Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to switch your tesla energy rep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3 / Y, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
As per title, is there a way I can request a different tesla energy rep? When I started the process, I had a very responsive sales rep call me for my 2 powerwall purchase. They then transferred me to a post sale rep who was also very (very) responsive.

After e-signed the interconnect agreement, the second rep transferred me to another one with the statement "they work on powerwall installs in your area and will be able to coordinate install, appointment, permits, etc". Since that time, this third rep only responded to a question I had in email after about a week, without the information I was looking for.

Efforts to reach them via phone only go to voicemail, despite calling during the time they say they are available. I want to request a new rep, but pressing "0" only goes to a non working voicemail box. Is there a number I can call to escalate a request for a new representative?

Reading stuff like this I'm SO glad we decided to cancel our contract with Tesla Solar before proceeding with the install. More people need to speak their opinion with their buying power and either NOT buy Tesla or buy from a competitor that prioritizes customer service & support.

I can't help you directly but hopefully someone comes along that can. It's rare that anyone has any sort of direct contact/name/number for someone at Tesla though. It's a disgrace.

I doubt there is a way to switch Reps. Fortunately my pre-installation and installation contacts were all pretty good, but then post install when I had problems the support contacts were uncommunicative and never had answers until suddenly they resolved the issue, but only after several weeks of waiting. Tesla does need to improve, no doubt, and we need to keep speaking up until they do.

On the flip side, as far as I'm concerned, there is no alternative that even compares to the Tesla PowerWalls and software (even with it's weaknesses) from a cost or function perspective. So even with my multi-week outage some time back, and terrible Tesla support (That they MUST FIX), I'm still glad I moved forward overall, but respect any decision to not go with Tesla because you have to be prepared for slow responses many times, and consistently poor communication - at least for now.

Good luck with your Rep, and I can tell you from experience unfortunately, communicating frustration at the reps doesn't help anything. One thing I did do at one point was call the main energy phone line (I think I found that number at the bottom of my reservation page, at the time) and I was very self-effacing, indicating I just was making sure I didn't drop the ball "on my end" and wanted to know if they could let me know if things were waiting on me since I hadn't heard from anybody, and at that point, for what ever reason, and with who I twas I happened to get on the phone during the pre-install phase, it all seemed to cause something to kick loose, that got the ball rolling again. But these folks are human to be sure, probably overworked, and definitely tend to become less responsive and helpful in the face of an upset person - even though WE ARE THE CUSTOMER, they seem perfectly willing to walk away or not help when it comes to angry customers! Must be nice I guess to have that luxury as a business!

Reactions: jjrandorin
As per title, is there a way I can request a different tesla energy rep? When I started the process, I had a very responsive sales rep call me for my 2 powerwall purchase. They then transferred me to a post sale rep who was also very (very) responsive.

After e-signed the interconnect agreement, the second rep transferred me to another one with the statement "they work on powerwall installs in your area and will be able to coordinate install, appointment, permits, etc". Since that time, this third rep only responded to a question I had in email after about a week, without the information I was looking for.

Efforts to reach them via phone only go to voicemail, despite calling during the time they say they are available. I want to request a new rep, but pressing "0" only goes to a non working voicemail box. Is there a number I can call to escalate a request for a new representative?

There is nothing I hate more than a lack of response to a communication. That's one reason why I would not want to have a system installed by a company that does most of their business over the phone or web.

I am a big proponent of communication, and am aware of teslas shortcomings in this area. I have a solar city solar system on my roof (installed in 2015) and a model 3 performance in my garage. Both of those experiences were wonderful back then, but I seem to have hit the bad roulette wheel of poor service with this third rep.

I am usually very patient, especially as long as someone communicates with me, but as I mentioned, I know Tesla has issues related to this. I also agree that they are likely overworked, stressed, etc which causes them to only contact people they have to for whatever reason.

I was considering going with a third party powerwall installer (still powerwalls) but the price difference would have been a few thousand dollars for the exact same thing. I do put a premium on customer service, but I did not want to spend like 3-4k more for the exact same powerwall + installation so decided to move forward with tesla directly.

Thanks for the posts, appreciate the support and encouragement.

The best way I learned with Tesla is call their topic line and don't ask for your rep. Isn't a rep just for sales? If you want engineering, they can be triggered by anyone I think. Of course, you never get the same engineer, and usually don't get to talk to them directly, and often have to go through a gauntlet of techs first, which might just work anyway.

I finally got ahold of my rep. My current rep is not a "sales" rep. He is supposed to be there to push my deal forward within tesla, ensuring the interconnect agreement is filed properly, staying on top of the permit process etc.

Im a bit frustrated because it now looks like I am not going to make the 12/31 install time required to get the full 30% tax credit. They had my approved interconnect agreement the same day they sent it to me, which was October 15th, and after I finally got ahold of my rep, I found out that tesla did not apply for my permit with the city until November 18th, so 4 weeks of nothing.

Tesla closed the local office in my neighborhood, and centralized some stuff, and that caused the delay, according to my rep anyway. Its frustrating because that difference is like $750, and its through no fault of my own, I originally ordered October 1st so was pretty hopeful that I could get installed by December 31st.. especially since I am just getting 2 powerwalls and my existing solar system is solar city (so they had all the specs for everything already).

I passed through engineering in 2 days so by October 4-5 An engineer had already signed off on my preferred location (inside the garage, on the same wall that my electrical panel is on, with likely a <10 foot cable run).

Basically I feel this rep did not do his job, since his job is to push my deal forward... but I although I expressed some disappointment when I finally got him on the phone, I did not try switching to someone else at that point. I just asked him to "please do whatever you can to help me make the 12/31 timeline".

This is one of the most frustrating things about dealing with tesla in any capacity, and I knew this going on (since I already have a solar city solar system and a model 3). Its just disappointing even if you expect it. Going with a 3rd party installer would have definitely been faster, but would have been a minimum of 2500-3000 more for the exact same install. Even if I miss the tax credit, that means I am only saving 1800-2300 over the third party installer, which is still a significant chunk of change, even over something you will have 10+ years.

i hear ya - you know about my frustrations around M3 order timing.

i'm also supposed to have a powerwall installed 12/13 and right after they sent the interconnection agreement paperwork, my rep went on vacation for a week and a half. because i mistakenly asked them to switch me to NEM2.0, i did not sign the paperwork. now i need to ask them to regenerate the paperwork under NEM1.0 and hope that it does not delay the installation. the rep won't be back till tuesday.

local installers are trying to get almost $10k more for what tesla is doing, so from an economic standpoint tesla is the only game in town... i just hope they don't mess up my job by rushing it.