Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a reason service charges my car to 100%?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car is in for some work, noting relating to the battery. Slider was at 90% when I dropped it off. As soon as service brought it in they disabled app access. This morning I got an app notification that my car had completed charging and it was at 312km (it's a 60, I know this is 100% charge). Work on the car isn't supposed to be done till late today and I'm planning to pickup tomorrow.

Is there a reason they do this?

How bad is this for my battery to sit at 100% for more than 24 hours? I never do this myself, if I charge to 100% I'm leaving within an hour or so of the charge completing.

This happened last time my car was in too, but I forgot to ask about it.

If you bring it in at 90, they need to 'test' your UMC and charging capabilities, so if it's near 90, they'll bump it up to 100, just to make sure there's no problems charging.
they did that to mine, and that's what they said to me.

I dont think there's any problems doing it for short durations/a few times, but if you constantly recharge to 100 (like, daily), there might be long term effects (look at your cell phone!)

If you bring it in at 90, they need to 'test' your UMC and charging capabilities, so if it's near 90, they'll bump it up to 100, just to make sure there's no problems charging.
they did that to mine, and that's what they said to me.

I dont think there's any problems doing it for short durations/a few times, but if you constantly recharge to 100 (like, daily), there might be long term effects (look at your cell phone!)
It was at 15% when I dropped off... Slider set to 90%

It won't hurt anything. The battery is very robust and the only way you are going to possible have any detrimental effect is to leave it at a very low SOC for weeks and weeks.

I agree. Charging it once to 100% and leaving it for a day is not going to do anything bad to the battery. It would be a habit of doing this every single day, across the lifespan of the car, that would eventually result in battery degradation.

I agree. Charging it once to 100% and leaving it for a day is not going to do anything bad to the battery. It would be a habit of doing this every single day, across the lifespan of the car, that would eventually result in battery degradation.
OK good, I'm glad it's not really bad. Some guys in the charging threads are super anal about only charging to 70 or 80% daily. I do 90% in my 60 as I need the range, unless I'm heading out of town.

OK good, I'm glad it's not really bad. Some guys in the charging threads are super anal about only charging to 70 or 80% daily. I do 90% in my 60 as I need the range, unless I'm heading out of town.

I do the same, except when I charge at work and it's almost the end of the work day when I'm at 90%, I'll charge my 70D (software locked 75D) a tad over 90% for convenience since I burn off 15% over the course of a commute.

I think you are totally fine and if anything you're beyond diligent about your battery charging. If you have any degradation issues, it won't be because of how you treated the battery pack!

Also, if you have one of the newer 60 kWh battery packs (I don't remember when they started shipping these,) they are actually software-limited 75 kWh batteries.

In that case, setting it to 100% with the UI means it actually only was at 80% (something like that) of it's actual capacity.