Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an option to REMOVE cameras from the Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, I saw a parked Model X and when I looked on the side where the cameras should be, there were NO cameras.. only the Tesla logo.
Is there an option to remove the cameras? Or are they located somewhere else?
And if there IS an option, why? They can't use autopilot.

Yesterday, I saw a parked Model X and when I looked on the side where the cameras should be, there were NO cameras.. only the Tesla logo.
Is there an option to remove the cameras? Or are they located somewhere else?
And if there IS an option, why? They can't use autopilot.

could be AP1, which only uses a camera in the rearview + radar

Side cameras weren't a thing until late 2016. So you just saw an earlier one. Every Tesla since then has had the full camera suite. You could disconnect them, but you might get a bunch of errors that Autopilot/safety features are limited or unavailable.

Reactions: rush6410
I think you took the Autopilot order page a bit too literally. Teslas all have the same safety hardware regardless of the convenience software purchased.
however if you have an earlier model year 2016 X or S, and are on AP1 as noted above you don't have any cameras on the sides of the vehicle. Only the AP camera in front of the Rear view mirror, and the backup camera. AP2+ (Late 2016 model year S&X on) all have the side cameras regardless. We've got a 2015 S85D and 2016 X90D, both with AP1 so just have the base 2 cameras as I noted above. Have a friend with a late 2016 S with the full camera suite as his came with AP2 hardware (when Tesla moved from Mobileye hardware (AP1) to their own).

however if you have an earlier model year 2016 X or S, and are on AP1 as noted above you don't have any cameras on the sides of the vehicle. Only the AP camera in front of the Rear view mirror, and the backup camera. AP2+ (Late 2016 model year S&X on) all have the side cameras regardless. We've got a 2015 S85D and 2016 X90D, both with AP1 so just have the base 2 cameras as I noted above. Have a friend with a late 2016 S with the full camera suite as his came with AP2 hardware (when Tesla moved from Mobileye hardware (AP1) to their own).

Definitely but Tesla included the HW1 Mobileye camera/EyeQ3 chip to all cars regardless of whether they bought AP convenience software. Similarly, they didn't remove cameras from any HW2/2.5/3 cars that didn't buy FSD. The hardware for a particular generation is the same regardless of software purchased.

AP1 was the best AP ;)