Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't charge to 100% ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WllXM

May 4, 2022
London
In prevision of a road trip I attempted to charge my MYLR to 100% last night. It stopped at 93%

Screen & app are both showing "Charging Complete", and I'm unable to restart the charge for the remaining 7%...

1703235525747.png

Anyone experienced this before?
Why I am being short changed for these 7%?

Last edited:
7% is a bit much for this explanation, but for others with similar it might be.

The app shows ‘usable’ energy, in this case % form. This is different to ‘rated’ energy. As it gets colder, usable becomes less than rated, but it’s normally only a few percent (not 7% here). So a battery at 100.% rated is only say 98% usable, which is what the app and charge limit would show.

Your charge limit is 100%, but if it was the above it would be 93% at max. As I say, it’s not OPs problem, but might explain someone else reading this query.

This difference is in addition to the blue snowflake indicator.

The difference will converge as it warms, either ambient or when driving although the latter will not really be noticeable.

You do have some blue bar on your charge bar, indicating cold battery - it's possible there was more overnight, and the system has just protected the battery?
Have you tried unplugging prior to restarting, as this may allow for the difference (minus the blue "cold" amount) to be added?
Yes I did, I thought of that at first, but as @MrBadger said, 7% is a lot. Tried unplugging, didn't help.
The blue bar may account for 1% if I am to trust the graph, so I'm puzzled by the remaining 5/6% unaccounted for.

Screen & app are both showing "Charging Complete"
Are there any other complicated arrangements like IO or Octopus go or scheduled somewhere etc., That always say charging complete - if the other arrangements override the full charge.

The next one is some sort of software glitch sending the wrong message - I assume you have tried reset - if not do that and check.

The other thing I can think of is just to independently verify by SCing and see whether that makes a difference - rules out atleast the car factor.

Try preheating the battery. How cold is it there ?
Pretty mild, 12°C; so 54° of your Fahrenheit
Are there any other complicated arrangements like IO or Octopus go or scheduled somewhere etc., That always say charging complete - if the other arrangements override the full charge.

The next one is some sort of software glitch sending the wrong message - I assume you have tried reset - if not do that and check.

The other thing I can think of is just to independently verify by SCing and see whether that makes a difference - rules out atleast the car factor.
I had but I have disabled it as I though it might be the cause, didn't help

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Here's an old one that seems to describe the same issue - no real fix though I note that OP was using Octopus too. Might be worth a service request.

I wonder if something flipped your charger status to off in the Tesla API such that the car got the message, but the app didn't.

Have you tried:

1. Pressing the charging lightning bolt off, wait, then back on again?
2. Sliding the charge target down lower than your current SOC, wait, then back to 100%?
3. Combination of the above (i.e. slide the charge target down, press out the lightning bolt, slide the charge target up, press on the lightning bolt)

If it is an API issue, making sure the car gets the message before don't the next thing might be wise. Wait maybe 1-2 min between each step or maybe longer.