Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the best year model Y Perf to purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m considering buying a cpo model Y for the free FSD, but I know Tesla has added and removed content over the past couple years. I’m leaning towards 2021…

For instance:
2020: added double pane front windows
2021: updated interior and heated steering wheel, increase to battery size?

At some point in 22/23, not knowing the dates:
-AMD Ryzen chip was added
-the brakes were downgraded to floating calipers with covers
-removal of USS

Anything else I’m missing?

So I’m considering buying a cpo model Y for the free FSD, but I know Tesla has added and removed content over the past couple years. I’m leaning towards 2021…

For instance:
2020: added double pane front windows
2021: updated interior and heated steering wheel, increase to battery size?

At some point in 22/23, not knowing the dates:
-AMD Ryzen chip was added
-the brakes were downgraded to floating calipers with covers
-removal of USS

Anything else I’m missing?
They improved the comfort of the suspension in Fall of 2022.

• Helpful
Reactions: YisSerL
Don't believe the downgraded brakes narrative. The Brembo calipers was a molded caliper with the same sliding mechanism. Single piston slider between the Rear Brembo and now Mando calipers. It was 100% aethestic. Rotor sizes between the front and rear are the same at 355F and 335R. Braking performance is essentially the same, just color red.

Hope this helps

AxleCaliper DescriptionBrake PadBrake RotorRotor WeightCaliper StyleApplication
FrontBrembo Performance (Silver)3/Y Performance355 x 25 mm One-Piece23.4 lbsFixed 4-PistonModel Y SR, LR AWD
RearMando Base (Silver)3/Y Base335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y SR, LR AWD
FrontBrembo Performance (Red)3/Y Performance355 x 25 mm One-Piece23.4 lbsFixed 4-PistonModel Y Performance
RearBrembo Performance (Red)3/Y Performance335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y Performance (up to 8/15/2022)
RearMando Base (Red)3/Y Base335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y Performance (post 8/15/2022)

• Informative
Reactions: YisSerL and E90alex
Don't believe the downgraded brakes narrative. The Brembo calipers was a molded caliper with the same sliding mechanism. Single piston slider between the Rear Brembo and now Mando calipers. It was 100% aethestic. Rotor sizes between the front and rear are the same at 355F and 335R. Braking performance is essentially the same, just color red.

Hope this helps

AxleCaliper DescriptionBrake PadBrake RotorRotor WeightCaliper StyleApplication
FrontBrembo Performance (Silver)3/Y Performance355 x 25 mm One-Piece23.4 lbsFixed 4-PistonModel Y SR, LR AWD
RearMando Base (Silver)3/Y Base335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y SR, LR AWD
FrontBrembo Performance (Red)3/Y Performance355 x 25 mm One-Piece23.4 lbsFixed 4-PistonModel Y Performance
RearBrembo Performance (Red)3/Y Performance335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y Performance (up to 8/15/2022)
RearMando Base (Red)3/Y Base335 x 20 mm One-Piece17.2 lbsFloating 1-PistonModel Y Performance (post 8/15/2022)

Am i reading this correct? There's no difference between performance and SR/LR brakes other than color? Both are 355FR/335R?

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Instead of a new '23, I went with the lowest mileage '22 I could find that had the updated interior and USS. I had a '22 and loved it. I have rented a number of '23 Teslas with vision and missed the USS. I paid a premium for the low mileage '22, but I'm okay with that and use the USS all the time.

That said, my husband can park within inches of things and doesn't need cameras and sensors. I don't think I have the same spatial skills that my husband has since as a guy he has the upper hand on this. If you don't need the USS, get the new one with the rebate.

Instead of a new '23, I went with the lowest mileage '22 I could find that had the updated interior and USS. I had a '22 and loved it. I have rented a number of '23 Teslas with vision and missed the USS. I paid a premium for the low mileage '22, but I'm okay with that and use the USS all the time.

That said, my husband can park within inches of things and doesn't need cameras and sensors. I don't think I have the same spatial skills that my husband has since as a guy he has the upper hand on this. If you don't need the USS, get the new one with the rebate.

Yea i'm leaning towards 2022 for USS, been tracking a couple cars on teslas inventory, hopefully can snag one when the price hits my budget

I just picked up my 23 Y and don't really understand what the fuss is about. The USS on my X were nice, but I didn't consider them a dealbreaker. But it's funny you mention spatial skills. My partner has no problem doing surgery by feel but she's terrified of parking without the USS :p

I just picked up my 23 Y and don't really understand what the fuss is about. The USS on my X were nice, but I didn't consider them a dealbreaker. But it's funny you mention spatial skills. My partner has no problem doing surgery by feel but she's terrified of parking without the USS :p
It gives me a lot of peace of mind when garage parking. On my 2019 Model 3, when i was parking in my garage, i would use the USS numbers until they said 12" away and that would be my marker to park. I don't have to think about it, and it was consistent. Without USS, i think it makes that situation a lot more annoying every day

Reactions: E90alex