Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any other EV can even touch the M3 at $35K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wrong - they still have half the tax credit.
The other evs would have to be $38,750

I'm not looking at things from the perspective of today as in this minute, and I don't think the price changes were either. They were in anticipation of what's coming.

We have three things that are going to serious impact the sales situation, and they're all going to occur roughly at the same time. As in within the next 3-6 months

The end of the tax credit. In 3 months for all sense and purpose it's over.
The EV's from Audi or Porsche which are positioned to be in direct competition with Tesla
The Roll out of the Electrify America network. That will enable people like me to consider other EV's than Tesla's as long as the Electrify America network fits my needs.

It might look a bit dire, but at least it's not Brexit. :p

Last edited:
If you read the chart correctly, you will see that most of the 17k that you reference are not EVs, they are also hybrids. If you only take into account EVs (the ones with a battery next to the name). You will see that 6,500 Model 3 were sold in January and non Teslas added up to 2,539 or as a % the Model 3 was 72% of the EV market in January.

Dude, whatever. 28% of the BEV buyers didn't get a Model 3. Proves my point the Model 3 wasn't untouchable.

Standard Range has had an upgrade from 32a
Screenshot_20190303-204136_Chrome.jpg

That's definitely an opinion from a Tesla person.

But a Leaf is currently selling for $22500 after tax credit, whereas the Model 3 is $31250. $10k may not be much to you, but it is to others.

And for $32,000, you can get one in red with TACC and even paint protection. Heck, in the Leaf, TACC AND Red are less than 20% of just Red in the Model 3.
That’s assuming you can take full advantage of the tax credit. I think at the $35k level you get a lot more buyers who can’t use the full $7500, so $3,750. There will be many where the price is $31,250 vs $26,000+. The Leaf has 60-70 miles less range (150) and is a lot slower. Where are the Nissan quick charge stations?

Sure, you can debate the value of all the features and capabilities, but the one of the biggest reasons buyers will be choosing a Bolt EV, Kona Electric or LEAF in 2019 is because it has a rear hatch with the associated cargo flexibility. Add in uncertainty with Tesla buying process/quality/serviceability, fear of loosing the dealer network or brand loyalty and there’s a significant population that won’t pay much attention to the Model 3.
Uh, I don’t think there is an EV buyer in existance who would not prefer a Tesla vs whatever EV they bought, it has just been cost. I would have prefered a Model S over both of my Volts but the $50k+ difference prevented it. I traded my 2013 Volt for a M3P and could not be happier, except for the 2018 Volt that now needs to go for another Tesla.

The EV's from Audi or Porsche which are positioned to be in direct competition with Tesla
The Roll out of the Electrify America network. That will enable people like me to consider other EV's than Tesla's as long as the Electrify America network fits my needs.
The EVs from Audi and Porsche are way more expense and I'm sure the numbers will be very limited. The Electrify network barely exists now and will take years to get as big as Tesla's. Meanwhile, Tesla is not just sitting on their hands waiting for the competition to catch up.

The EVs from Audi and Porsche are way more expense and I'm sure the numbers will be very limited. The Electrify network barely exists now and will take years to get as big as Tesla's. Meanwhile, Tesla is not just sitting on their hands waiting for the competition to catch up.

They certainly are from the recent price changes, but not had the prices remained the same.

As to the Electrify America network.

Yeah, I'm not all that impressed either. It's not just the limited size, but I wish they had more stalls. I also don't trust that they'll expand it.

But, I'm still considering the E-Tron if it goes well. I have no issues paying more for the E-tron as it's a little more off-road worthy.