Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a Super Charging speed difference between Tesla models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a super charging speed difference between Tesla models?
Like if all models of vehicles are at 30 KW, and are charged to 40 KW. does one model of Tesla charge faster at a super charger in KWH.

I'm particularly interested in the Model 3 LR and Model Y vs model 3 SR+

I don't know about the MY, but the M3LR and SR+ have different supercharging speeds. It is negligible though, because the battery in the SR+ is smaller so you will reach a higher percentage faster but with less range than the LR.

This video is a bit dated, but it still demonstrates the difference... tl;dw: charging for 20 minutes at the same super charger between an SR+ and an LR resulted in the LR getting ~12kWh and ~45 more miles out of the super charger.

You can search google on Tesla charging curve or tesla charging profile, or add "model 3" to the search. You'll see charging speed varies relative to current SOC for example.
The Model 3 and Y that have the larger battery pack (~75-78kWh) are capable of charging at 250kW, although that is not sustained for very long. The smaller battery packs (~52-55kWh), for example in the 3 SR+, support a peak of 170kW.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Like if all models of vehicles are at 30 KW, and are charged to 40 KW. does one model of Tesla charge faster at a super charger in KWH.

Quick answer is yes. However the charging speed is determined by many things. The SR+ has a lower max charging speed at ~170kw/h vs. 250kw/h for the other trims. You can also say that the SR+ doesn't need to charge as fast since it has a smaller battery.

Now... the many things that determine charging speeds, temperature of your car's batteries, temperature of the charging handles at the Supercharger, state of charge of your battery, model year of your vehicle (they have different charging curves), and the generation of the Supercharger station itself (Gen 1=120Kw, Gen 2=150KW, Gen 3=250KW).

The charging rate tapers off depending on charge level so a small battery car like SR+ will taper more quickly than a larger battery car. The SR+ also has a lower max charging level but that matter much less than the charging curve.

I don't know about the MY, but the M3LR and SR+ have different supercharging speeds. It is negligible though, because the battery in the SR+ is smaller so you will reach a higher percentage faster but with less range than the LR.

This video is a bit dated, but it still demonstrates the difference... tl;dw: charging for 20 minutes at the same super charger between an SR+ and an LR resulted in the LR getting ~12kWh and ~45 more miles out of the super charger.
Thanks for that video that is exactly what I'm looking for.
I found this tool though Go Anywhere | Tesla
Where you can compare the different models and see how long to arrive at your location, surprisingly .... very close on a 11 hour road trip between SR+ and LR at least the chargers I would be hitting here in Canada only a 24 minute difference. I actually find this quite shocking ... it almost seems better that there is an additional stop for snacks/washroom anyways in the SR+ and in real life that stop would be made in a model 3 LR anyways so they are more or less the same.

A 31 hour roadtrip from Canada to San diego, is only about 7% faster in Long range.
and interestingly

a Model S is slower then a Model 3 LR. even though the range is higher on a Model S and considerably more expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks for that video that is exactly what I'm looking for.
I found this tool though Go Anywhere | Tesla
Where you can compare the different models and see how long to arrive at your location, surprisingly .... very close on a 11 hour road trip between SR+ and LR at least the chargers I would be hitting here in Canada only a 24 minute difference. I actually find this quite shocking ... it almost seems better that there is an additional stop for snacks/washroom anyways in the SR+ and in real life that stop would be made in a model 3 LR anyways so they are more or less the same.

A 31 hour roadtrip from Canada to San diego, is only about 7% faster in Long range.
and interestingly

a Model S is slower then a Model 3 LR. even though the range is higher on a Model S and considerably more expensive.
Tesla's website is a bit biased. It does work, but it is off of the stated range for the most part.

You should use A Better Routeplanner for a better representation of what you can expect.

Reactions: GtiMart
If you are in Canada then you should get an AWD unless you absolutely can't afford it. The SR+ might be fine for California but I wouldn't want a RWD car in any place that gets snow. The other thing to take into account is the range loss in winter, I have a pre-heat pump M3 AWD and I see a 1/3rd to 40% range loss when I turn on the heat, I'm in Massachusetts which is a lot warmer than Canada. The new cars with heat pumps should do better than that but there is still a range loss.

• Disagree
Reactions: XPsionic

Model 3 LR charges same speed as the Y. SR+ models charge slower but also have a smaller battery so overall they are roughly the same. In fact before the 80kwh update the SR+ would actually charge very slightly faster relative to the size of the battery I think.

If you are in Canada then you should get an AWD unless you absolutely can't afford it. The SR+ might be fine for California but I wouldn't want a RWD car in any place that gets snow. The other thing to take into account is the range loss in winter, I have a pre-heat pump M3 AWD and I see a 1/3rd to 40% range loss when I turn on the heat, I'm in Massachusetts which is a lot warmer than Canada. The new cars with heat pumps should do better than that but there is still a range loss.
Inhabitant of Quebec City, Qc, Canada here, where is snows a lot. The vast majority of Model 3 owners have an SR+ because it gets a total of 13000CAD in credits whereas the AWD gets nada. With proper snow tires, that car is as capable as any other fwd car, the traction and stability control systems do wonders. It's not mandatory to have an awd. It will be better for sure, but an SR+ is not a problem on snow.

Reactions: JJHawk and XPsionic
Inhabitant of Quebec City, Qc, Canada here, where is snows a lot. The vast majority of Model 3 owners have an SR+ because it gets a total of 13000CAD in credits whereas the AWD gets nada. With proper snow tires, that car is as capable as any other fwd car, the traction and stability control systems do wonders. It's not mandatory to have an awd. It will be better for sure, but an SR+ is not a problem on snow.

AWD is grossly overrated and it generally comes from Americans who want to drive summer tires when its -5C and snowy...
An SR+ with winter tires is far more capeable than a LR with summer or all seasons....