Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is the Server for the Tesla mobile app down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The app is still not working for me. It continues to try to load with the spinning circle but never does. Should I log out and back in at this point?

My app was still doing the same this morning, trying to connect to the car. But then (after my wife drove away in the Model 3, using her phone key without problems) my app started working again on its own without any reinstalling or logging out.

My suggestion: go and start the car either with the phone key, or with the card. See if the app will start working after that.

My app was still doing the same this morning, trying to connect to the car. But then (after my wife drove away in the Model 3, using her phone key without problems) my app started working again on its own without any reinstalling or logging out.

My suggestion: go and start the car either with the phone key, or with the card. See if the app will start working after that.

I did start the car with the phone key this morning but the app still doesn't load. Some people said logging out and back in fixed it but others said not to log out so not sure what to do.

We don't know what actually happened - I doubt highly that it was "maintainance", I'm pretty sure they have some kind of backup plan for when that would happen. I would more suspect it was just some kind of dumb technical glitch, like a power failure, or possibly some variation of a hacker attack.
this isn't how computer infrastructure works. unless there was a network glitch (sudden loss of connectivity), some sort of ddos attack (rare, preventable), or an idiot hourly hit the power switch (again, preventable), most of these issues can be circumvented with proper failover architecture, high availability servers and an adequate notification process.

to me, having the app fail because the API is unavailable is unacceptable. the vehicle should still connect to the phone, regardless if it can communicate with the mothership. having connectivity over-the-air should be second to access to your vehicle.

• Disagree
Reactions: sduck
I did start the car with the phone key this morning but the app still doesn't load. Some people said logging out and back in fixed it but others said not to log out so not sure what to do.
everything i've read so far is to log out of the app and back in. i cleared my data (android) and reloaded the app. this caused me to re-key my phone, but the app is working for me.

If I log out and back in do I have to re-key the phone or will it still be linked?
I just went to my garage, walked up to my 3 and pressed the door handle, it opened and the car came on. So the app was still linked to my 3.

That was about 10 minutes after logging out/in of my app. So the app was still running in the background on my iPhone.

Yup. No good answer. If the servers are down you will be unable to log back in and Bluetooth key will be disabled.

I would only suggest logout/login if you have the key card in hand.

mine was also spinning this morning. It was set to my S. It also wouldn’t let me swipe to my 3. I clicked the gear, selected my 3 (stumbled on it, didn’t know that option was there in the gear menu). The 3 loaded and then I was able to select back to the S and it worked too.

I guess the solution is to buy a second Tesla.

Drove this morning for coffee. No app availability since last night and not now either. I’ve seen some people have been reporting their app back up, thinking its a slow area by area processing bringing them back up. West coast here still waiting.

Ok — update after reading above few posts and trying the Settings “Gear” (we have two Teslas and I was unable to swipe to the second car this a.m. thru the App). Went to settings. Interestingly it only showed my car but as soon as the window came up the car went active. Going back to main App screen — everything up and running and available. Even if you Don’t have another car I’d try going to your Settings screen and see if it refreshes your app to a working state.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
Yup. No good answer. If the servers are down you will be unable to log back in and Bluetooth key will be disabled.

mine was also spinning this morning. It was set to my S. It also wouldn’t let me swipe to my 3. I clicked the gear, selected my 3 (stumbled on it, didn’t know that option was there in the gear menu). The 3 loaded and then I was able to select back to the S and it worked too.

I guess the solution is to buy a second Tesla.

Both the FOB and bluetooth connections remained functional. Also keycards will continue to work. Keep at least one version of each and you will be perfectly fine in another such outage.

I observed when the issue was occurring the mobile app would display in the gear menu switch to model 3 or switch to model s, instead of the cars name like it usually does when logged in, another indication that the access token was broken.

Last edited:
Drove to work this morning, but the app is still showing "updated yesterday".
Screenshot_20190903-111924_Tesla.jpg

For me it was not necessary to have my key card with me when I logged in/out of my app (as described in my post #145 upthread) which resulted in my app working normally and I could walk up to my 3 and it unlocked as usual. I did not have my key card on me and did not have to use it to start my car.

And also Don’t Log Out of Your Account:

“Note: You must remain logged in to your Tesla Account to use your phone to access Model 3.”

mine was randomly logged off once last month. Not sure if there was an update .Thankfully Google remembers passwords!

Use the fingerprint sensor instead of password (i haven't enabled it yet)?

Last edited: