Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a heating element inside updated (2021) steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model Y's now being delivered with the heated steering wheel. Using an infrared camera, here's how hot it gets - Drive Tesla Canada

Model-Y-heated-steering-wheel-infrared.jpg

The entire wheel gets heated!

Welp, time to trade in my POS 2019 3 lol

So jealous. This is the feature I miss the most from my Volt

Heated steering wheel, heated seat and AC on low is the best feeling while driving. If you know, you know

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedy Chinook
If the silver scroll wheel is already heated and will be enabled by future software release, how can those MY have them? I have not heard any new releases and software updates are by the fleet.

I suspect the feature is already in the latest update but you have to have the heated wheel for the function to show up

so no, existing MY won’t have it

What software version do you need?

From the article

The owner placed an order for a Long Range (LR) Model Y on January 4, 2021. He tells Drive Tesla he picked it up 9 days later on January 13 at the Salt Lake City showroom. It came with software version 2020.39.110 installed, a unique numbering system used for cars straight from the factory.

No word on whether or not existing MY's will be receiving it via software update yet. But seems that if you have a steering wheel with no stitching, it will have the heated steering wheel.

Reactions: DriverOne
I just looked in the Tesla parts catalog, which defaults to US for me, and it still only lists a non-heated steering wheel. Can someone look at the parts catalog from a China perspective and see if it lists the new wheel? From the diagram, it looks like the wheel and control module in the column will need to be replaced, which I expect will be close to $1K. Plus additional wiring back, assuming it can be retrofitted. Then the issue comes with reprogramming, which may not be offered by Tesla. If the whole job is possible, but comes in around $1500, although I agree this should have been there at day 1, aftermarket will make much more sense to me.

I realize BreatheEasier is making some assumptions with this post, but his assumptions make sense to me.

...and the software update won't mean anything if the hardware isn't there...a lot more hardware than people realize!!!

For those with the metal scroll steering wheel - have you tried the voice command to "turn on heated steering wheel"? I have an early VIN, but even my software version (latest available) recognizes the command, but says it failed to turn on the heated steering wheel, like it looked for the hardware, but couldn't find it. Before Tesla fixed the glovebox command, it didn't even understand when I asked it to "open glove box", so I know what an unknown command response looks like. Just a thought that maybe all metal scroll wheel steering wheels do not have the heating element, and some do.

^^^...and changing out scroll wheels isn't a major re-design. They can call it "updated", but it's just the wheels.

laughMan: I hope you're right, but I think we'd know by now if there's a sleeping heating element in our steering wheels.
I’m trying to review this thread, it looks like everyone is wondering if the new cars have the heated steering wheels and waiting to be activated..?

I just picked up a 3P and made a service claim after bringing it home for black markings and fingerprints everywhere. I also noted that the steering wheel was scuffed. I received an email regarding my parts ordered update and it looks like they ordered part #1095222-90-O (M3Y - SW ASSY, PUR, w Heat ECU). Has the term heat in it. I don’t know why that word would be there if it wasn’t the new wheel. I tried to search that part online but can’t find the “90-O” part specifically. Maybe I’m wrong or inexperienced, but thought I would share in case it helps.

My guess - though it might be wishful thinking at this point - is that there's a problem with the latest versions of the Firmware (2020.48.35.*) that makes enabling the heated steering wheel a bad experience for customers who have the new wheel in their car but can't access it. New Model Y's being delivered with the old firmware are using a stable version from the past that can access and safely enable the heated steering wheel.

Complete conjecture, but it would make sense if there's something like a "winter mode" being developed that changes the heating and driving styles of the car for better efficiency and safety. (Think automatic heating if the temperature is under 40 and reduced regen breaking at the same time for traction on ice/snow. But disable the heater over 40 for energy efficiency). Of course there are other scenarios to consider, including the possibility the hardware just isn't in the other Model Y's, but my hope/guess is that the v11 will introduce this for all of those waiting.

I’m trying to review this thread, it looks like everyone is wondering if the new cars have the heated steering wheels and waiting to be activated..?

I just picked up a 3P and made a service claim after bringing it home for black markings and fingerprints everywhere. I also noted that the steering wheel was scuffed. I received an email regarding my parts ordered update and it looks like they ordered part #1095222-90-O (M3Y - SW ASSY, PUR, w Heat ECU). Has the term heat in it. I don’t know why that word would be there if it wasn’t the new wheel. I tried to search that part online but can’t find the “90-O” part specifically. Maybe I’m wrong or inexperienced, but thought I would share in case it helps.

The "w Heat ECU" scares me...this sounds like the swap may be more than an updated steering wheel for early VINs. Honestly, I can't blame Tesla if none of the updates to the MY are able to be retrofit. It would be like asking Apple to allow retrofit of their latest camera tech in the iPhone 12 into the previous generation. The only possible retrofit may be the laminated glass and front door panels, but the cost will probably be very high. My position remains that if I want all the new features, that selling my MY and buying a 21 is the best path. I won't be doing that until the updated battery pack, though.

The "w Heat ECU" scares me...this sounds like the swap may be more than an updated steering wheel for early VINs. Honestly, I can't blame Tesla if none of the updates to the MY are able to be retrofit. It would be like asking Apple to allow retrofit of their latest camera tech in the iPhone 12 into the previous generation. The only possible retrofit may be the laminated glass and front door panels, but the cost will probably be very high. My position remains that if I want all the new features, that selling my MY and buying a 21 is the best path. I won't be doing that until the updated battery pack, though.

I was thinking same. Concerned though -- wonder what our 2020 MY will be worth to those who know what it is lacking - with the new batteries being the biggest advantage in the later models - along with the console modifications - steering wheel - glass - and more...!

Hello All, Do any took deliver recently, if so, please confirm if they have any/all of these.

Battery upgrade
Heated Steering wheel
Glove pack
New Headlights pack
Auto-dim mirrors,
laminated window glass, and
steering wheel metal scrolls.