Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a trick to plug in Level 2 charger with the Tesla adapter provided?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello folks

This is for 2013 Tesla Model S 85.

Yes, I have read the manual and it seems "interesting" to say the least when the car would like to me to plug in a regular Level 2 charger (J1772) with the additional adapter. Sometimes it wants to gets plugged in and sometimes it does not.

If some one can offer me some help, that would be awesome! Again, this is for non-tesla level 2 charges but using the Tesla adapter.

Thanks all!!

Also, be aware that the charge port will "lock" itself after a certain amount of inactivity, preventing you from plugging in anything. You sort of need to juggle opening the charge port door, getting the adapter out, activating the J1772 charger and getting it plugged in before the charge port locks itself.

I'm not sure how long it stays unlocked for, but you can hear it when it locks, its a good solid click. If it locked itself, just go to the control panel and click the "Charge Port" button again.

Although neither should be very difficult at all, unplugging is a bit trickier because you generally need to press the button on the J1772 to get the car to unlock the charge-port, but doing so will also disengage the J1772 plug from the adapter. If you don't pull them out together, the adapter could be locked into the charge port, and you'll have to unlock it to remove it. The "trick" is to use two hands to remove both plug and adapter at once.

• Love
Reactions: Raza-Khan
Although neither should be very difficult at all, unplugging is a bit trickier because you generally need to press the button on the J1772 to get the car to unlock the charge-port, but doing so will also disengage the J1772 plug from the adapter. If you don't pull them out together, the adapter could be locked into the charge port, and you'll have to unlock it to remove it. The "trick" is to use two hands to remove both plug and adapter at once.

Yup..tricky indeed

Keep in mind that you can unlock the charge port by holding the trunk button on your key fob for three seconds. No need to mess with the screen in the car if you're already out and next to the port and need it unlocked.
Also, on recent models (I think late 2014 and on) you can just push on the little charge cover door and it will open as long as the car is not locked. Most useful when connecting J1772.

So, clicking the trunk unlock three times or hold it for three seconds did not work. But what seems to work is to slightly unclick the Level 2 charger and use both hands to take the charger and adapter out at the same time. I hope that they come with a better software update for this one.