Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to set the maximum TACC speed to change with the current speed limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When using TACC, I'll sometimes be driving and the road's speed limit will change, but TACC's maximum speed stays what it was when I first turned it on, so I disable it then re-enable it with the new speed limit. Is there a way to have it do this automatically?

I see this sometimes too. It _seems_ to sometimes update the max speed limit for TACC/Autopilot if it is enabled. It also seems to depend on vision seeing a speed limit sign at times. I haven't figured out the logic for when it updates and when it doesn't. I do see it lower the speed when coming to slower regions on the same road.

When using TACC, I'll sometimes be driving and the road's speed limit will change, but TACC's maximum speed stays what it was when I first turned it on, so I disable it then re-enable it with the new speed limit. Is there a way to have it do this automatically?
No - but in any road where the max speed is showing - you can just touch the max speed on the screen to set your speed (to the max speed).

If the max speed limit is not changing - use the scroll wheel to quickly change (usually goes up / down by 5 mph for every quick scroll).

No - but in any road where the max speed is showing - you can just touch the max speed on the screen to set your speed (to the max speed).

If the max speed limit is not changing - use the scroll wheel to quickly change (usually goes up / down by 5 mph for every quick scroll).
hmm... my car changes the speed limit automatically ... sometimes. Is it because of the FSD?

For the S, engaging TACC with the AP stalk sets it to the max speed (speed limit plus offset) by default, unless you’re already going faster than that, in which case it uses your current speed.

True, for engaging, that sounds like the same behavior I see in the X. The question was, say you are set to 45mph max and the speed limit goes up, do the S/X ever/always/never increase the max speed on their own? It seems to rarely happen here, but I thought it had done it a couple times.

Does pulling the stalk forward while already engaged do it? I don't think I've ever tried. I usually just bump it up in 5mph increments.

True, for engaging, that sounds like the same behavior I see in the X. The question was, say you are set to 45mph max and the speed limit goes up, do the S/X ever/always/never increase the max speed on their own? It seems to rarely happen here, but I thought it had done it a couple times.

Does pulling the stalk forward while already engaged do it? I don't think I've ever tried. I usually just bump it up in 5mph increments.

I don't think the cruising speed will increase for speed limit changes unless the car automatically reduced the cruising speed in response to speed limit changes, road curves, etc. For example, if you initially set the cruising speed to 60, and AP reduces it to 45 because of changing conditions, it might go back to 60 automatically but it won't go faster.

But does it increase when the speed limit changes for just TACC, without FSD / AP?

Oh I see. It used to, but not any more.

I've been on firmware 2021.4.13, 2021.4.15, 2021.4.18, 2021.4.18.2, 2021.12.25.7, 2021.24.5, 2021.24.11, and currently 2021.36.8.

For most of those it would kinda-sorta follow changes in speed limit. I've got it set for speed limit +4, so if I engage TACC in a 35 it would set to 39, and if the speed limit changed to 40 then TACC would change to 44. But I say "kinda-sorta" because it would not always change. My theory is that it had some non-obvious heuristic whose intent was to only change if I hadn't overridden the setting using the right knob: if I was controlling then it would let me control, otherwise it would do it.

It no longer follows changes to speed limits. I just deliberately ran it through some scenarios on the way to work, making sure I never used the knob to override the setting. Starting out in a 35 it did not adjust up when the speed limit changed to 40, and on another street it did not adjust down when the speed limit went from 35 to 30.

I am not sure if this new behavior started in 2021.24, or if it's new in 2021.36.8.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow