Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any other EV can even touch the M3 at $35K?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Leaf if you gouge your eyes out so you don't need to look at it. Mostly because there is a bigger federal credit and for some reason, in some areas, a utility rebate. In my area there is a $5000 (Yes, really) incentive from the utility. It ends in four weeks though. I have no idea why there is a utility incentive for the Leaf and not for the Volt or Bolt.

I agree it is now disadvantages Tesla. The credit played its role, so as far as the macro economy is concerned, it will be wise to eliminate it. Before you start disliking, think about it. All legacy automakers have enough money to survive. So cancelling it would achieve two goals: a. Ease competition for Tesla. b. Force other automakers to invest more capital to match Tesla. The public money can be spent somewhere else.

The tax credit is now working against Tesla.

Other companies can match Tesla's $35K price with a car that is $42.5K

That brings up a question I have.

VW owns Porsche along with Audi.

So does one sold Porsche EV count towards the limit for VW or is there a separate limit for Porsche?
I'm thinking they should be lumped together....but only the IRS knows. Regardless...looks like as a whole...VW Group has a few years to go to reach 200K. The Koreans...have a longer ways to go...

upload_2019-3-1_19-41-39.png

• Informative
Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
That's something, but unless I really needed it it'd be hard to lose the numerous benefits of the 3.
Sure, you can debate the value of all the features and capabilities, but the one of the biggest reasons buyers will be choosing a Bolt EV, Kona Electric or LEAF in 2019 is because it has a rear hatch with the associated cargo flexibility. Add in uncertainty with Tesla buying process/quality/serviceability, fear of loosing the dealer network or brand loyalty and there’s a significant population that won’t pay much attention to the Model 3.

Reactions: seattlite2004
Leaf has been brought up a lot in this thread. Nissan continues to produce cars without liquid cooled batteries. It renders the Leaf useless to compare.There are other brands that are using cabin air cooling (also a fail) that will be short lived cars as well. Buyers will be suckered into buying these cars because they won't know better.
I was very disappointed with the battery in my Leaf. Down 3 bars when I sold it with 40,000 on it. Not good, but not bad enough for warranty replacement. I fully believed I'd get to 10 years with 70% capacity, but at the rate it was going it would have been more like 50%. The other I was going to bring up is that I think the Model 3 has more room inside, but without a hatch back it's hard to use it to its full potential. The Leaf was not all bad though. It used less power, was easier to get in and out of, and the stereo could actually restart everything the way I left it when I shut it off, something the M3 still seems unable to do. It also never needed a trip to the shop in the whole time I owned it except once when I did something stupid that was not the car's fault. And, of course, it was lot cheaper than a Model S which was all Tesla had at the time. But Nissan has failed to run with the ball when they had an advantage. I'll never understand that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Evoforce
Sure, you can debate the value of all the features and capabilities, but the one of the biggest reasons buyers will be choosing a Bolt EV, Kona Electric or LEAF in 2019 is because it has a rear hatch with the associated cargo flexibility. Add in uncertainty with Tesla buying process/quality/serviceability, fear of loosing the dealer network or brand loyalty and there’s a significant population that won’t pay much attention to the Model 3.
You can say that, but I think nowadays people looking for hatchback cargo capacity are buying crossovers or small SUVs. The Leaf really doesn't have that much space in the back. Also, after the last car buying episode with our local Nissan dealer, I'm not wanting to do business with them again. I think the Model Y is going to the cargo "problem" for people that need that. Also, I should point out that compared to Model 3 sales, Leaf sales have been dismal in the US. Many people that bought M3s even at the much higher price were previous Leaf owners (like me.) I think Elon said something like 50% were coming from much less expensive cars.

Reactions: Evoforce
Not sure what you mean by "significant population", but the Model 3 has outsold all of the vehicles you mentioned combined and that's before the base model was even released.

Reactions: Donz_S
Not sure what you mean by "significant population", but the Model 3 has outsold all of the vehicles you mentioned combined and that's before the base model was even released.
The question at hand is, "Is there any other EV can even touch the M3 at $35K?" The answer for many people is obviously yes, for reasons stated above. Those "many people" are not the ones surfing TMC on Saturday morning.

The question at hand is, "Is there any other EV can even touch the M3 at $35K?" The answer for many people is obviously yes, for reasons stated above. Those "many people" are not the ones surfing TMC on Saturday morning.
The many people you mention apparently don't purchase EVs either because the sales numbers shows that not only is the M3 untouchable at $35k, it's untouchable even when it's more expensive.

Monthly Plug-In EV Sales Scorecard

Reactions: Scott7
Ah, then we certainly have different definitions of "untouchable"!

Looking at the Jan 2019 data, 6500 of 17000 EV buyers got a Model 3. Over 60% of the EV buyers opted for a different EV.
If you read the chart correctly, you will see that most of the 17k that you reference are not EVs, they are also hybrids. If you only take into account EVs (the ones with a battery next to the name). You will see that 6,500 Model 3 were sold in January and non Teslas added up to 2,539 or as a % the Model 3 was 72% of the EV market in January.

Reactions: Donz_S