Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a 12V battery malfunction common denominator?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m scheduled to pick up my Model 3 LR next week Sunday, Sep13th. In the 8 weeks of waiting, I’ve been trying to learn all I can from everyone’s experiences in hopes to develop good habits from the get go. One thing I was curious for those who have had their Model 3 for at least a year or two: have their been any common denominators with everyone who has had issues with their 12V battery within the first year of taking ownership of their car? Such as leaving Sentry Mode (or any other software functions) enabled 24/7? Or constantly checking in on their car via the app - thus, not allowing the car to “sleep” long enough? Is the issue any more tropical in hotter climates vs. colder climates? Etc? Anyone noticed any particular trends that stick out with the 12V battery malfunction?

That's a pretty good resource, but it does state "Tesla included additional hardware at the battery to help detect when the battery is nearing its end of life. Should the battery get within 3-4 weeks of the end, Tesla warns you with a clear message that the 12v battery needs replacement."

Perhaps for some (most?), but I'd offer there's another failure mode: 12v warning occurs and the following morning the vehicle won't start. Or so it went in my experience.