Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a market for Uberturbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bought my car back in July and was planning on getting the Performance model without PUP so I could get the 20in wheels. Then, just as I was about to pull the trigger, they did away with the PUP and forced anyone who wanted a Performance model to get the Uberturbines. In retrospect, I wish I had just gone with the LR knowing what I know now about tire availability for the 21in staggered setup. I'll never understand why they did that. In any event, I live in Atlanta GA where it routinely gets into the teens and 20s in the winter with occasional snow and ice. I'm considering a set of 20in Martin rims, but would definitely be looking to ditch the Uberturbines if I go that route. I see some for sale on Ebay and there doesn't seem to be a lot of action of them. Think I'll be able to sell them?

There are folks out there who are looking to trade (+little cash on top) their 19s and 20s with the Uberturbine wheels. If you are looking to sell them out right, I think the going rate is about $2500 max depending on condition.

I have a new Model Y Performance on order. Should get in couple of weeks. Is there any very strong evidence or strong opinions on why I should swap out the 21 inch Uberturbine wheels to a 19 inch wheel. Also, I understand the smaller wheel may be too small to clear the performance caliper. I am not willing to drop down on the model to long range because that is more of a priority for me.

I have a new Model Y Performance on order. Should get in couple of weeks. Is there any very strong evidence or strong opinions on why I should swap out the 21 inch Uberturbine wheels to a 19 inch wheel. Also, I understand the smaller wheel may be too small to clear the performance caliper. I am not willing to drop down on the model to long range because that is more of a priority for me.

If you are absolutely not going to drive anywhere the temperature is below 40F, you have no reason to give up the 21 inch wheels with summer tires. Of course, potholes are another matter, but we at least have the illusion of having some control over whether we drive into them.

Reactions: KenYoung1
When going down a size from the 21s you may see the following advantages: range increase, smoother ride, broader range of tire choice and they cost less. Depending on wheel construction you most likely will save unsprung weight.

Thanks for replies. I live in West Palm so it does not get cold. Not many potholes either. Given that there are advantages to downsizing vs. the better aesthetics of the 21 inch, I think I will opt to keep the 21s for now anyway. Funny that Tesla doesn't give you any option on wheels on the performance Y
590378-495db438f9bd4d4d799eccc389808a9b.jpg

This is my other car. TTRS. Figure to keep this as a "collection car". It is a 2012 with 6 speed manual. I thought it was very fast until I drove my wife's Model 3 performance, lol.

Attachments

• Audi TTRS.JPG
    Audi TTRS.JPG
    652.9 KB · Views: 173
I have a buddy trying to sell his 21" tire/wheel/tpms with 35xx miles that are IN MINT condition for $3500 OBO, but they are available only for pick up in the St Louis area. They are aired up ready to mount.

He might be willing to drive some distance to meet the buyer. PM me for info.

I just switched from Ubers to 19” Martians with no figment issues. Range is up, steering feels lighter, acceleration feels a bit more...sudden, shaved 20-25# or so off each corner and ride is slightly more supple. Great upgrade IMO and will likely put my Ubers with P Zeros @ 6K miles on the market in NYS/LI. Maybe can’t circle a track as quickly now but since I don’t track this car I don’t know whether that’s actually the case. I have high performance all seasons with a severe snow service rating which I’m really liking, so we’ll see who’s more grippy when the white stuff starts falling.