set autopilot default target to be say 5 over PSL. And set warning of say 12 mph over PSL.

I don’t believe I can currently do that?

Wut? Please return to the forum after you take it out of chill mode and stomp on the accelerator. We will appropriately congratulate you at that time.;)

I would argue the P3D (or any Tesla) is the best way to have fun without getting into trouble.

It pulls so hard off the line, the 0-45 is really the most fun. So you can essentially floor it up to the speed limit with a massive grin on your face.

In any ICE car, by the time the tires actually hook up, you're already doing 45, so you don't get that "g-force" feeling until you're doing 60+. So people tend to floor it for much longer, staying in "trouble" territory for longer.

I took it out of chill once. To verify I had it and to show my wife.

Wife screamed holy sh$t and the two small dogs tripped the seatbelt alarms in the back seat. Oops. It will normally stay in chill mode. It’s plenty fast for normal driving in chill mode. Any faster is not required to drive any safer or to enjoy the car.

I got performance for free superchargering and to get the car quicker. It worked. I got the exact car I wanted in 14 days (ordered a couple days before free supercharger expired), non owner, non reserve from config to delivered. If I could have done the same without performance option I would have.

Yes, it’s fun, it’s cool. But it will teach me to drive worse with to easy an access to that much power. I can see my friend is already driving more aggressive with his RWD to the point that it made the passenger uncomfortable (me).

I can drive aggressive when I want to and occasionally do. But I’ve learned to “chill” 99% of the time. Even when nobody is around and safe conditions. It will eat tires and range.

We’ll see how long it stays in chill.